Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,768 times

Advertisements

I'm currently about to start my senior year in high school in the US. It's about that time to start applying to universities and I'm really looking to get my degree internationally and was wondering which universities would be best for engineering (Electrical or Mechanical). Aside from just rankings, what is the reputation for the schools within the UK/Europe? Worldwide reputation? Also, how do you think an American would fit in at uni?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,826 times
I went to a British uni for the first year of my university career (currently going into my 3rd year of undergrad) because I was living over there with my family (we moved back to the US in May 2011) and it was just easier than going to a uni in the US and commuting back and forth, etc., etc. However, once we moved back, I transferred to an American school. Overall, I had a very positive experience with my school. Of course, as with any school anywhere, I had some complaints, but it was really okay overall, as I said. As for "fitting in", I fit in just fine and I would imagine you would as well. I made some of my closest friends in uni (that I'm still very much in touch with) and have a plethora of good memories of my experiences with the people. Also, British unis (like American ones) tend to be very international in their student populations. You'll more than likely go to school with students from all over the world (including other Americans), which is a fantastic experience in itself. You'll also have amazing opportunities to travel if you're in the UK which, obviously, is a huge bonus. And with international friends from so many different countries, it can be very cheap if you are able to go and stay with them. Because then you get free housing and a free tour guide

As for the engineering degree, I honestly couldn't tell you about UK schools or their rankings in that particular degree course, but I think the one that pops into my mind first would be Cambridge. However, I'm sure any major British uni would be fine and it would carry enough of a "good reputation" to be accepted anywhere in the world. British unis have the reputation of being among the very best in the world, let alone Europe.

Have you ever been to the UK? My biggest piece of advice would be to go and actually visit the schools that you're interested in and try to get a feel for them. Going to college is already a huge shock to the system, let alone doing it in a foreign country. You really would have a double wammy of 1) just going to college and 2) dealing with living in a foreign country (which can be very intimidating at first). Also, you have to remember that there is a different style of teaching than in the US and the curriculum may differ both in terms of content and the way in which it is taught. There are different expectations/requirements from students in the different systems as well. And don't forget that they have a completely different grading scale too. You also wouldn't be coming home very often (maybe once or twice during the year) as it's too far and expensive. Also, some of the breaks are different (remember, no Thanksgiving ). Continuing on that point, if there ever was an emergency at home or one with yourself, you can't just hop on a plane and go home in an hour or two. It's a long commute no matter which way you spin it. As a Texan, I'm sure you won't be too keen on the weather (bring good rain gear) either. I'm not trying to say these things to discourage you from going (because I think that it could be an amazing experience for you), but I think that these are things that you need to think about and consider before just jumping on in.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I went to a British uni for the first year of my university career (currently going into my 3rd year of undergrad) because I was living over there with my family (we moved back to the US in May 2011) and it was just easier than going to a uni in the US and commuting back and forth, etc., etc. However, once we moved back, I transferred to an American school. Overall, I had a very positive experience with my school. Of course, as with any school anywhere, I had some complaints, but it was really okay overall, as I said. As for "fitting in", I fit in just fine and I would imagine you would as well. I made some of my closest friends in uni (that I'm still very much in touch with) and have a plethora of good memories of my experiences with the people. Also, British unis (like American ones) tend to be very international in their student populations. You'll more than likely go to school with students from all over the world (including other Americans), which is a fantastic experience in itself. You'll also have amazing opportunities to travel if you're in the UK which, obviously, is a huge bonus. And with international friends from so many different countries, it can be very cheap if you are able to go and stay with them. Because then you get free housing and a free tour guide

As for the engineering degree, I honestly couldn't tell you about UK schools or their rankings in that particular degree course, but I think the one that pops into my mind first would be Cambridge. However, I'm sure any major British uni would be fine and it would carry enough of a "good reputation" to be accepted anywhere in the world. British unis have the reputation of being among the very best in the world, let alone Europe.

Have you ever been to the UK? My biggest piece of advice would be to go and actually visit the schools that you're interested in and try to get a feel for them. Going to college is already a huge shock to the system, let alone doing it in a foreign country. You really would have a double wammy of 1) just going to college and 2) dealing with living in a foreign country (which can be very intimidating at first). Also, you have to remember that there is a different style of teaching than in the US and the curriculum may differ both in terms of content and the way in which it is taught. There are different expectations/requirements from students in the different systems as well. And don't forget that they have a completely different grading scale too. You also wouldn't be coming home very often (maybe once or twice during the year) as it's too far and expensive. Also, some of the breaks are different (remember, no Thanksgiving ). Continuing on that point, if there ever was an emergency at home or one with yourself, you can't just hop on a plane and go home in an hour or two. It's a long commute no matter which way you spin it. As a Texan, I'm sure you won't be too keen on the weather (bring good rain gear) either. I'm not trying to say these things to discourage you from going (because I think that it could be an amazing experience for you), but I think that these are things that you need to think about and consider before just jumping on in.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for the insight! And don't worry, I've really considered all of the pros and cons of an overseas education. Didn't just wake up and decide. And regarding the weather, the UK climate would be much preferable to me right now. I'm sick and tired of the harsh 110 degree summers and the 0 degree winters lol.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,557 times
For the heavy sciences, Imperial college London.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,608,182 times
For electrical engineering, Southampton would be the best in the country.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,756 times
Another vote for Imperial here. Don't forget that the more famous the institution the higher the fees. A 3 year course, including fees + living expenses won't leave you much change out of $100,000.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Another vote for Imperial here. Don't forget that the more famous the institution the higher the fees. A 3 year course, including fees + living expenses won't leave you much change out of $100,000.
My son has just done 3 years at University (not in London) and just on the fees, rent and bills it's cost him £40,000+ ($62,500). That's not including food, travel expenses or anything else. If he'd have stayed on for his Masters (which he wanted) it would have been another £12,000 ($18,750) as there's no Government grant for a Masters (you have to get a 'loan' direct from the University or sponsored). Studying here is not cheap.

As to a ranking of Universities: Top UK University League Tables and Rankings 2013 - Complete University Guide

The list can also be broken down by subject too.

Being from the US isn't an issue with regards to fitting in at a UK University. UK Universities have people from all over the world attend them. My sons course had a South African, a couple of Canadians, an Australian and several European Nationalities.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,856 times
The university of St. Andrews in Fife, Scotland

Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
Oxford, Cambridge, York, Imperial College...but the 'best' university is going to vary on what you're trying to study. In terms of prestige, though, Oxford and Cambridge lead the pack by miles.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,742 times
Have a think about whether you want to be in London or not, or whether you want a 'campus' university or not. The experience will differ. I went to Exeter for economics - its a good university and has a great reputation with employers in the UK. It can be a little clicky and old school but it's a lovely campus and a nice part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom