Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times

Advertisements

Check out Recipes, Party Food, Cooking Guides, Dinner Ideas, and Grocery Coupons - Delish.com for some great ideas---there is a section with suggestions of products that are representative of each state. May be a bit pricy, but will help you on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM

317 posts, read 412,604 times
If all they sent you Scottish shortbread and English tea, just send them some root beer and salsa and call it good.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Items I've considered:

Pancake Mix and Maple Syrup

Brownies

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Carrot Cake

Lemon Cake
As someone else said, all those things are very, very common in the UK. To be honest you can even get Ghiradelli brownie mix. Pancake mix is very common. The trouble nowadays, the UK is so international you can get practically anything - that's why I suggested the marshmallows and graham crackers as they were the only things I could think of not available there.
Cornbread might be a good idea as people would not know what that was, but would it travel well?

How about something more personal ie local to where you live? Some of my relations took back fortune cookies from the factory in China town where they were invented here in San Francisco.
Which state do you live in? Is there anything special made there? San Francisco is famous for its clam chowder for example. Obviously you couldn't send that but maybe something a little less perishable and transportable from where you live?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM

670 posts, read 905,506 times
The thing is that most of the things I crave really aren't suitable for a christmas hamper. It would include some awesome BBQ brisket, ribs and all the fixins from my favorite BBQ joints in Texas and my friends late aunt who lived in Wisconsin, German chocolate cake, none of this cake in a box nonsense. She made hers from scratch. My friend Lena makes the best corn bread that I'd also welcome.

If you really insist you could send some really bad American cheese.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
The thing is that most of the things I crave really aren't suitable for a christmas hamper. It would include some awesome BBQ brisket, ribs and all the fixins from my favorite BBQ joints in Texas and my friends late aunt who lived in Wisconsin, German chocolate cake, none of this cake in a box nonsense. She made hers from scratch. My friend Lena makes the best corn bread that I'd also welcome.

String, of course

Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleneO View Post
Tsk Tsk. For good American cheese, you have to get it from an artisanal cheese maker, or shop at a store that sells them.

The Best American Artisanal Cheeses and Cheesemakers

The Atlas of American Artisan Cheese-Artisanal Premium Cheese

Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM

46 posts, read 139,638 times
Britain has so much variety when it comes to their grocery stores, the only thing I'm thinking that's not huge over there are Mexican dishes...so jar of Picante Sauce, also I know my dad can't get a good clam chowder (New England one) in the UK like he does in the US.
Pancake ingredients are different in the UK, so the US version would be cool. Maybe Hidden Vally Ranch, or a good classic barbecue sauce. Just don't send Hershey chocolate or they will gag on it. Candy wise, nothing will impress them so don't bother with that....unless it's an Almond Joy..I like them, their equivalent is Bounty but without the almond.
Also if they are really into home cooking, send cornstarch..they have something very close to it called corn flour over there but does leave a slight taste.. alas cornstarch is better for thickening over corn flour.

Last edited by nickie74; 09-18-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I keep hearing stuff about sending Salsa or BBQ Sauce. Have heard about the Ranch Dressing also. Another common suggestion is Welch's Grape Jam or Jelly. Also Apple Butter.

I wonder if they'd like Vidallia Dressing? Vidallia Onions only grow in a small section of Georgia and they are the mildest sweetest onions you've ever had. They make a wonderful dressing.

BTW, I would NEVER send Hershey's Chocolate. To tell you the truth, I'm sick to death hearing about freaking Hershey's on every British web site out there. There are other choices, people. Every city in America has small artisan chocolate makers that know what they are doing. Failing that, if you're stranded in America in desperate need of chocolate, you can always go with Ghirardelli. Their products are in most mainstream grocery stores. Try the Ghirardelli Squares - the raspberry filled are my favorite.

Ghirardelli - Premium Chocolate and Chocolate Gifts

Another idea I've heard is to go with local producers of almost anything - whatever is a specialty of your area. For instance, we have a local orchard that makes wonderful jams and jellies with very unique flavorings added. We have a lot of locally-produced food in the U.S. that is entirely missed by many visitors. You have to buy it direct or go to an upscale or natural foods grocery store instead of the mainstream ones.

I've also heard suggestions of decent snack foods that might be slightly different, but I'm not sure which ones. For instance, I know there are potato chips (crisps) in the U.K. But are there BBQ-flavored ones? What about the equivalent of Smart Food Popcorn? It's dusted in White Cheddar. What about Sweet Potato Chips?

Good thing I'm figuring this out ahead of time because, clearly, some of my ideas are off the rails.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 09-19-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
The trouble nowadays, the UK is so international you can get practically anything - that's why I suggested the marshmallows and graham crackers as they were the only things I could think of not available there.

Cornbread might be a good idea as people would not know what that was, but would it travel well?

How about something more personal ie local to where you live?
It's not that your idea of S'mores is really bad. It's that I can't send something I personally hate, even if they would love it. I've even seen British web sites where they talk about really liking Graham Crackers all by themselves. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but it's hard for me to get excited about. I have a mental block about the crackers!

As far as Cornbread, I could send a very good mix. I saw a lot of British people really loving the cornbread and wishing they could get it. I love it too.

Yes, there are definitely local choices.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It's not that your idea of S'mores is really bad. It's that I can't send something I personally hate, even if they would love it. I've even seen British web sites where they talk about really liking Graham Crackers all by themselves. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but it's hard for me to get excited about. I have a mental block about the crackers!

As far as Cornbread, I could send a very good mix. I saw a lot of British people really loving the cornbread and wishing they could get it. I love it too.

Yes, there are definitely local choices.

I would send something local to where you are. My in laws sent my parents a little pack once of some pumpkin marmalade, and a little book of pictures of their home town with some little touristy gifts from the area. They loved that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom