Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,434,032 times

Advertisements

Reading through threads of those travelling to the UK from the US I can see folks are getting excited about exploring a new country and I thought I'd chime in with advice on money.

Firstly before you leave home make sure you have informed your bank and your credit card company that you are visiting the UK. Naturally if all of a sudden the bank see's cards being used in a foreign country they will put a hold on it so its best to tell them first and much easier than trying to contact them from your hotel room after being embarrassed in a store.

Credit/debit cards
The UK uses 'chip and pin' system in most stores. This is a chip on your credit card that goes into a special reader to pay for goods. Stores will also swipe cards but we found that a few (including one hotel) didn't have the ability to do this. Our new airline card just arrived through (yes 2 weeks after we arrived home) with a chip on it, if your card doesn't have a chip it might be worth contacting them to ask if they are adding them and if so update your card before you leave. Also Discover card is not accepted in the UK.

Cash
Foreign visitors can use ATM's or Cashpoints as they are called in the UK to withdraw cash funds. Usual security measures apply, don't let anyone see you punching in your PIN take care with any cash you withdraw, usually I got hubby to stand really close to me while I was using the machine and we shared any cash I withdrew so if one of us 'lost' some we wouldn't totally be out. This seems like a common sense piece of info however talking to friends who just visited the UK for the first time I found out that each time they needed cash they went to a bureau de change where the exchange rates are always higher.

Tax refunds
For some gift purchases you can get a special receipt to claim back some of the VAT. They will also give you an envelope with all the directions on how to get your refund included. Do it, usually you get 10% back which soon adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,224,736 times
Great tips Jan Alaska, especially about being cautious at ATM/Cashpoints.

I also like to recommend to travelers to either get fifty or a hundred Pounds or Euros from their local U.S. bank before departure - OR - stop at the first ATM/Cashpoint they see in the airport. Usually right after exiting with baggage. Having local funds makes arranging transport into town so much easier. Or picking up a quick snack/drink for the journey.

AND - remember to bring a few coins back to the U.S. for the nieces and nephews to pocket.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,585,371 times
And for figuring out what you're actually spending when traveling, go to Oanda.com right before you leave, and print out the "Traveler's Cheatsheet." Use it for a while, but then get used to thinking in pounds. Everything will be more expensive than at home, but that's a given. You'll get used to it!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,434,032 times
You know its one of those things .. once you think you've said all you need to say then another thought pops into your head.

In the UK the price you see is the price you pay, unlike in the States where they add it on at the register the whopping 20% VAT is already there.

Also at the petrol (gas) station, Regular has a green handle and diesel has a black one, and you pump your gas then head inside to pay. I think we saw a couple of pay-at-the-pump stations but of course they require you have a chip on your card so inside you must go. Rental companies are more likely to give you a diesel car over there and never fear they are quicker than diesels of old and get @ 50mpg (our last rental an Audi A3 got 60+ so we only visited the gas station twice in 2 weeks)

I think thats all, I'll chime in with anything else I remember

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,939,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
You know its one of those things .. once you think you've said all you need to say then another thought pops into your head.

In the UK the price you see is the price you pay, unlike in the States where they add it on at the register the whopping 20% VAT is already there.

Also at the petrol (gas) station, Regular has a green handle and diesel has a black one, and you pump your gas then head inside to pay. I think we saw a couple of pay-at-the-pump stations but of course they require you have a chip on your card so inside you must go. Rental companies are more likely to give you a diesel car over there and never fear they are quicker than diesels of old and get @ 50mpg (our last rental an Audi A3 got 60+ so we only visited the gas station twice in 2 weeks)

I think thats all, I'll chime in with anything else I remember
And you do not need to leave 15% - 20% tip

I usually leave a couple of pounds tip if the service has been very good and you never tip in pubs. 10% would be an absolute maximum and the server would need to walk on water to get that.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,182,030 times
We have done the math and found that food in general, a night in the pub and eating out is a good bit cheaper in the UK than where we live, especially when you don't have to leave a tip. Fuel is twice the price but the cars get twice the MPG's so that's a wash. If you have to replace any camera stuff or computer stuff in the UK, well, that's gonna cost you.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Interesting. The tipping situation will definitely bring the price of eating out down compared to the US, from what I can piece together from online menu prices.

My understanding is that we will need to tip bellmen, concierges, room service, etc at hotels. Is that correct?

We plan on getting some English pounds before we leave to have on hand the minute our feet hit the ground. We have a travel checking account that's separate from our other checking account, with it's own debit cards. Last time we went to Europe, we called our cell phone company and got our international service activated, which was convenient for making local calls.

We took one credit card and our debit cards and called the banks before we left to tell them the countries we would be in - and we had no problems at all anywhere. We were in central Europe and our Discover card was accepted in most places.

This website says that Discover is accepted in the UK. Maybe it's just somewhat limited. We'll see! But we'll just bring a "regular ol' Visa card" as well to be safe. Our travel agent has been using our Discover card to pay for things we've been reserving in England and so far so good.

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...ional-use.html

Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. The tipping situation will definitely bring the price of eating out down compared to the US, from what I can piece together from online menu prices.

My understanding is that we will need to tip bellmen, concierges, room service, etc at hotels. Is that correct?

We plan on getting some English pounds before we leave to have on hand the minute our feet hit the ground. We have a travel checking account that's separate from our other checking account, with it's own debit cards. Last time we went to Europe, we called our cell phone company and got our international service activated, which was convenient for making local calls.

We took one credit card and our debit cards and called the banks before we left to tell them the countries we would be in - and we had no problems at all anywhere. We were in central Europe and our Discover card was accepted in most places.

This website says that Discover is accepted in the UK. Maybe it's just somewhat limited. We'll see! But we'll just bring a "regular ol' Visa card" as well to be safe. Our travel agent has been using our Discover card to pay for things we've been reserving in England and so far so good.

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...ional-use.html
Hotels
As with anywhere in the world, a porter bringing your bags to your room expects to receive a cash tip. Around £2 would be reasonable.

You should not tip room service bringing food/drinks to your room.

A few guests choose to leave a tip for their chambermaid, and this would be considerate especially if you have left a mess in your room, but it is not a requirement.

In smaller hotels and guesthouses tipping is unexpected as they tend to be family run establishments. Such places appreciate repeat custom or positive feedback on recommendation sites.

United Kingdom: Tipping & Etiquette - TripAdvisor

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Hotels
As with anywhere in the world, a porter bringing your bags to your room expects to receive a cash tip. Around £2 would be reasonable.

You should not tip room service bringing food/drinks to your room.

A few guests choose to leave a tip for their chambermaid, and this would be considerate especially if you have left a mess in your room, but it is not a requirement.

In smaller hotels and guesthouses tipping is unexpected as they tend to be family run establishments. Such places appreciate repeat custom or positive feedback on recommendation sites.

United Kingdom: Tipping & Etiquette - TripAdvisor
Don't expect to do to much of this but if we do, should we round up to the nearest pound? Also, with porters, I've heard a pound per bag - I guess this would be acceptable?

Also, we are staying in a family run B and B in Yorkshire, so thanks for the heads' up on NOT tipping them. We do always give feedback on TripAdvisor, especially if we received good service, so it's good to know that's all that they will be expecting.

Americans are generous tippers so my husband may be hard to rein in!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't expect to do to much of this but if we do, should we round up to the nearest pound? Also, with porters, I've heard a pound per bag - I guess this would be acceptable?

Also, we are staying in a family run B and B in Yorkshire, so thanks for the heads' up on NOT tipping them. We do always give feedback on TripAdvisor, especially if we received good service, so it's good to know that's all that they will be expecting.

Americans are generous tippers so my husband may be hard to rein in!
It is really up to you how much you choose to tip. I just wanted to highlight that the expectations are very different. I would not tip a pound a bag but I would probably give a couple of pounds to a porter bringing my bags to the room.

Also ... pubs often do tasty and reasonably priced lunches and can be a better alternative than restaurants. For breakfast, check out what your hotel is charging. You may find you can get a much better deal by walking a couple of blocks and getting breakfast in a local cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom