Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,435,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, I'm not joking - I'm spoiled to Sirius/XM.
I've never listened to that; I listen to NPR.

Quote:
BigDGeek - I really enjoy reading your perspective on things, but I really do wish you'd read what I write a bit more carefully! Most of my post was tongue in cheek and meant to be taken that way.
It's OK. I do realize you were being tongue in cheek but that is a hard emotion for me to convey, especially in writing, since I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Quote:
I also clarified that people here wear skinny jeans too. However, I just returned from London - and it seemed that nearly WITHOUT EXCEPTION everyone - EVERYONE of all ages - seemed to be wearing skinny jeans! I mean - it was as if some giant shrinking machine had descended on the city and shrunk everyone's clothing up two or three sizes (including men's jackets and shirts, now that I think about it). I know it's a fad there - it's a fad here too - but in London (not Yorkshire), it seemed as if there simply were no other available clothing styles or something. It was crazy!
I believe you!

Quote:
I've been to Dallas recently and didn't notice the nearly universal usage of skinny jeans, though of course I saw people wearing them (they wear them here in my little East Texas town as well - and like most Dallasites and Londoners, probably SHOULDN'T!). They're probably even more popular in the big cities on our East Coast.
Depends on where you go I guess!

Quote:
But all that aside, I was kidding for the most part about my "complaints" about the UK. In fact, I was hoping that people would realize that my "complaints" were quite petty - as in, "Wow, is that all she could find wrong with the UK?"

Yep, that's what I mean - the positives FAR outweighed the little petty inconveniences and idiosyncrasies that I encountered.

I'll be back - wearing skinny jeans. It won't be pretty, but I'll fit right in!
By the time you go back they'll be on a different trend. Don't worry about trying to blend in in London...no matter how you dress, you won't blend. And that's OK!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,444,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Quote:
I've never listened to that; I listen to NPR.
OH, OK - well, NPR is on Sirius/XM too and I listen to it a lot. There are also several BBC stations I listen to quite a bit (mostly news). S/XM is satellite radio with about a million stations of every genre, most of them commercial free. So yes - I'm spoiled!

Quote:
t's OK. I do realize you were being tongue in cheek but that is a hard emotion for me to convey, especially in writing, since I have Asperger's Syndrome.
Ah - I see! That makes sense - will keep that in mind in the future!

Quote:
By the time you go back they'll be on a different trend. Don't worry about trying to blend in in London...no matter how you dress, you won't blend. And that's OK!
Oh I know - the diversity of London is amazing and one of the things I really like about it!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
OH, OK - well, NPR is on Sirius/XM too and I listen to it a lot. There are also several BBC stations I listen to quite a bit (mostly news). S/XM is satellite radio with about a million stations of every genre, most of them commercial free. So yes - I'm spoiled!

I like regular radio because I don't have to pay a monthly fee to listen to it.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I like regular radio because I don't have to pay a monthly fee to listen to it.
I know what you mean - I didn't have it in my car at all, till my husband said, "Oh good grief, I hate driving your car anywhere without satellite radio! I'll pay for it - just sign up for it!"

LOL - does that make him my sugar daddy?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean - I didn't have it in my car at all, till my husband said, "Oh good grief, I hate driving your car anywhere without satellite radio! I'll pay for it - just sign up for it!"

LOL - does that make him my sugar daddy?
Erm no.

I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and U-verse, so I'm hardly one to talk.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Erm no.

I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and U-verse, so I'm hardly one to talk.
What's U Verse? I'm not paying for that one yet!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,564,505 times
Quote:
I'm American but have lived in the UK before. The high cost of living there combined with the lower QOL that low salaries/high COL brings was a deciding factor in me leaving the country. I also was put off by xenophobia and the fact that British people are very difficult to befriend...for an American, anyway. I found I was constantly offended and hurt by British reserve even when no hurt/offense was meant. It's just a different culture, and one I found I could not live in and be happy.
I'm betting you lived in or near London or one of the big cities in England, right?

You have to be able to laugh at yourself here. Took me at least a year to get used to the humour. In my experience the expats that seem to be the happiest with living here are the ones in Scotland. The ones in cities in England are the least happy and often repatriate.

Xenophobia? You actually think it's worse in the UK than in the US??

Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm betting you lived in or near London or one of the big cities in England, right?

Nope. Small village outside of York.

Quote:
You have to be able to laugh at yourself here. Took me at least a year to get used to the humour. In my experience the expats that seem to be the happiest with living here are the ones in Scotland. The ones in cities in England are the least happy and often repatriate.
I was there much longer than a year. Never got used to living there. I get the humor.

Quote:
Yes, I do.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,304,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Quote:
Yes, I do.
I tend to agree with this too.

While the US seems to have a much larger problem with race relations, Xenophobia in the UK is almost ubiquitous, consider the following groups.

Whites, Blacks, Indian/Pakistani, Chinese/Japanese, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Protestants, French, German, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Argentines, Russians, Northerners, Southerners, English, Irish, Scots, Welsh, Geordies, Yorkshiremen, Scousers, Mancunians, Brummies, Londoners/Cockneys. (groups with a '/' are often confused with one another, but both apply).

I think if I try I could name a person I know in the UK who detests one or more of each of those groups.

Xenophobia and racism aren't synonymous.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,192,284 times
I hate the fact that the majority of British are agnostic or atheist. Not to say I hate individual atheists or agnostics; I love them. However, I hate the loss of Christian heritage, and the general faithlessness among the British public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom