Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 AM

18,660 posts, read 18,932,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
numptie is someone a bit daft or silly...said in jest not meant as insult.
galoot..a big dumb person..said in jest.............word not used much now.
gadgy...Usually someone dirty with no manners likened to a gypsy.
blootered .. is as you say steaming..... drunk.
bampot or bam....someone foolish
futer... to fiddle
glaiket.. vacant looking.
jag..injection
jessie...wimp.big girls blouse.
scunnered.. sickened
skelp.. slap..
gie it laldy...give it all youve got.

Oh, gawd, you're killing me right now. LOL!

"Glaiket" I know well. Another of my dad's favorites, as was "futer" (though I imagined it spelled footer, but you've set me straight). Oh, yes, and "jag." My dad would use that in doctor's offices when we were kids, and the nurses would just stare at him blankly.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if it were possible to go to college, major in and obtain a PhD in Glaswegian? Mind you, it'd be such a highly specialized field that a person moving out of Glasgow would be unemployable. And no one would be able to comprehend a word he/she said. [/quote]mabye why so many out of work.... the one folk dont talk as broad now and laugh at some of the words... the NEDS however still have their own versions that are X certificate for here hahaha... let me know if you want more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM

2,517 posts, read 5,044,959 times
"Galoot" is familiar to this American; the rest of the words in that list are new to me.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,444,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
"Galoot" is familiar to this American; the rest of the words in that list are new to me.
Same here - that was a hilarious list and the only one I was familiar with was Galoot - as in, "You big galoot, are you a freaking idiot or WHAT?????"

Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM

18,660 posts, read 18,932,706 times
Clout...hit usually on the head.
Cludgie... toilet
Clatty... dirty
Crabbit, bad tempered or grumpy
Dauds....bits or pieces of something.. dauds of breid... bits of bread
Gallus.. self confident sure of yourself
Hackit.. ugly
Greetin.. crying
Greetin faced... grumpy moany face.
Honner... hander in a fight to help
a Jimmy Riddle.. piddle or pee
laughing here myself..

knock ... steal
hoachin.. dirty itching
bote hoose... a house thats mortgaged
swatch... to have a brief look at something
dinghied...being ignored by someone.or not replied to.
clype... to tell tales

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-24-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,493,217 times
Galoot and eejit are heard in the States. The latter usually spelled 'idgit', though.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,180,672 times
More gems that confuse my North American offspring, friends and relatives:

gormless - refers to someone who is a bit dull, lifeless

yonks - ages, "haven't been there in yonks"

yob, yobbo another word for hooligan

chuffed - to be chuffed with something is to be pleased

daft - a gentle term for stupid

kip - a short nap

dekko - lets have a dekko (lets have a look)

diddle - to rip off. if someone got shortchanged they might say they got diddled.

fancy - to fancy someone is to have the hots for them. Also, someone really vain might be described as "really fancying himself." Always cracks up my husband.

engaged - as well as meaning betrothed, it can refer to a telephone line OR a toilet being busy!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,444,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
More gems that confuse my North American offspring, friends and relatives:

gormless - refers to someone who is a bit dull, lifeless

yonks - ages, "haven't been there in yonks"

yob, yobbo another word for hooligan

chuffed - to be chuffed with something is to be pleased

daft - a gentle term for stupid

kip - a short nap

dekko - lets have a dekko (lets have a look)

diddle - to rip off. if someone got shortchanged they might say they got diddled.

fancy - to fancy someone is to have the hots for them. Also, someone really vain might be described as "really fancying himself." Always cracks up my husband.

engaged - as well as meaning betrothed, it can refer to a telephone line OR a toilet being busy!
"Daft," "fancy," and "engaged," (as you defined them) are commonly used as you described in the US.

"No, you don't turn left on red here - are you DAFT????"

"I might fancy a latte in a bit."

"Don't bother me right now - can't you see I'm otherwise engaged?"

The others are new ones for me and I'd have never guessed what they meant, but now I can put my own spin on them:

"Gormless" - sort of like kissing your sister.

"Yonks" as in "I haven't been there since man discovered fire - or in yonks."

"Yob" as in "Oh, don't pay any attention to him when he's wearing those gang colors - he just THINKS he's a gansta - or a yob."

"Chuffed" - "I'm tickled pink about that - and gobsmocked, and now things are right as rain in my world - oh, and I'm chuffed too."

"Kip" - "I think I'll grab a bit of shut eye before the game - and a kip too."

"Dekko" - "I'll have a look-see at that criminal record before I decide whether to go out with you or not. And I'll have a dekko while I'm at it."

"Diddle" - Now this one just won't work at all, because we say "diddle" to mean "diddle daddle" or "dawdle" or "lollygag" or "loiter" or "waste time" - that sort of thing. "Quit your diddling and get out here and help me change this tire!"

Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,180,672 times
How interesting, Kath. I do think there are way more similarities between England and the Southern US states, than between England and Canada or even the northern US states. In talking once to someone from the south, I was shocked to hear some of the terms she used, that I had not heard since being a young girl in the UK. It makes perfect sense, though, doesn't it? There is more English ancestry in the south.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,380,911 times
"Rumor has it"

What the **** can a rumor have lol? Rumor is not a tangible object, it cant ****ing have anything

Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM

2,517 posts, read 5,044,959 times
I'm familiar with "daft," "fancy," and "engaged", like Kathryn, and also "gormless", "chuffed" and "yob/yobbo", although I do think of them as British words. "Diddle" seems to have multiple meanings, some of which are sexual - check urbandictionary.com for more details, and be careful when using that word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom