Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,683,093 times

Advertisements

It's actually illegal to test cows for BSE in the US due to some obscure anti-competitive law. There are estimates that it is very prevalent but without testing it is hard to know how much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM

271 posts, read 370,279 times
I have not been in England many times and those two times have been in London. I never really had English cuisine prepared in a way that would make it just. Both time when I was there I had mostly all the immigrant and Victorian-colonial food they eat like Anglo-Indian Cuisine. I have had black pudding, Beef Wellington and Christmas pudding in Sweden. In United Kingdom I have had Yorkshire pudding, Fish & Chips (sort of Spanish and can be eaten all over the world anyway), Cumberland sausage, After-noon tea and Full English Breakfast and all kinds of preserved fruits. I can tell you that McDonalds in London tastes better than McDonalds in United States. Though, I have tasted all kind of English beer. For me London is about Pubs, Tate modern and quality (but filthy expensive) shopping. I wonder what distinctive English cuisine is other than beer, eggs, meat pie, sausages and casseroles. It seems like the entire English food history is defined by what they got from their colonies.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
Well, without question, it was a scandal, resulting in the almost total eradication of beef stock in the UK. But then stuff happens, like when you pay people to give blood... unscreened 80's USA style.
Coupla points:

1. Many people (myself included) give blood via the Red Cross, which does NOT pay for blood. I never received a penny from donating blood (I was a regular donor before the whole mad cow disease thing). 9.2 MILLION people in the US DONATE (do not SELL or receive money for) nearly 16 MILLION units of blood per year.

2. Blood donated in the USA is VERY intensely screened - and was in the 1980's as well. Of course, we have more intensive screening now, with AIDS...and mad cow disease...and that sort of thing to screen for.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-10-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
It's actually illegal to test cows for BSE in the US due to some obscure anti-competitive law. There are estimates that it is very prevalent but without testing it is hard to know how much.
Time to debunk an urban legend. It is NOT illegal to test cows in the US for BSE. From which bodily orifice is such misinformation pulled?????

The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) tests for BSE in our cattle supply regularly.

BSE (Mad Cow Disease) Ongoing Surveillance Information Center | USDA

Old 07-11-2014, 05:51 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,268,688 times
I'm not allowed to give blood in Finland either because of the whole BSE thing. Damn those mad cows.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM

165 posts, read 190,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'm not allowed to give blood in Finland either because of the whole BSE thing. Damn those mad cows.
I can't give blood either. It's a shame because I have a rarer blood type, and I used to donate.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,426,464 times
So do I.. I remember when I was younger I used to want to go for the free food you get afterwards.. haha

Old 07-11-2014, 11:02 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,268,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
I can't give blood either. It's a shame because I have a rarer blood type, and I used to donate.
Seems a bit silly really, especially when blood is needed. Mine is rare too but its a universal plasma donation so would be good if I could donate.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,683,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Time to debunk an urban legend. It is NOT illegal to test cows in the US for BSE. From which bodily orifice is such misinformation pulled?????

The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) tests for BSE in our cattle supply regularly.

BSE (Mad Cow Disease) Ongoing Surveillance Information Center | USDA
Private testing is illegal. Google Scholar

USDA testing is ineffective and insufficient. That's what you get when you let the beef industry write the laws.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,863,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
We don't have taco bell, and macdonalds uses british meat (not hormone doped) which is non mechanically rendered and non chemically treated.

Oh edit apparently we do have taco bell!, 3 outlets in the UK, never personally seen one.

You're right. I don't typically eat a LOT of beef, but when I was in the UK, I did. The beef was SO good! I had one of the best steaks I've ever had at a little pub in Glasgow (I remember it to this day, and that was a long time ago), and even the mince and potatoes my Nana made for me was outstanding!

I also noticed that British cows are smaller than North American cows. Because they're not given growth hormones, they are at their natural size.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-11-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom