Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,849,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You couldn't beat school dinners when I was a kid! My mother used to make home made beef puddings...... great with chips and mushy peas!!
Oh, no, NOT mushy peas. ANYTHING but mushy peas!

That is one British food that I've never acquired a taste for.

Tell me something, though: growing up in Canada, we had Marks & Spencer's stores for a long time (they finally closed down all their Canadian stores about 20 years ago). Anyway, one the my favorite things from Marks & Sparks was their buttercream chocolate rolls. Unbelievable!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do they still sell them at Marks & Spencer's in the UK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 03:07 PM

85 posts, read 121,414 times
Oh and you really must try British blueberrier (know as bilberries, bleaberries plus other name) They are outta this world, but good luck with that... they're no commercially available, you'll have to go pick them somewhere remote in the UK. fortunately most Brits don't know what they are either mwarrrrhhh!! (they are similar to an american blueberry, different species, but actually taste of something, good for you too.)

Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,415,762 times
Mushy peas are gross.. I love some of our food, but stuff like that is just disgusting to me!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM

165 posts, read 189,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
So do I.. I remember when I was younger I used to want to go for the free food you get afterwards.. haha
The only thing I ever got was a band-aid! Lol

Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 PM

165 posts, read 189,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Seems a bit silly really, especially when blood is needed. Mine is rare too but its a universal plasma donation so would be good if I could donate.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Private testing is illegal. Google Scholar

USDA testing is ineffective and insufficient. That's what you get when you let the beef industry write the laws.
I don't guess you want to compare BSE rates in HUMANS per country, do you?

Apparently, whatever we're doing over here is working.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,557 times
I might be wrong, but I believe US beef is banned in Europe. Is it because of the synthetic hormones pumped into these animals?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 AM

16,675 posts, read 17,447,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I might be wrong, but I believe US beef is banned in Europe. Is it because of the synthetic hormones pumped into these animals?
I seem to recall that Growth Hormone was used in cattle.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,256,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
Oh and you really must try British blueberrier (know as bilberries, bleaberries plus other name) They are outta this world, but good luck with that... they're no commercially available, you'll have to go pick them somewhere remote in the UK. fortunately most Brits don't know what they are either mwarrrrhhh!! (they are similar to an american blueberry, different species, but actually taste of something, good for you too.)
Bilberries are lush, so much better than blueberries. They grow over here too, picked my first one of the year the other day (not quite ready yet, was a bit sour)

Old 07-12-2014, 04:20 AM

85 posts, read 121,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Bilberries are lush, so much better than blueberries. They grow over here too, picked my first one of the year the other day (not quite ready yet, was a bit sour)
Certainly are, utter, utter pain to pick enough to make a pie with, but well worth the effort and the bright purple tongue afterwards !!

Don't know if it's the same in Finland but some years, they just don't crop in the UK. Damn I'm now hankering for a bilberry pie and whipped cream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom