Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
speak for yourself , leaving the uk was a great success for the most part for the republic of ireland , ireland is democratic for longer than most european nations and has been since independence
Ireland has managed to mess up every generation since it gained independence and is now little more than a runt EU state at the beck and call of Germany and its bankers.
It ceded control of its currency and has virtually no say in its economic planning.
An entire generation of young Irish people has once again been forced to leave the country to find work elsewhere with the majority,once again,finding it in the UK.
It has hardly any culture of its own apart from a few small areas in the West of Ireland,the country's viewing habits are dominated by UK tv,its most popular sport is the Premier League,its most successful supermarkets are English and German and even its national drink Guinness has long been owned by a British company.
The last time I was there I was in a pub when an old boy started up a traditional sing-song in the corner and he was told to be quiet because people were watching Eastenders on the TV.
Independence me arse.
If that's your idea of independence you can have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
IMO the best way to pave the way for Irish unification would be for Ireland to restore the monarchy as a concession to Northern Ireland's unionist community. There's only going to be two ways Ireland will ever become united again: the restoration of the monarchy, or the reunification of Ireland and the UK as a constituent country in a future federal UK.

Ireland has been an economic disaster since independence with the notable exception of the 1990s "Celtic Tiger". I do believe that when the UK adopts a federal system (and it's inevitable) there will be a serious movement in Ireland to join up.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO the best way to pave the way for Irish unification would be for Ireland to restore the monarchy as a concession to Northern Ireland's unionist community.

There's only going to be two ways Ireland will ever become united again: the restoration of the monarchy, or the reunification of Ireland and the UK as a constituent country in a future federal UK.
There's considerable support among intelligent business people for Ireland to join the Commonwealth but as you'd expect they tend to get shouted down by barstool republicans.
The reality is even most Catholics north of the border would prefer to remain where they are - free healthcare,corruption-free politicians and a lack of inferiority complex among the many reason why.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 8,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
There's considerable support among intelligent business people for Ireland to join the Commonwealth but as you'd expect they tend to get shouted down by barstool republicans.
The reality is even most Catholics north of the border would prefer to remain where they are - free healthcare,corruption-free politicians and a lack of inferiority complex among the many reason why.
The sad thing is though, it's always been those bright business people you speak of who have the cop on to get out of there leaving the "barstool republicans" behind to run the place... so it's a never-ending brain drain!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
You are absolutely correct, polling over the last several years has shown a rise in support for unionism among Northern Irish Catholics, over half now support staying part of the UK.

The Kingdom will remain United
Quote:
Yet behind the rhetoric and rally cries, the reality is that, for the foreseeable future, there will be no united Ireland. Given the stark economic challenges facing a near-bankrupt Republic, unity is a far-off prospect.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:57 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
You know until the two entities figure out the WHY's there will never be a unified Ireland.

The Commonwealth idea is interesting though but would it follow that Ireland's participation follow identically as the others currently part of it? That appears 'complex' too. There obviously would be much debate there.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
You are absolutely correct, polling over the last several years has shown a rise in support for unionism among Northern Irish Catholics, over half now support staying part of the UK.
I'm not sure that comment is accurately reflective of the majority of Nationalists/Republicans, but it is an interesting notion.
Don't forget that more & more of the clamoring for jettisoning NI from the UK is coming from UK citizens themselves, the English nationalists in particular.

We in the states have our own debates about the economic drain the welfare state puts on the producers(i.e. workers who pay taxes) vs. those who leach off the government teat. It would seem as if the Unionists within NI are more reminiscent of the UK glory days than the country that started it all, England. They seem to feel under represented in the modern day UK, and NI is but one reason.

Is that too bold a statement, or do I paint an accurate picture?

`

Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I'm not sure that comment is accurately reflective of the majority of Nationalists/Republicans, but it is an interesting notion.
Don't forget that more & more of the clamoring for jettisoning NI from the UK is coming from UK citizens themselves, the English nationalists in particular.

We in the states have our own debates about the economic drain the welfare state puts on the producers(i.e. workers who pay taxes) vs. those who leach off the government teat. It would seem as if the Unionists within NI are more reminiscent of the UK glory days than the country that started it all, England. They seem to feel under represented in the modern day UK, and NI is but one reason.

Is that too bold a statement, or do I paint an accurate picture?

`
Driving from Dublin to Belfast it's very obvious when you cross the border even though there isn't a signpost saying so.
The road instantly become better,the hedgerows are looked after,the usual detritus and debris is cleared and generally the whole infrastructure along the carriageway is improved.
When the motorway between Dublin and Cork first opened there wasn't even a motorway service station or rest area built so if you needed to use a bathroom your only option was behind a tree at the side of the road.
There are also many border areas still under the control of former terrorists indulging in all sorts of illegal activities such as fuel-laundering and smuggling.
Catholics in the North are all too aware of how badly managed the Irish economy has always been - even in the boom years there was poor investment in infrastructure.
I have friends in Ireland who tell me every single hospital has patients sleeping on trolleys/gurneys in corridors because there are insufficient beds - every night of the year.
Why on earth would a Catholic living in the North want to step back in time to an inferior lifestyle for some notional political reason - with the possible prospect of being led by former terrorists and drug dealers.It just doesn't make sense.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:49 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
^
ki d if like the sutuation that occurred betwen the 'two' Germany's, West and East. One 'rich, one 'poor'. As we know time, events, environment and ideas eventually converged to an extent that there came a push for reunification between the two political and economic entities. Did it work? Yes but it was expensive!

I am not saying that the actual way of German unification is the way to go but nevertheless it shows that states divided can be 'unified'. And that requires sustaining effort and an appreciation for common goals. NI, the South and the UK aren't there yet but they have a paradigm to look at.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Ireland has managed to mess up every generation since it gained independence and is now little more than a runt EU state at the beck and call of Germany and its bankers.
It ceded control of its currency and has virtually no say in its economic planning.
An entire generation of young Irish people has once again been forced to leave the country to find work elsewhere with the majority,once again,finding it in the UK.
It has hardly any culture of its own apart from a few small areas in the West of Ireland,the country's viewing habits are dominated by UK tv,its most popular sport is the Premier League,its most successful supermarkets are English and German and even its national drink Guinness has long been owned by a British company.
The last time I was there I was in a pub when an old boy started up a traditional sing-song in the corner and he was told to be quiet because people were watching Eastenders on the TV.
Independence me arse.
If that's your idea of independence you can have it.
if thats your idea of anything other than pointless ranting , jog on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom