Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Prior to Bombay Street, there were Protestant families burnt out below Townsend Street and behind Hastings Street police station

As a 14-year-old schoolboy living in a street close to the interface at that time, Sam McCrory remembers the fear felt in unionist households.

"Prior to Bombay Street, there were Protestant families burnt out below Townsend Street and behind Hastings Street police station," he said.

"I'll never forget the noise of the hordes gathering and my dad telling me that they were coming in, they were coming in to burn us out.

"That will live with me until the day I die."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 06:11 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
So I am living in the past Vector1 because I do not fit into your pocket or your stuff about SF/IRA?! hhm, maybe I could passingly just accept that your life across the pond is bit more limited. Having been involved in my city community both socially and politically as well as holding public office you do surmise some form of knowledge about Ulster and people like Ulsterman and indeed I are not iving in the past and you just ignore that stuff you have come out with regarding Protestants , Unionism and much else. Living in a land as you do with a terrible internal history you are pushing it re over here. Passing derogatory comment about Ulster Protestant Unionist political things as well as the guff about the "progress" of SF/IRA. You do have a bias of your own and come on here from a country with a worse history internally.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
How could you even know what started the modern day troubles, as few can agree on it.
For example, explain why what people like Ulsterman, Johnny Adair and Malachi O'Doherty all have differing dates the "Troubles" started, yet none precede the attacks on Catholics in 1966 with petrol bombs?

I would not be so presumptuous as to declare when or who started it. Yet so far you have not come up with a date, yet somehow know with absolute certainty it was the "other guys".

The irony of course is that attitudes like yours and a few others are more likely to be responsible for the troubles starting again, because you see little change over the last few decades.
Since most other people (Orange & Green alike) see the improvement, are they all wrong and you correct?

`
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
So I am living in the past Vector1 because I do not fit into your pocket or your stuff about SF/IRA?! hhm, maybe I could passingly just accept that your life across the pond is bit more limited. Having been involved in my city community both socially and politically as well as holding public office you do surmise some form of knowledge about Ulster and people like Ulsterman and indeed I are not iving in the past and you just ignore that stuff you have come out with regarding Protestants , Unionism and much else. Living in a land as you do with a terrible internal history you are pushing it re over here. Passing derogatory comment about Ulster Protestant Unionist political things as well as the guff about the "progress" of SF/IRA. You do have a bias of your own and come on here from a country with a worse history internally.
Two questions highlighted above yet unanswered by your reply.

When I say something positive about Unionists and/or the UUP/DUP it is ignored by you. But let me give fair criticism of them, and you declare bias.
If I am critical of Irish Nationalists or SF it is ignored by you. But let me give them a compliment or empathize, and you again declare bias.
Maybe you do not realize you are on a multi lane highway, but claim the road is yours going only one way.

As much as you try to frame everything orange is good and green is bad, you will be forever entrenched in your "not an inch" mentality.
Progress has passed you by, and the sad thing is you do not even think you are living in the past.

`

Old 11-07-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I think you may have mixed me up with another poster as I do not remember "calling you out" for using the term.

While we may disagree with the history in specific or nuanced ways, I do not get hung up on semantics like some people do in NI.
Say reunification vs. unified and there is a hidden meaning. Say Londonderry vs. Derry the same thing.
The tiniest of things will set off those who have chips on their shoulders.

For example I see no problem with a limited amount of flags flying, yet in NI, one too many is reason to have a fit.
Marching in a particular area in the street requires only one drum beat during a parade vs. one beat too many.
Until of course you reach a specific spot just a few yards away, then the drumbeats can increase again.
Endless parades commemorating various contentious issues as a means of picking at scabs trying to heal. All done under the guise of celebrating ones heritage.
So much so they have a "season of marching" and apparently many folks do little more than prepare for it during much of the year.
Since the parades are full of pride & prejudice, it is little wonder why the cycle of distrust continues.

Sometimes as an American you just wish people would get over it, and put some of that energy into working together and getting along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyqmLlwzyQA

This is not the Eagles (because they are ridiculously protective of their music), but it is a great song regardless of who covers it.
Any R&R song that quotes Shakespeare should be appreciated by those across the pond!

If I were made the King of NI for 6 months I think I'd have this song blaring everywhere while having Unionists doing volunteer work in Nationalists areas, and visa versa.

`

As an addendum to my previous post (that I can no longer edit) about being King of NI for 6 months, and playing the Eagles song "Get Over It", I forgot a vital component.
The people of NI will not typically respond only to the carrot, they also need the potential of the stick.

So failure to get in your number of volunteer hours per week would subject your segregated part of town to endless loops of listening to Baby Shark;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX20kcp7j5c

or
The Badger song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3I

What could be worse than being subjected to either. It would be worse than waterboarding!
Even the ECHR would say it constituted torture.

Neighbors would then be demanding you go and help the poor _______ areas, or be excommunicated!

`

Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
You cannot give names of the areas which Protestants have taken over from Catholics and that is because it didn't happen. But it has happened the other way about.

On August 1969 before the Catholic mob headed towards the Shankill Road they burned a few Protestant houses on their way.
I don't doubt that, as there are documented cases of attacks on Protestants by Catholics during that time period.

But can you bring yourself to admit Protestants burned out and also killed Catholics approximately 3 years earlier right in the same area?

As I said, I am not so presumptuous as to claim when the sectarian violence started in the new era of the Troubles, but you seem to think it was by Catholics in 1969.
Fine
So explain to us how those who say it started at the hands of Protestants/Loyalists 3 years earlier are wrong?

`

Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I don't doubt that, as there are documented cases of attacks on Protestants by Catholics during that time period.

But can you bring yourself to admit Protestants burned out and also killed Catholics approximately 3 years earlier right in the same area?

As I said, I am not so presumptuous as to claim when the sectarian violence started in the new era of the Troubles, but you seem to think it was by Catholics in 1969.
Fine
So explain to us how those who say it started at the hands of Protestants/Loyalists 3 years earlier are wrong?

`

You give the times and the names of those who were burned out and I'll try and give an answer.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM

November 8 1987 Enniskillen

BBC ON THIS DAY | 8 | 1987: Bomb kills 11 at Enniskillen

Old 11-08-2019, 11:24 AM

November 8 1987

https://www.facebook.com/eddie.mcvea...767741923/?t=0

Old 11-08-2019, 11:58 AM

RJ ...I suppose you'll know about this but just in case you've missed it

ps://www.threescottishsoldiers.org/…/bbc-scotland-to-tel…

Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post

https://apnews.com/61973ff2d09ef7925...Anpbr24z7LI02Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom