Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 10:47 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I ask about the take-over of areas because Ulster Protestants are usually depicted as being a bad people while Irish Catholics are good and don't do any harm. The facts are different... but if you don't agree I'll leave it to you to put me right.

I think why people go on about Rome is because of its track-record.
On a quick note, I am not sure that is correct.
Most people around the globe (unless they have a special interest) do not differentiate you guys from the British overall.
However some moderate Nationalists views the Ulster Protestants as an different animal than the evil "English", which everyone seems to despise.
Just the fact many a Nationalist will say "English" rather than British gives you some insight into how far back their dislike/mistrust of them goes.

So while you might think it splitting hairs, if the Ulster Unionists were to say lets govern our own country with you, a decent amount of moderate Nationalists would be able to live with that. That would also marginalize the Republicans, as their cry of "Brits Out" would be accomplished.
However as we both know, Unionists do not want Britain out of NI, so self governance (other than the present GFA devolution) is likely moot.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
On a quick note, I am not sure that is correct.
Most people around the globe (unless they have a special interest) do not differentiate you guys from the British overall.
However some moderate Nationalists views the Ulster Protestants as an different animal than the evil "English", which everyone seems to despise.
Just the fact many a Nationalist will say "English" rather than British gives you some insight into how far back their dislike/mistrust of them goes.

So while you might think it splitting hairs, if the Ulster Unionists were to say lets govern our own country with you, a decent amount of moderate Nationalists would be able to live with that. That would also marginalize the Republicans, as their cry of "Brits Out" would be accomplished.
However as we both know, Unionists do not want Britain out of NI, so self governance (other than the present GFA devolution) is likely moot.

`

I' still waiting for you to tell me the Catholic areas which Protestants took over and chased the Catholics out.

I will wait on your answer before going onto other issues.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I' still waiting for you to tell me the Catholic areas which Protestants took over and chased the Catholics out.

I will wait on your answer before going onto other issues.
Well I am presently heading out the door, but as I already posted, Catholics have been driven out of their homes/neighborhoods by Protestants, just as has happened to Protestants at the hands of Catholics.

I would have thought the Mad Dog example would have made you remember that even a hardcore Loyalist was aware of it.
That is not to say modern day Unionists have any desire to regain (term for your benefit again ) parts of Ulster or other sections of the RoI.
So I am not sure what you are driving at.

`

Old 11-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well I am presently heading out the door, but as I already posted, Catholics have been driven out of their homes/neighborhoods by Protestants, just as has happened to Protestants at the hands of Catholics.

I would have thought the Mad Dog example would have made you remember that even a hardcore Loyalist was aware of it.
That is not to say modern day Unionists have any desire to regain (term for your benefit again ) parts of Ulster or other sections of the RoI.
So I am not sure what you are driving at.

`

I answered that. I told how the Catholics came to attack the Shankill Road but got the worst of it and retreated. Protestants on their way down the streets tossed petrol bombs and then went back to the Shankill Rd. I repeat I don't know of a Catholic area which was taken over and occupied by Protestants. Maybe you do.?

Catholics too tossed petrol bombs into Protestant areas.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
I answered that. I told how the Catholics came to attack the Shankill Road but got the worst of it and retreated. Protestants on their way down the streets tossed petrol bombs and then went back to the Shankill Rd. I repeat I don't know of a Catholic area which was taken over and occupied by Protestants. Maybe you do.?

Catholics too tossed petrol bombs into Protestant areas.
Ulsterman, we call those Molotov cocktails.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ulsterman, we call those Molotov cocktails.

Aye, Southbound you are right. I remember now. Wasn't its name something to do with a Russian?

Old 11-01-2019, 04:28 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Aye, Southbound you are right. I remember now. Wasn't its name something to do with a Russian?
I seem to remember from my childhood war comics, that it was a Polish guy who came up with them, during the German grand tour of eastern Europe in 1939.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Yes, Ulsterman. It was a Mr. Molotov who invented them during WWII.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You have been discreetly reasonable with Vector1 on that point Ulsterman but as he thinks SF/IRA have so wonderfully improved you had better be patient! That a Yank thinks Marxist leaners somewhere else are okay is passingly humorous.
I do not support SF leftist ideology, as it is far beyond what most Americans would tolerate. Yet the fact they have worked hard to help create the peace process and keep it going is a positive. I can say the same for any and all parties today trying to keep the GFA alive.

What would you have in it's place?

`

Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I seem to remember from my childhood war comics, that it was a Polish guy who came up with them, during the German grand tour of eastern Europe in 1939.

Could be but I always thought there was a Russian connection. Maybe the Molotov cocktail was thrown by the Russians at the Germans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom