Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2020, 03:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

According to you I had never been there even once, much less several times.

Then I told you to look up my posting history regarding Ireland, and you could likely find at least one trip I took there. Then once you discovered your blunder, you moved the goal line saying I had likely not been there recently.
I had knowledge well beyond the average American well before I set foot in Ireland, so the fact I have visited there as a tourist didn't give me instant gravitas.
[However I must say that physically being in NI was an eye opener. Sure you can look at photos and satellite images to get a sense of how close the Catholics and Protestants live near each other. But it is only when you are standing there, knowing you could throw a baseball from one side t the next does it really hit you]
So you were wrong, but then just moved forward to your next claim of Plastic Paddyism.

Considering all the things you have been wrong about on this subject, it would seem as if you are projecting PP onto others. After all, aren't PP's suppose to think they know all about NI, Ireland, and the troubles, but know little to nothing.

How knows, maybe Roscoe is particularly handsome and had his Irish lass fall for his physicalty. We know it was not based on his degrading view of the Irish people (at least not on the 1st date).

I know my wife's heritage, and while she is not particularly proud of it, she certainly wouldn't appreciate my belittling of it.

So maybe some people go to dating sites to find self loathing mates that want their ethic heritage to be assailed by their partners.

`
Roscoe has shared his wife's views on some issues and people. I don't think that there's a lot of daylight between them. As to his pub buddies in Ireland, I believe that some of them are in-laws, if I remember correctly.

By the way, have you ever googled Roscoe Conkling? A 19th century American Whig turned Republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 05:37 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:

According to you I had never been there even once, much less several times.

Then I told you to look up my posting history regarding Ireland, and you could likely find at least one trip I took there. Then once you discovered your blunder, you moved the goal line saying I had likely not been there recently.
I had knowledge well beyond the average American well before I set foot in Ireland, so the fact I have visited there as a tourist didn't give me instant gravitas.
[However I must say that physically being in NI was an eye opener. Sure you can look at photos and satellite images to get a sense of how close the Catholics and Protestants live near each other. But it is only when you are standing there, knowing you could throw a baseball from one side t the next does it really hit you]
So you were wrong, but then just moved forward to your next claim of Plastic Paddyism.

Considering all the things you have been wrong about on this subject, it would seem as if you are projecting PP onto others. After all, aren't PP's suppose to think they know all about NI, Ireland, and the troubles, but know little to nothing.

How knows, maybe Roscoe is particularly handsome and had his Irish lass fall for his physicalty. We know it was not based on his degrading view of the Irish people (at least not on the 1st date).

I know my wife's heritage, and while she is not particularly proud of it, she certainly wouldn't appreciate my belittling of it.

So maybe some people go to dating sites to find self loathing mates that want their ethic heritage to be assailed by their partners.

`
Just for the record and for those of us who don't want to lose the will to live by going through your entire posting history remind us again when you last visited Ireland.
It's so long ago I'm guessing you arrived on an aeroplane with four propellors and we're allowed to smoke on board ...

Old 08-16-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Roscoe has shared his wife's views on some issues and people. I don't think that there's a lot of daylight between them. As to his pub buddies in Ireland, I believe that some of them are in-laws, if I remember correctly.
Another misinformed American.
Exactly the sort my Irish chums like to laugh at.You do provide us with hours of pleasure when you visit us.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Another misinformed American.
Exactly the sort my Irish chums like to laugh at.You do provide us with hours of pleasure when you visit us.
Good for them, Roscoe.

I've gone out of my way to treat you politely. So what was incorrect about what I posted? Obviously not my identification of your screen name. Was that what stuck in your craw? It's not like I just found it, either.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Good for them, Roscoe.

I've gone out of my way to treat you politely. So what was incorrect about what I posted? Obviously not my identification of your screen name. Was that what stuck in your craw? It's not like I just found it, either.
Stuck in my craw ?
Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle was the full name of the silent film actor and comedian Fatty Arbuckle.
I chose it for a joke because my very first post on CD 9 years ago was a thread I started entitled ' Why are Texans so enormously fat ' ?
Sorry to disappoint you old chap.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Stuck in my craw ?
Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle was the full name of the silent film actor and comedian Fatty Arbuckle.
I chose it for a joke because my very first post on CD 9 years ago was a thread I started entitled ' Why are Texans so enormously fat ' ?
Sorry to disappoint you old chap.
Google Roscoe Conkling. He was a politician. First a Whig, then a Republican.

You know I'm female, so save your old chap for a male.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:41 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:

By the way, have you ever googled Roscoe Conkling? A 19th century American Whig turned Republican?

Well that makes even less sense, as one would presume his in-law drinking buddies would know about what Sinn Fein was, is, and is not.
That is unless you think his in-laws might be plastic paddies.

I assume all forum ID's have some meaning to the poster, but no I never googled that name, nor had I heard of him.
For all I knew, that was his actual name.

BTW - Do you have any thoughts or comment on John Hume (passed away a couple weeks ago) and his contribution to peace in NI ?

`

Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Google Roscoe Conkling. He was a politician. First a Whig, then a Republican.

You know I'm female, so save your old chap for a male.
Why should I Google Roscoe Conkling ? I care not a single jot for the origin of the name.As I explained, I chose it as a joke because I knew it was the full name of Fatty Arbuckle.
You appear to want to attribute some mysterious intent on my part for its use.There really isn't.
You're beginning to sound like one of those Americans who insist on lecturing Irish people in pubs about what they should think.
And grand entertainment it is for us locals too.
Keep it up old bean.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Well that makes even less sense, as one would presume his in-law drinking buddies would know about what Sinn Fein was, is, and is not.
That is unless you think his in-laws might be plastic paddies.

I assume all forum ID's have some meaning to the poster, but no I never googled that name, nor had I heard of him.
For all I knew, that was his actual name.

BTW - Do you have any thoughts or comment on John Hume (passed away a couple weeks ago) and his contribution to peace in NI ?

`
I thought that John Hume was a huge improvement from Margaret Thatcher.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Why should I Google Roscoe Conkling ? I care not a single jot for the origin of the name.As I explained, I chose it as a joke because I knew it was the full name of Fatty Arbuckle.
You appear to want to attribute some mysterious intent on my part for its use.There really isn't.
You're beginning to sound like one of those Americans who insist on lecturing Irish people in pubs about what they should think.
And grand entertainment it is for us locals too.
Keep it up old bean.
For someone who wants us to think that he ",knows" Americans, this is just weird. Many Americans will name a child after someone who they think highly of. It's why there's so many George Washington __________, Thomas Jefferson _________ names, even to this day. I said nothing about why or how you picked the name. Ma and Pa Arbuckle apparently thought highly of Roscoe Conkling, the politician.

Old bean is a way to address a male, too. What's the matter, you don't have a snarky comeback for females?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom