Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 03:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
In the Professor's article it does mention that French,Germans and I think Italians too etc had it hard but did not go into 'chip on the shoulder' mode. Living here we are used to hearing 'poor us' it its par for the course. They are not happy unless they are complaining.

Yes, the people from Ulster had it hard too but they got on with life. They were placed as a buffer between the Indians and the Puritans and many were killed by the Indians. However, they hit back and it wasn't very nice.
Yes, during the colonial period the Scotch-Irish usually lived on the frontier. The battle where they were the main force was the Battle of Kings Mountain. They were the majority of the Over the Mountains Men, who won the battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:25 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Up to a million Irish-born people live in the UK and it's been estimated nearly six million people living there have an Irish grand-parent.
Looks like they didn't have any trouble finding a B&B when they first came .
Mind you a lot of them would have been uneducated rural muck-savages with a fondness for drink and sleeping in their muddy Wellingtons so it's entirely possible some landladies were wary of them.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:51 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, during the colonial period the Scotch-Irish usually lived on the frontier. The battle where they were the main force was the Battle of Kings Mountain. They were the majority of the Over the Mountains Men, who won the battle.

The mention of the Battle of Kings Mountain reminded that something had happened before that which got the Ulster-Scots anger.

Buford's massacre at the Waxhaw region of NC on the the 29th of May 1780 was the defining moment for many Ulster Scots settlers. The Virginia Regiment of Col Buford was was nearly obliterated. The attack was so savage that Charlton was despised as a ' butcher ' by the settlers and it led to many of them enrolling in the militia units which were soon to see action at the Battle of King's Mountain and Cowpens.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:59 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
I have heard hateful things from evangelical christians for decades.

I would send a child to a Quaker school without hesitation. Any other school tied to a religion would be vetted by me before sending a child. I don't think that I would consider an evangelical christian school because of things that I've heard said by members of that religion.
There are kooks in every facet of life, and religion is no exception.
Those fools who go to funerals of homosexuals and spew hatred are sick, yet claim to be religious. Right wrong or indifferent, when someone passes away let them rest in peace, as the only judge of what happens next is not an earthly matter.

Do you have an opinion on the Hazelwood school or efforts to integrate kids and communities in NI?

`

Old 10-22-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Up to a million Irish-born people live in the UK and it's been estimated nearly six million people living there have an Irish grand-parent.
Looks like they didn't have any trouble finding a B&B when they first came .
Mind you a lot of them would have been uneducated rural muck-savages with a fondness for drink and sleeping in their muddy Wellingtons so it's entirely possible some landladies were wary of them.
Can you imagine what would be said if you uttered the same phrase about black immigrants from Africa?
Does your Irish wife know you feel this way or say such things about the Irish?

While I am not a PC person, I can certainly see where hypocrisy should be called out, as we both know your comment about Irish would never be tolerated directed at minorities.

I wonder what Southbound will have to say about your comment?

As to the general notion that the Irish were not looked down upon by segments of British society is laughable.
Yet that very notion seems to permeate attitudes that the Irish had it great back in the day before the "Troubles" in NI.
Then as some claim, it was the IRA who stirred up everything and convinced the populace the wonderful life they were living, was a lie.

`

Old 10-22-2019, 09:17 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Speaking of schools an Irish bishop has sparked ridicule at his suggestion that yoga is not a suitable subject to be taught in parish schools.

Alphonsus Cullinan - what a name - has also cautioned against " mindfulness. "

In many respects Ireland, particularly rural Ireland,still lives in a time warp.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...ools-1.4055449

Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Can you imagine what would be said if you uttered the same phrase about black immigrants from Africa?
Does your Irish wife know you feel this way or say such things about the Irish?

While I am not a PC person, I can certainly see where hypocrisy should be called out, as we both know your comment about Irish would never be tolerated directed at minorities.

I wonder what Southbound will have to say about your comment?

As to the general notion that the Irish were not looked down upon by segments of British society is laughable.
Yet that very notion seems to permeate attitudes that the Irish had it great back in the day before the "Troubles" in NI.
Then as some claim, it was the IRA who stirred up everything and convinced the populace the wonderful life they were living, was a lie.

`

The Irish did have it great in the days before the 'troubles'. In some cases they were better of than the unionists. I have shown this in earlier posts but you must have missed them or as usual going round in circles.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
The mention of the Battle of Kings Mountain reminded that something had happened before that which got the Ulster-Scots anger.

Buford's massacre at the Waxhaw region of NC on the the 29th of May 1780 was the defining moment for many Ulster Scots settlers. The Virginia Regiment of Col Buford was was nearly obliterated. The attack was so savage that Charlton was despised as a ' butcher ' by the settlers and it led to many of them enrolling in the militia units which were soon to see action at the Battle of King's Mountain and Cowpens.
Immediately before the battle of Kings Mountain, Major Patrick Ferguson publicly called out and threatened the Scotch-Irish who were living beyond and in the mountains in North Carolina, now Tennessee. That brought the Over the Mountains men down, with the intention of teaching Ferguson a lesson.

Banastre Tarleton was responsible for the massacre.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Immediately before the battle of Kings Mountain, Major Patrick Ferguson publicly called out and threatened the Scotch-Irish who were living beyond and in the mountains in North Carolina, now Tennessee. That brought the Over the Mountains men down, with the intention of teaching Ferguson a lesson.

Banastre Tarleton was responsible for the massacre.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't Ferguson a Scot if so you would think he would have known better than to tackle the Ulster-Scots when their blood gets up.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The Irish did have it great in the days before the 'troubles'. In some cases they were better of than the unionists. I have shown this in earlier posts but you must have missed them or as usual going round in circles.
No I have read them, and know some of what you have posted was accurate. However there is a difference with being contented and being treated fairly/equally.

Sure in the beginning you can show a picture or two of Irish bringing British soldiers cookies, flowers and the like. It was understandable, as they were being killed by the Loyalists and their co-conspirators, the RUC.
But as historians note (those without a British/Unionist bias) that it was short lived once it became obvious that the British soldiers were not a neutral and unbiased armed force.

I have asked this question many times without an answer. Would the British people of mainland Britain have tolerated the actions of soldiers (like on Bloody Sunday) in the streets of London?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom