Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Today this date the 23rd of October 1641 was when the massacre of the Protestants took place.

Today is also the date when the IRA killed 9 Protestants. Just a coincidence ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 11:37 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,818,958 times
Despite the superpatriotism of Northern Ireland’s Protestants, much of the London crowd regards them as right-wing hicks.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Despite the superpatriotism of Northern Ireland’s Protestants, much of the London crowd regards them as right-wing hicks.
"Right wing hicks" by the American definition?

If so, I have not gotten that impression from anyone, as that implies unintelligent & backwards.
Granted the Unionists/Loyalists seem incredibly stubborn and stuck in the past, but I have never thought of them as dumb. To the contrary most of the Unionist people I have met or interacted with from NI never came across as "hicks", at least from an American perspective.

`

Old 10-23-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
We all know you're not that knowledgeable about life in modern Ireland, viewing it as you do through the bottom of a pint glass in the Plastic Paddy Arms stateside.
But mucksavage, along with culchie, is a common term here for rural folk of limited intelligence.
As is Plastic Paddy for know-nothing American yahoos.
By the way, exactly when was your last visit to the country you consider yourself such an expert on ?
I know I asked you the same question 3-4 years ago and we got no answer then but perhaps you might enlighten us this time.
Well I am happy to answer any question/s from just about anyone. However questions from those who refuse to answer direct/specific questions themselves are not entitled to the same consideration. How about answering a few of my questions, and then I will be happy to answer yours.

As to your slur against the Irish, the irony is you and others claim the Irish were not discriminated against by the Brits back then or now, yet between you and at least one other poster in this discussion, the sheer alacrity of desire to demean the Irish people is regularly on display.

Frankly, I am surprised you do not see it yourself when you post comments like you did. Then again people go "noseblind" to their own scent, even though others notice it.
I think the condescension and superiority some Brits display, helps to make Irish in NI want to be governed by their own, not an alien power that looks down their noses at them.

`

Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well I am happy to answer any question/s from just about anyone. However questions from those who refuse to answer direct/specific questions themselves are not entitled to the same consideration. How about answering a few of my questions, and then I will be happy to answer yours.

As to your slur against the Irish, the irony is you and others claim the Irish were not discriminated against by the Brits back then or now, yet between you and at least one other poster in this discussion, the sheer alacrity of desire to demean the Irish people is regularly on display.

Frankly, I am surprised you do not see it yourself when you post comments like you did. Then again people go "noseblind" to their own scent, even though others notice it.
I think the condescension and superiority some Brits display, helps to make Irish in NI want to be governed by their own, not an alien power that looks down their noses at them.

`
So still reluctant to tell us the last time you set foot in the country you consider yourself an expert on.
Have you actually ever been to Ireland ?

Old 10-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Ach sure we know that. They live far away from what happens here and probably couldn't care less.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Today this date the 23rd of October 1641 was when the massacre of the Protestants took place.

Today is also the date when the IRA killed 9 Protestants. Just a coincidence ?

That morning when they got out of bed,No one knew what lay ahead,Hearts were torn and families broken,So many words were left unspoken,9 lives were lost that October day,9 innocent people passed away,A normal day in a normal place,A normal routine at a normal pace,9 hearts stopped beating,9 people were still,9 chairs that families can not fill,Eyes were closed and tears fell fast,Smiles were gone that day was their last,9 houses left with empty spaces,9 still expressions on beautiful faces,9 voids, 9 smiles, were gone too soon,9 sleeping angels that afternoon,9 quietly lying where they shouldn't have died,9 families fell to their knees and cried,9 silent souls went from this life,Women, a child a husband and wife,9 lost, 9 gone, 9 went to the sky,9 families shocked and wondering why,9 birthdays come and go each year,Loved ones wishing they were near,9 heavenly beings will be loved forever,9 heros who'll be forgotten never.. thinking of the innocent victims of the shankill bomb

Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
So still reluctant to tell us the last time you set foot in the country you consider yourself an expert on.
Any time in the last decade ?

Old 10-23-2019, 02:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
That is an interesting point by Roscoe Conkling about the way Vector1 rabbits on about Ulster and has probably never set foot in the place. I have been there so many times since a wee boy a teen and adult and still going there but here we have a man who thinks he is somehow very well versed waffling about Ulster. He could have a field day on the way his own country is never mind mouthing about part part of the UK in which he DOES have a bias praising a political corner with a violent history and slagging off a political tradition that does NOT have that. His own country falls a great deal short not only today but in it's past on hypocrisy, violence and democratic gaps. As I have never counted all my trips to Ulster which do well go into the dozens it gives me a dashed better stance than his waffling.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Any time in the last decade ?
Again, answer my questions and I will be happy to answer yours. For example I asked you a question just yesterday as to whether your Irish wife knows your biased attitude about the Irish, and the derogatory terms you use to describe them?

While we are at it, try acknowledging their are British troops in NI, despite your mistaken belief there are none.

The ball is now in your court to answer or not.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom