Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Never forget the million plus Irish citizens that starved to death some 175 years ago due to British mismanagement and indifference.

And never forget the massacres of 1641,1798 and the starvation at the Siege of Derry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Northern Ireland is our twin, as a country. I have a protestant cousin who is part of the religious right in the US. I simply can't agree with you.
I am not asking you to agree with me, rather I am stating my perception, which may or may not be as accurate as yours, depending on the subject.
That said, I am not sure what being Protestant has anything to do with with right or left wing ideology in the states, much less NI.
In many ways the labels are mixed up between the two. In NI the Republicans are hardcore leftist, at least the ones in SF.
In America, most of the Republicans are moderate to right wing, but that crosses all religious lines.

I don't know if you are Protestant, Catholic or something else. But you do not come across as being biased toward one denomination or the other.
I doubt I do either, but that is probably because we are American, and do not feel divided by religious affiliation.

NI is just the opposite, where religion plays a role in many things, some natural, some not. The sectarian songs during sporting events being one prime example.
No sport in America that I am aware of has such things, probably because we do not care whether someone is XYZ religion, an agnostic or even an atheist.
All we care about is whether the players can preform, regardless of what their background is.

`

Old 06-18-2019, 05:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
You still have not confirmed to me Vector1 where you are from.

Now you are trying to be very much up there in the intellectual clouds as an asset. I do not agree with the Church of Rome at all on it's pontificating, claims and religious machinations. However I have never indicated that I would ban the ordinary members of that corner as they have rights like everyone else. In using proper intelligence standing people will know that there is a right to object to a standing or organisation whilst not denying those who are routinely following not persecuted so do not try the would-be intellectual high horse. So where are you from laddie?!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am not asking you to agree with me, rather I am stating my perception, which may or may not be as accurate as yours, depending on the subject.
That said, I am not sure what being Protestant has anything to do with with right or left wing ideology in the states, much less NI.
In many ways the labels are mixed up between the two. In NI the Republicans are hardcore leftist, at least the ones in SF.
In America, most of the Republicans are moderate to right wing, but that crosses all religious lines.

I don't know if you are Protestant, Catholic or something else. But you do not come across as being biased toward one denomination or the other.
I doubt I do either, but that is probably because we are American, and do not feel divided by religious affiliation.

NI is just the opposite, where religion plays a role in many things, some natural, some not. The sectarian songs during sporting events being one prime example.
No sport in America that I am aware of has such things, probably because we do not care whether someone is XYZ religion, an agnostic or even an atheist.
All we care about is whether the players can preform, regardless of what their background is.

`
I told you, I come from a mixed family, religiously. I was brought up to leave religion out of everything. My cousins were brought up the same, but one is on the religious right. I can't go further because I've been warned twice and had posts removed when I've tried to answer these questions of yours. Go back to the post that you didn't want to deal with. That's my response.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You still have not confirmed to me Vector1 where you are from.

Now you are trying to be very much up there in the intellectual clouds as an asset. I do not agree with the Church of Rome at all on it's pontificating, claims and religious machinations. However I have never indicated that I would ban the ordinary members of that corner as they have rights like everyone else. In using proper intelligence standing people will know that there is a right to object to a standing or organisation whilst not denying those who are routinely following not persecuted so do not try the would-be intellectual high horse. So where are you from laddie?!
I am honestly not sure of what your question means,,,,where am I from. I was born and bred in America, so no, I am not Adams cousin or anything of the sort.
In case it matters to you, I am not from a city/state full of Irish, that I could have been brainwashed or unduly influenced by their beliefs.
Unlike a pro-Irish poster Roscoe, I am not married to someone Irish either.
We have all witnessed what type of pro-Irish bias it can be to be married to an Irish woman, and the influence it can have on someone like PM Blair, right?

Heck, I am so far removed from where there is a decent number of Irish, I must travel at least two hours to even see a decent St. Patrick's Day parade.
So when I point out things like Mayor de Blasio bestowed an honor upon Gerry Adams by declaring Gerry Adams Day in NYC, rest assured it is not my hometown.

As to your evasive response (at best), you either have an anti-Catholic bias or you do not.
Or should I have asked the question, do you have a Roman Catholic bias?
Either would miss the point of whether in your heart you believe Catholics (of any stripe) to be as true a Christian as you might believe yourself to be?

`

Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I told you, I come from a mixed family, religiously. I was brought up to leave religion out of everything. My cousins were brought up the same, but one is on the religious right. I can't go further because I've been warned twice and had posts removed when I've tried to answer these questions of yours. Go back to the post that you didn't want to deal with. That's my response.
If you are talking about the Kennedy post, I have meant to go back to it, though it is not directly related to the general discussion. I certainly will look at it again.

The funny thing about Irish-American presidents is that they have gotten involved with NI in one way or another.
Thank goodness Bill Clinton got involved and assigned George Mitchell to help work out the GFA;

https://irishamerica.com/2018/04/iri...orge-mitchell/

The Brits need us Yanks to help straighten out the messes they get themsleves into.

BTW - While some of our British/Unionist friends cannot bring themselves to acknowledge even a little of the good Gerry Adams has done in recent decades, what are your thoughts on his contributions since the GFA was signed?

`

Old 06-18-2019, 11:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
If you are talking about the Kennedy post, I have meant to go back to it, though it is not directly related to the general discussion. I certainly will look at it again.

The funny thing about Irish-American presidents is that they have gotten involved with NI in one way or another.
Thank goodness Bill Clinton got involved and assigned George Mitchell to help work out the GFA;

https://irishamerica.com/2018/04/iri...orge-mitchell/

The Brits need us Yanks to help straighten out the messes they get themsleves into.

BTW - While some of our British/Unionist friends cannot bring themselves to acknowledge even a little of the good Gerry Adams has done in recent decades, what are your thoughts on his contributions since the GFA was signed?

`
I pay no attention to him. He was an IRA murderer. During the troubles he never denied it. He was too busy killing people.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
I am honestly not sure of what your question means,,,,where am I from. I was born and bred in America, so no, I am not Adams cousin or anything of the sort.
In case it matters to you, I am not from a city/state full of Irish, that I could have been brainwashed or unduly influenced by their beliefs.
Unlike a pro-Irish poster Roscoe, I am not married to someone Irish either.
We have all witnessed what type of pro-Irish bias it can be to be married to an Irish woman, and the influence it can have on someone like PM Blair, right?

Heck, I am so far removed from where there is a decent number of Irish, I must travel at least two hours to even see a decent St. Patrick's Day parade.
So when I point out things like Mayor de Blasio bestowed an honor upon Gerry Adams by declaring Gerry Adams Day in NYC, rest assured it is not my hometown.

As to your evasive response (at best), you either have an anti-Catholic bias or you do not.
Or should I have asked the question, do you have a Roman Catholic bias?
Either would miss the point of whether in your heart you believe Catholics (of any stripe) to be as true a Christian as you might believe yourself to be?

`
These people are most probably NOT Irish either.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
These people are most probably NOT Irish either.
They're Plastic Paddies.
I'm sure he'll feel right at home ...

Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I pay no attention to him. He was an IRA murderer. During the troubles he never denied it. He was too busy killing people.

So on the one hand you pay no attention to him, but on the other make claims not based on factual evidence

Regardless of your view on Adams in general, he has always denied membership in the IRA.

Lets see if any of those who readily jump on any poster who does not fully accept the Unionist/British rule in NI, will chime in to correct you on this mistake?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom