Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
The "pile of f****** huns" is a comment from one or more people on the bus, it's not in the song.
Sectarian, yes.
Having re-read the article I see what you mean. Presumably Foster was speaking about the commentary on the bus, not as part of the song.
I guess there is no way to know if the young girls heard said comments, but the effort to sing loudly was probably intended to have them hear the song or drown out their marching tune.

I just don't get how this type of behavior is occurring in this day and age in NI. I imagine such things were said in the deep segregated south toward black people in the 1950's or so, but it eventually became socially unacceptable.

Why NI is stuck in a time warp still perplexes many people.

`

Last edited by Vector1; 07-15-2019 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Hun was a derogatory British term for Germans during the wars. Also, having politics to the right of Attila The Hun........

I take all the warriors are still off observing the twelfth?
I remember my elders talking about the Huns, Jerrys, Krauts, etc. as pejorative slang just like they called the Japanese "Japs" when I was a kid.

As it applies to sectarianism in NI, the Loyalists like to burn the Pope and "Papists" in effigy, and in some cases put the term Taig on the fire with comments about "Killing all Taigs" (K.A.T).

I know some think it is harmless, but these sectarian marches and bonfires seem more of a expression of hate than a genuine celebration of anything positive.

The reference of Ballymurphy on the sign is indicative of that;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAKCVRx14l0

So undoubtedly some people in NI were having a splendid time on the Twelfth, but much of it is counter-productive.

It is hard to heal old wounds and look to a brighter future when scabs are picked at every year like clockwork in July.

`

Old 07-15-2019, 02:53 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Will that bunch with the long nonsense poster be out to do the same thing when the Ancient Order of Hibernians paradeor when Republicans are out?? Grow up Vector1

Old 07-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Will that bunch with the long nonsense poster be out to do the same thing when the Ancient Order of Hibernians paradeor when Republicans are out?? Grow up Vector1
I think exactly the same way regarding all sectarian marches, especially those going through sections of town that will continue to pick at old wounds.
Though we both know Unionists march much more often, I do not think the Nationalists should be doing it either. If the ones holding up the poster were to march themselves for Nationalist causes, then they are total hypocrites and should be called so.

This is not a unique thought process, and I apply it to the "marches" here in America designed not to celebrate, but to foment hate.
For example, if the KKK wants to have a march, rally and publicly speak, I say more power to them. However their presumed purpose is to recruit new like-minded members to their racist cause. Here in America we protect freedom of speech, and it is enshrined in our governing document.
However, I draw the line when the KKK wants to parade through predominately Jewish or black sections of town.
The reason is obvious, because they are not looking to spread their hateful ideology among the residents, they are doing it to anger them.

Now before you get upset assuming I am comparing a known hate group with the Orange Order, rest assured I am not directly comparing the two groups.
That said, we both know the bonfires (with "kill all Taigs" type signs) and the like are hateful messaging.

You are not a knuckle dragger, so don't play dumb to how many people in the Nationalist community are offended on a regular basis about the aforementioned.
Do you really think the chances for peace between the green and orange tribes are likely when sectarian marches, songs and burning bonfires occur on a yearly basis?

`

Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 PM

A progressive, united Ireland seems more likely than ever – thanks to the DUP

It’s an odd time for the DUP. Having spent the past two years backing the government on a Brexit that a majority of Northern Irish citizens voted against, it now finds support for Irish reunification at its highest ever level in Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic and, crucially, among their supposed ideological fellow-travellers in the Conservative party.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ed-ireland-dup

BTW - You will note Ulsterman that I did not write the word "reunification", nor did a Republican source. Instead it was published in The Guardian.

`

Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Another side to the 12th of July

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-nor...for-orange-lil

Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Firstly can i say Ulsterman i came across that new item on the elderly lady in the nursing home and did a wee searxch and well done that band and the home arrangng that visit to her. Excellent.

Now to you Vector1!

You do go on about sectarian marches which is all very well resting in the would-be liberal mind set clustering everyone as if are somehow automatically terrible. If and organisation os identifying itself in a lawful and decent way like the 12th July then good for them. They include everyday decent folk, ministers of religion, politicians and s on and not terror operatives. Lumping them into the same corner as the SF tribe is awful and not somehow balanced. Couple of Saturdays ago I was out on one of the four big Boyne celebration marches in Scotland (the one in my city). A great day, lovely weather and a crowd watching the colour and music. Parades hef in part of England as well as Ghana and Togo oh and Canada. Of course your own land is hardly a beacon of anywhere near balanced perfection so not strong baise there for a balanced and that would-be liberal stance!

Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
They sang "Come Out Ye Black and Tans"
It's not a sectarian song.

But the intent was bad and the Tyrone GAA club apologized.
Ok, now that I found it on Youtube (and can read the lyrics) I agree it does not come across as sectarian;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1R48hHU0Ys

Having said that, and though it's focus is on the "English", I cannot imagine the Unionists like the song. The question is why those guys would have broken out with that song to those young girls. Most are probably too young or disinterested in Irish rebel songs to even recognize it.

`

Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 AM

[quote=rjhowie;55688373]Firstly can i say Ulsterman i came across that new item on the elderly lady in the nursing home and did a wee searxch and well done that band and the home arrangng that visit to her. Excellent.

Yes, RJ it showed another side to the 12th which is not recognized by others who will always ridicule or attack it. There are thousands upon thousands who take part and thousands who come along to watch the parades. Of course you will always get a few who are not in the parade are only there to have a drink. You get this sort of thing at music festivals etc. This gives some idea of the background to the 12th of July

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...70dc9873125c59

Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 PM

The '12th' in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp9...Ww&app=desktop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom