Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2019, 10:23 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Hold on a minute Ulsterman.
Are you honestly saying that you wish the other counties of Ulster were never separated, and today still part on NI instead of the RoI?

`

No the opposite. I'm saying those three counties went their own way and we accepted that. We did not launch a murder campaign like the IRA did against the six counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
Spot on and what an excellent statement about the loss of the three and you are 100% correct regarding the comparison about the violence Ulster got but those three did not. on my next trip over I must get the train up to the Madien City and have a wee walk on the walls (!).

Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
What is it with Republicans and child abuse ?
First it was Gerry Adams shielding is paedo brother.
Now this.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/cr...shed-1-9013628

I'm amazed the IRA found time to kill all those innocent children when they were so busy being nonces.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Spot on and what an excellent statement about the loss of the three and you are 100% correct regarding the comparison about the violence Ulster got but those three did not. on my next trip over I must get the train up to the Madien City and have a wee walk on the walls (!).

Yes, that's what happened and even to this day life for Protestants is not easy in those three counties but maybe better than it was in those days so I suppose that's something.

Some pictures of folk visiting the Walls and of course Dan Winter's Cottage Have you been to the ABOD Museum in Londonderry ? I have visited the previous Museum but not this one which going by what I've read and heard is really worth a visit.

Also, should have said that the celebrations marking the Opening of the Gates is on Saturday the 10th August. There is usually a large attendance for this. The Clubs come from Scotland, England, Wales and even Canada visits sometimes. The crowds watching are enormous.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ulsterday20190703_17491151.jpg   Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-ulsterday20190703_17551814.jpg  

Last edited by Ulsterman; 07-28-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-28-2019, 08:20 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
No the opposite. I'm saying those three counties went their own way and we accepted that. We did not launch a murder campaign like the IRA did against the six counties.
I am not sure it would be accurate to say they went their own way, as if to imply those who wanted a British free Ireland, ever agreed to the 6 counties remaining British.
However I see your point in regard to violence regarding the 3 counties.

That said, it was undoubtedly a calculated move. We both know if those 3 counties remained part of the Ulster province, a United Ireland would have happened a while back. As it is today there is close to a Nationalist majority in the 6 counties, if it is not already that way.
While not all Nationalists will vote to leave (nor all Unionists vote to remain), once the younger demographic of Irish kids become of voting age, the writing is on the wall.

What I wonder is what most people who have skin in the game have to fear from a united Ireland. In years past the RoI seemed fairly rigid in their religious adherence which seemed to permeate their laws. Now that anti-abortion and anti-homo laws have seemed to change, many of the more liberal persuasion in NI have little to be concerned about.
The irony of course is that many Unionists seem more in line with more conservative social views, thus they might make inroads with those who want hetero marriage and restrictions on abortion.

Maybe I am missing something, but I wonder what is the biggest fear a Unionist and/or Protestant has to be concerned with by NI becoming part of Ireland

`

Old 07-28-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am not sure it would be accurate to say they went their own way, as if to imply those who wanted a British free Ireland, ever agreed to the 6 counties remaining British.
However I see your point in regard to violence regarding the 3 counties.

That said, it was undoubtedly a calculated move. We both know if those 3 counties remained part of the Ulster province, a United Ireland would have happened a while back. As it is today there is close to a Nationalist majority in the 6 counties, if it is not already that way.
While not all Nationalists will vote to leave (nor all Unionists vote to remain), once the younger demographic of Irish kids become of voting age, the writing is on the wall.

What I wonder is what most people who have skin in the game have to fear from a united Ireland. In years past the RoI seemed fairly rigid in their religious adherence which seemed to permeate their laws. Now that anti-abortion and anti-homo laws have seemed to change, many of the more liberal persuasion in NI have little to be concerned about.
The irony of course is that many Unionists seem more in line with more conservative social views, thus they might make inroads with those who want hetero marriage and restrictions on abortion.

Maybe I am missing something, but I wonder what is the biggest fear a Unionist and/or Protestant has to be concerned with by NI becoming part of Ireland

`

The fact remains that the unionist people never took action against the three counties. Irish republicans did not do the same.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
What is it with Republicans and child abuse ?
First it was Gerry Adams shielding is paedo brother.
Now this.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/cr...shed-1-9013628

I'm amazed the IRA found time to kill all those innocent children when they were so busy being nonces.

And here is another one.

https://itsstillonlythursday.wordpre...FY5p08zfi2exAI

Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 AM

391 posts, read 196,485 times
Quote:
Yes true, keep Ulster as it is. There was never a bombing and murder campaign carried out to force the three lost counties to remain in Ulster. That can't be said about Ireland. I worked with a fella who turned out to be in the IRA during one conversation with him he brought up the three lost counties and said that the people in those three counties voted to stay within the Irish Free State and we would have been outnumbered if the three counties had remained in Ulster. I replied, saying that people in the six counties voted to stay within the UK but maybe we should have done what the IRA have done and blow up people and places to try and make those three counties a part of the UK.

It was just a counter argument and I knew that would never happen.
There was ZERO popular vote, north or south on the issue of partition. Partition was legalized by the passing of the Government of Ireland Act 1920, and given effect May 3, 1921.

Quote:
Northern Ireland became a distinct region of the United Kingdom, by Order in Council on 3 May 1921 (Statutory Rules & Orders published by authority (SR&O) 1921, No. 533).[citation needed] Its constitutional roots remain the Act of Union, two complementary Acts, one passed by the Parliament of Great Britain, the other by the pre-1801 Parliament of Ireland.
In earlier elections, two counties, Antrim and Down, had large unionist majorities. Derry and Armagh had small unionist majorities. The other five counties including Fermanagh and Tyrone had nationalist majorities.

In the 1918 UK general election Sinn Fein won 73 of the 105 seats set aside by Westminster for the Parliament of Ireland. At that time the last thing the unionists wanted was another vote.....

Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Aside from hoping you will reply more to my previous post regarding what legitimate fear/s you might have (or the opinions of your fellow Unionists) if NI becomes part of the RoI, let me ask both you and Roscoe this simple question.

Are there no pedophiles in NI among the British/Unionist/Loyalist/Protestant community?
If there are, why only post about those from the other tribe
Assuming you two are just as disgusted by pedos as I am(and most people are), why only post about the ones in the green tribe?

`

Old 07-28-2019, 12:10 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
May I remind folk like Vector1 trying to routinely appear middle of the road they forget that the largest corner for sexual abuse is centred in one main religion and what it's priests and nuns did for damn decades and indeed centuries. As for this stuff about a united Ireland this is a corner gone about by the SF/IRA mob corner. They killed the Ulster Assembly at Stormont using a supposedly good reason which is cobblers. They want a united Ireland so did not care a proverbial tuppence on having Stormont or not. Nor sit in Westminster showing again no basic respect for a democratic system whatsoever.

Have made allowances from where Vector1 comes from country-wise but dear, oh dear! Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom