Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 02:02 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
What's the source of the image?
There was a bonfire last year, roundly condemned by all - 09 August 2018.
https://www.newry.ie/9-news/latest/6...ire-hate-crime

Here's a couple

'Sickening' mention of William Frazer on bonfire - Alpha Newspaper Group

https://www.armaghi.com/news/newry-n...p3u2uAtnpj9xnw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Yes that would be a good place to visit in Londonderry and wondering why I missed that before!Ulster was the worst of the four parts of Gt Britain re rail closures. Up until the nationalisation time there was over 800 miles of railway in the Province and rescued to just over 200. The branch between Lisburn and Antrim via Crumlin was closed back in 201 think it was but is being kept in "storage" on a future hope. Some 10,000 folk petitioned for re-opening from Portadown to Armagh but nothing. Here in Scotland we have had re-openings. What I have as a project for over the Irish Sea is the largest attempted although continuing over the Border to Dublin Connolly has given me an awful lot of scenery and put me off for months. However if I finish it that means the Enterprise Express between the 2 capitals can be run. The NV3 Trainz programme I think is the best for building so will send you my site address for a look! Oh and the Portrush station has had a 7-figure sum put into rebuilding so now I am going to have to do that all over now (!).

The museum is newly built and a lot bigger than what it once was. Re the railways here I know they once ran to Donaghadee but now that line has been closed for quite a while. Now its to Bangor and you get a bus to take you to Donaghadee, Millisle and other places. The same happened with the line to Newcastle. As far as I know the station building is still there. You are well up to speed with what is happening in the railways here. We had three main stations ( or was it four ) in Belfast at one time. Still have a few but not with the same style as the old stations.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,830 times
It will be widely condemned by the Nationalist community.
Apparently some knuckle-dragging numbskulls still lurking about in Newry.
The Orange tribe aren't the only ones with them.

what's you point in posting it?
Should we post every bonfire from your tribe that burns the Irish flag etc?

Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Many years ago Ulsterman I was staying in a camp and caravan park about a mile north of Newcastle with my then Belfast girlfriend's family. I was fascinated all those years ago as we walked into the seaside town and that old station was even more intact then! The spaces between platforms had been filled it but signs still there listing the stationmaster's office, booking office, toilets, etc. My last awareness was that it was used as a shop. It was good that the bridge was buit over the river in Belfast to conn

Meanwhie back on the main streeam the Irish Prime Minister has spoken in Ulster visit that there should be no hoo-haa about a referendum as it would cause problems and he did not want to see a repeat of mistakes after1922.ect what was formerly a terminal at York Road with the Central, etc. It was ludicrous that prior to that a train needed to be shunted form York Road(no Yorkgate) to say south of Belfast it had tio go away up north to Antrim then go down that presently suspended line through Crumlin to Lisburn junction then back up to the city!

I do have a passing niggle about the routine descriptions of the Irish Prime Minister. On BBC teletext he woud be mentioned as the Irish name then a bracket showing Prime Minister they shoud say the English word insead of repeating that - happens sometime with newscasters as well. Daft.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
It will be widely condemned by the Nationalist community.
Apparently some knuckle-dragging numbskulls still lurking about in Newry.
The Orange tribe aren't the only ones with them.

what's you point in posting it?
Should we post every bonfire from your tribe that burns the Irish flag etc?

Did you question Vector's picture of a loyalist bonfire ? You asked where the source was. I give the sources but it doesn't seem to have satisfied you so I will leave it at that.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Vector you posted up a picture of a loyalist bonfire. Thought I'd just let you know it happens on both sides. Willie Frazer had six of his family including his father who were murdered by the IRA. There is a reference to his father on the bonfire.

A republican bonfire in Newry due to be lighted tonight with signs on it mocking the late William Frazer and 18 British soldiers murdered at narrow water.
Sadly in NI, both sides seem to engage each other in very unproductive ways.

I think you know my feelings on any of these so called bonfires. They seem like nothing more than a sanctioned display of bias, bigotry and sectarian hate.
I say that as it applies to both sides engaging in it.

Maybe measures prohibiting any hateful signs, images and flags should be enacted, and have it sunset in 5 years.

`

Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Many years ago Ulsterman I was staying in a camp and caravan park about a mile north of Newcastle with my then Belfast girlfriend's family. I was fascinated all those years ago as we walked into the seaside town and that old station was even more intact then! The spaces between platforms had been filled it but signs still there listing the stationmaster's office, booking office, toilets, etc. My last awareness was that it was used as a shop. It was good that the bridge was buit over the river in Belfast to conn

Meanwhie back on the main streeam the Irish Prime Minister has spoken in Ulster visit that there should be no hoo-haa about a referendum as it would cause problems and he did not want to see a repeat of mistakes after1922.ect what was formerly a terminal at York Road with the Central, etc. It was ludicrous that prior to that a train needed to be shunted form York Road(no Yorkgate) to say south of Belfast it had tio go away up north to Antrim then go down that presently suspended line through Crumlin to Lisburn junction then back up to the city!

I do have a passing niggle about the routine descriptions of the Irish Prime Minister. On BBC teletext he woud be mentioned as the Irish name then a bracket showing Prime Minister they shoud say the English word insead of repeating that - happens sometime with newscasters as well. Daft.

Yes, its the same auld same auld when it comes down to it. Do they describe the Prime Ministers of other countries in their own tongue ? I have wondered about that. Yes the newscasters do the same and on teletext too it usually has the 'teashop' and then in brackets (Irish Prime Minister)

Think the railway stations in Belfast were the same as other stations were on the mainland. A big clock and various machines and shops. The BCDR had the trams running to right inside the station. There was a bit of class with those stations not like today.

Cooke Memorial Church has a model railway layout . The son-in-law use to go to it but not so much now and there is a school which has the same underneath it.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sadly in NI, both sides seem to engage each other in very unproductive ways.

I think you know my feelings on any of these so called bonfires. They seem like nothing more than a sanctioned display of bias, bigotry and sectarian hate.
I say that as it applies to both sides engaging in it.

Maybe measures prohibiting any hateful signs, images and flags should be enacted, and have it sunset in 5 years.

`

As I have said that in the 1950s things were not so bad Catholic and Protestant got along together. In some areas kids from each side helped collect wood for their respective bonfires. Eleventh of July and 15th of August. But along came the 1960s and things started to change.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM

854 posts, read 520,960 times
I fully support reunification. United Ireland

Old 08-09-2019, 01:35 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
As I have said that in the 1950s things were not so bad Catholic and Protestant got along together. In some areas kids from each side helped collect wood for their respective bonfires. Eleventh of July and 15th of August. But along came the 1960s and things started to change.
Yeah those Catholics started getting uppity, wanting things above their station like: one man one vote, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom