Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 11:34 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

It is not so much I am ignoring your points, but for the purposes of this threads topic, there must be a correlation to, or comparative analogy of NI/Ireland/UK vs. the USA.
We do not have the religious/sectarian wars that go on in NI, and whatever ills we do have are not openly displayed and reveled in, like it seems to be in segments of the NI culture.
The same sadly can be said about parts of the UK such as Glasgow where a confluence of sport and religious bigotry (from both sides) have infiltrated everyday life over time.

You can be dismissive of it all you want, but when parents of children (on both sides) seem to be proud of their kids engaging in sectarianism under the guise of entertainment, any sane rational person should be concerned.

`

America is a helluva lot bigger than the UK. It can provide space for all different peoples to live in. The Amish people have their place and ain't there a Little Italy, Chinatown etc etc. In Glasgow they are living cheek by jowl with each other. Its the same in Belfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Catholics in Belfast were few but gradually they came into Belfast. Four Roman Catholics churches were built and Protestants contributed to the building of them. The first one was in Chapel Lane..St Marys. Then St Patricks in Donegall St followed by St Malachy's and St Matthews.

Later on Catholic men met outside St Malachys and set out on a rampage though the city and onto the Shankill Road where they attacked a Protestant children's school. Some shots were fired into the school. When Protestants working in a nearby foundry heard this they came out to confront the Catholic men and drove them back from the school.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Well done that small Protestant corner in the Maiden City. Must visit on my next trip to Ulsterand will visit the city by train me being a rail fan and railway simulator fan!

ps. Ulsterman. I spent ages building the NIR on my pc and a website!

Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Well done that small Protestant corner in the Maiden City. Must visit on my next trip to Ulsterand will visit the city by train me being a rail fan and railway simulator fan!

ps. Ulsterman. I spent ages building the NIR on my pc and a website!

Had a mate many years ago when we were younger. He was mad about trains and going out and ' doing a big log ' something like that. He use to go to a house on the Lisburn Rd too where a teacher from Methodist College lived. He was also a man for the trains and had a whole lay out in his house. Called the mate Joe Magill and he went to work in England in the railway yards there. Have never seen him since.

Maybe you'll get a chance to visit the Siege Museum near the ABOD Memorial Hall.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Yes that would be a good place to visit in Londonderry and wondering why I missed that before!Ulster was the worst of the four parts of Gt Britain re rail closures. Up until the nationalisation time there was over 800 miles of railway in the Province and rescued to just over 200. The branch between Lisburn and Antrim via Crumlin was closed back in 201 think it was but is being kept in "storage" on a future hope. Some 10,000 folk petitioned for re-opening from Portadown to Armagh but nothing. Here in Scotland we have had re-openings. What I have as a project for over the Irish Sea is the largest attempted although continuing over the Border to Dublin Connolly has given me an awful lot of scenery and put me off for months. However if I finish it that means the Enterprise Express between the 2 capitals can be run. The NV3 Trainz programme I think is the best for building so will send you my site address for a look! Oh and the Portrush station has had a 7-figure sum put into rebuilding so now I am going to have to do that all over now (!).

Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
I was watching a program late last night that seemed to be produced by BBC World, but I am not certain. It was interviewing regular folks in NI, and other parts of the UK.
The apathy of those mainland Brits toward NI was palpable with few having much interest in NI's future. One woman was brutally honest about it not effecting her, so she didn't care.

I could not find it on the internet, so I am not sure if it is too new, but I did find this article about Unionists possibly supporting a united Ireland based on Brexit, and staying within the EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49185561

What strikes me strange is that Unionists seem more interested in remaining part of the UK in general, but the program seemed to give the impression of them being more ambivalent. So either the program was framed a certain way, or attitudes are changing.

`

Old 08-08-2019, 07:53 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
A very interesting view of the present situation and how NI is smack dab in the middle of it;
A clever melding of American evangelicalism and European politics.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
No society is perfect, but to claim Americans have a faulty republic is absurd. We have become the most prosperous, powerful, free, and generous society human history has ever seen. We did that in just a few hundred years, not a few millennia.

As I said we agree on how absurd it is for someone to have a fit over a picture. Most governmental offices over here will have a picture of the current president somewhere in the building. So whether you love, like, dislike or abhor the current president, you don't get to have a fit about it and demand it be taken down.

[Then again as I type this, I am reminded of a recent story where a black woman who worked in a justice building objected to an American flag that had a few altered stripes to indicate support of police which is called "Blue Lives Matter".
She did not object based on it being disrespectful to alter a flag, rather she felt it was disrespectful toward the "Black Lives Matter" group.
While the story has nuisances, that was the crux of it. The idiots at city hall agreed to a settlement of $100,000 and she had to leave her job. ]

I am sure some from the Irish Catholic community despise the monarchs, as they likely see them as the root of all the evil that befell Ireland back in the day.
That said, if you agree to take a job at a location where it is the norm to have a picture of XYZ (i.e. the Paisley/McGuinness example I used), they need to suck it up.

`
This isn't true (particularly the 'free' bit), this is just something your government has brainwashed into you since the day you were born, the US is actually at around 17th on the list.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/stud...dom-index-2018

Old 08-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Vector you posted up a picture of a loyalist bonfire. Thought I'd just let you know it happens on both sides. Willie Frazer had six of his family including his father who were murdered by the IRA. There is a reference to his father on the bonfire.

A republican bonfire in Newry due to be lighted tonight with signs on it mocking the late William Frazer and 18 British soldiers murdered at narrow water.
Attached Thumbnails
Northern Ireland reunification with Republic of Ireland-republican-bonfire-mocking-death-willie-frazer  

Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,830 times
What's the source of the image?
There was a bonfire last year, roundly condemned by all - 09 August 2018.
https://www.newry.ie/9-news/latest/6...ire-hate-crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom