Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 07:34 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times

Advertisements

Nah would not want to get too involved in a comparison with the UK and the dreadful US of A. What with over 40 million unemployed, over 2 million in jail, people on death row for years, long corruptions historical religious violence and spending half the world's military bill?? Ludicrous. For whatever faults we have that is worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:57 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Have you been nipping at the sauce a bit too much, as your comments in several posts recently have been unintelligible. I thought you Scotts could hold your liquor.
You are a Scot from Glasgow, right?

If you want to make some comparisons between the Brits and us Yanks feel free, but I will not be drawn into a purposeful deflection, without you ever admitting any wrong doing on the part of Britain in Ireland.
I also will note how you failed to answer the question as to whether there has been any wrong doing on the part of the OO.
Or do you (as I suspect) just view them as a totally benign group with no negative aspects?

Surely if NI is to be united with Ireland, OO lodges will survive. But will need to modify their views to come into the modern world, not hearken back to the days of yesteryear.

`

Good idea and the same apply to the Irish nationalists, Sinn Fein etc. Forget about the Easter Rising the Fenians and those things of yesteryear.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:14 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Good idea and the same apply to the Irish nationalists, Sinn Fein etc. Forget about the Easter Rising the Fenians and those things of yesteryear.
Of that, I think we agree. There is nothing wrong with having a day or two to celebrate such things on either side, but it cannot be a perpetual mindset of us vs. them.

I suspect as others do, that if NI becomes part of Ireland, most of the reason for Irish paramilitaries would become a thing of the past. I am not talking about the thugs that are involved in crime under the cloak of Nationalism/Republicanism, rather the ones that genuinely want a united Ireland.

Then the question would be how welcome would the Unionists/Loyalists feel, and would they turn to violence, or try to forge ahead in a new chapter.

When the top guy of the OO said he would accept a united Ireland if that was the will of the majority, I though it bold and brave.
Hopefully he is not taking too much slack for it, and he certainly has a better grasp than Foster has by saying she would leave.
I suspect most Brits born and bred in NI will stay. Is that you take as well?

`

Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 PM

Well Ulster being dragged to the south would mean that the Dublin government would need to get a bigger handout from the EU. And can Protestants be assured that their traditions down there will not be shoved aside?

Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Well Ulster being dragged to the south would mean that the Dublin government would need to get a bigger handout from the EU. And can Protestants be assured that their traditions down there will not be shoved aside?
I would think that any chance for a lasting peace within a united Ireland would need to be respectful of reasonable traditions of all sides within NI.
When it comes to the Protestant religion, I'd think that would be off limits, as people should be able to worship in any fashion their faith called for.
I cannot even imagine the Dublin government wanting to impede their citizens right to pray and worship in any manner they so choose.

`

Old 07-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I think if that were to happen there could be a 'honeymoon period' but then later when the eyes of the world are elsewhere it would be 'back to porridge'. As one man said the Irish are a cunning,clever,crafty people

Old 07-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Yes they are as you passingly describe but there again I would still stand by my previous view aht as an independent country from 1922 it was incapable hence desperate to get into the EU for handouts. Certainly in practical terms they did get to move on as they could not do it themselves but for all the progress there are still people down there who would make things awkward for Ulster people and religious matters. Whether a united Ireland would get all the more money we just do not know but meanwhile keep Ulster as it is and if the Shinners don't like it tell them to shove off south and give Ulster peace!

As an earlier historical Ulster Unionist once shouted - "Not an inch."

Old 07-27-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I think if that were to happen there could be a 'honeymoon period' but then later when the eyes of the world are elsewhere it would be 'back to porridge'. As one man said the Irish are a cunning,clever,crafty people
Undoubtedly there can be good and bad attributes associated with any group of people, whether it be ethnic, racial, religious, etc.
The trouble is taking the worst of the worst and then using that generalization to be prejudiced against all or most of them.
That might very well be one of the worst aspects NI has to overcome, with the us vs. them mentality.

I guess my first question is do you differentiate between the Irish people in NI, and those in the Republic?

My second question (which asks for speculation on your part) would be after the honeymoon period you mentioned, what do you fear as a person would occur?

`

Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Yes they are as you passingly describe but there again I would still stand by my previous view aht as an independent country from 1922 it was incapable hence desperate to get into the EU for handouts. Certainly in practical terms they did get to move on as they could not do it themselves but for all the progress there are still people down there who would make things awkward for Ulster people and religious matters. Whether a united Ireland would get all the more money we just do not know but meanwhile keep Ulster as it is and if the Shinners don't like it tell them to shove off south and give Ulster peace!

As an earlier historical Ulster Unionist once shouted - "Not an inch."

Yes true, keep Ulster as it is. There was never a bombing and murder campaign carried out to force the three lost counties to remain in Ulster. That can't be said about Ireland. I worked with a fella who turned out to be in the IRA during one conversation with him he brought up the three lost counties and said that the people in those three counties voted to stay within the Irish Free State and we would have been outnumbered if the three counties had remained in Ulster. I replied, saying that people in the six counties voted to stay within the UK but maybe we should have done what the IRA have done and blow up people and places to try and make those three counties a part of the UK.

It was just a counter argument and I knew that would never happen.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Yes true, keep Ulster as it is. There was never a bombing and murder campaign carried out to force the three lost counties to remain in Ulster. That can't be said about Ireland. I worked with a fella who turned out to be in the IRA during one conversation with him he brought up the three lost counties and said that the people in those three counties voted to stay within the Irish Free State and we would have been outnumbered if the three counties had remained in Ulster. I replied, saying that people in the six counties voted to stay within the UK but maybe we should have done what the IRA have done and blow up people and places to try and make those three counties a part of the UK.

It was just a counter argument and I knew that would never happen.
Hold on a minute Ulsterman.
Are you honestly saying that you wish the other counties of Ulster were never separated, and today still part on NI instead of the RoI?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom