Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Wow. Ten billion pounds spent on six tiny counties, annually. No wonder the diehard unionists cling so hard.

A United Ireland is a realistic possibility now so we need to prepare for it
Ireland still owes more than €40Billion it borrowed during its bailout.
Whilst some of the £10billion NI gets from GB every year could be reduced through unification Ireland has no hope of being able to match that level of spending.
It also has poor infrastructure,no NHS free healthcare and a political system every bit as corrupt and inefficient as that in the North.
There's more chance of Arlene Foster skiing naked down Mount Everest with a rose between her teeth than there is of a united Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 08:45 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Ireland still owes more than €40Billion it borrowed during its bailout.
Whilst some of the £10billion NI gets from GB every year could be reduced through unification Ireland has no hope of being able to match that level of spending.
It also has poor infrastructure,no NHS free healthcare and a political system every bit as corrupt and inefficient as that in the North.
There's more chance of Arlene Foster skiing naked down Mount Everest with a rose between her teeth than there is of a united Ireland.
You say that now, but I'll check back in a couple of years after a hard border has been installed and the Catholics have become the majority in the six counties.

Your remarks about infrastructure and the health care system in Ireland have me baffled. (Politics is another question.)

During the years I lived in the Republic, not so long ago, the infrastructure was fine as we explored the length and breadth of the nation, and the public health service seemed miraculous coming from the land of no national health care (USA). I kept trying to find the billing office and give medical providers money after my children's routine medical appointments. Eventually I stopped trying, because I finally understood that payment wasn't needed or expected.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 AM

170 posts, read 72,205 times
Quote:
You say that now, but I'll check back in a couple of years after a hard border has been installed and the Catholics have become the majority in the six counties.
That'll take more than a couple of years. Maybe check back in a generation? No doubt this thread will still be going then, with all the same characters arguing back and forth

Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyIndecisive View Post
That'll take more than a couple of years. Maybe check back in a generation? No doubt this thread will still be going then, with all the same characters arguing back and forth
Likely in 2021, according to the BBC. A couple of years. Enjoy the twilight of Empire over this next little while.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43823506

Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Likely in 2021, according to the BBC. A couple of years. Enjoy the twilight of Empire over this next little while.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43823506
If the BBC's track record on predictions are anything to go by, I'd give it until at least 3021.

The Empire is long gone my friend. It will remain as such unless our supply lines of tea are threatened.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:53 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
I'd like to think most of us are discussing this subject rather than arguing back and forth. There are a couple with intractable views, but for the most part I think we learn from each other, and find our positions are not as soundly founded as we once might have believed. Heck even historical facts are mixed up from time to time, and much of that seems to be based on biased eduation or wanting to portray one side as rightious and to demonize the other side.
Yet discussing it with mutual respect for the fact people are at least willing to listen to the others perspectives is a very positive step.
To think the example that was set would be Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness working together in government and becoming friends, was truly amazing.

Quote:
If the BBC's track record on predictions are anything to go by, I'd give it until at least 3021.

The Empire is long gone my friend. It will remain as such unless our supply lines of tea are threatened.
Overall NI and it's future are more in flux, both in good and bad ways. Whether it be Brexit, devolved Stormont being shuddered and mired over petty issues, demographic shifts, less theocratic governmental policies, etc.
The GFA allows for votes to remain or leave, and there is no way it will take 1000 years from now. If that were to be the case, Ireland would never be reunited.

While there likely will be a vote in the next few years, that is no to say the majority (even if they are Catholic) will vote to leave the UK and join the RoI. If the votes are to stay, the Republicans will need to find a way to accept it, and if the vote is to be reunited, the Loyalists will need to do the same.

`

Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM

I disagree with the idea that a referendum on this issue is in any way likely in the next few years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening until if or when the Republicans feel they have a very clear majority. On both sides of the border.

It would be a once in a generation kind of vote, I don't think they'd waste that kind of chance on a vote that could easily go against them. If they were to win narrowly that could be storing up problems for the future, as Brexit did, albeit of a different nature.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I disagree with the idea that a referendum on this issue is in any way likely in the next few years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening until if or when the Republicans feel they have a very clear majority. On both sides of the border.

It would be a once in a generation kind of vote, I don't think they'd waste that kind of chance on a vote that could easily go against them. If they were to win narrowly that could be storing up problems for the future, as Brexit did, albeit of a different nature.
I wouldn't disagree with you, which does call into question why Sinn Fein has been pushing for a vote. While we might both be wrong, it would seem as if a vote to reunify Ireland today would not pass, even considering those who want to remain part of the EU.

SF must have an end game in mind with a unified Ireland via the GFA, otherwise they never would have signed on, right

`

Old 02-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I wouldn't disagree with you, which does call into question why Sinn Fein has been pushing for a vote. While we might both be wrong, it would seem as if a vote to reunify Ireland today would not pass, even considering those who want to remain part of the EU.

SF must have an end game in mind with a unified Ireland via the GFA, otherwise they never would have signed on, right

`
The logical endgame would eventually be a vote I'd imagine. Perhaps the pressure they keep giving is to keep their base happy and keep the unionists DUP under pressure. Their occasional grandstanding on the matter must surely bluff at this stage. Then again, there's a lot of older members in the movement who would perhaps be pushing simply because they want to see it happen within their lifetime.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Your remarks about infrastructure and the health care system in Ireland have me baffled. (Politics is another question.)

During the years I lived in the Republic, not so long ago, the infrastructure was fine as we explored the length and breadth of the nation, and the public health service seemed miraculous coming from the land of no national health care (USA). I kept trying to find the billing office and give medical providers money after my children's routine medical appointments. Eventually I stopped trying, because I finally understood that payment wasn't needed or expected.
Roscoe has a unique take on things, so at times you must take what he says with a grain of salt. Heck he does not like Stewart Lee, so that tells some of us all we need to know about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkEEqXT3uQ

Also, when he starts in on calling you a plastic paddy, just take it as a compliment, as he thinks anyone who has an opinion on Ireland and England/Britain's history, without being from there, fits that phrase. Yet he himself is not from the RoI or NI, but he considers himself more of an expert because he owns land in the RoI, and most importantly, has an Irish wife.
With those type of credentials, who would ever have the nerve to question him.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom