Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times

Advertisements

This day Feb,Feb 4 1942

Speaking at a meeting of the Derry Catholic Registration Association,its President, Rev John O'Doherty,CC, St Eugene's Cathedral,said: ''Last week the press reported a timely and able statement by the leader of the nation Eamon de Valera in which he referred to the Nationalist majority in Derry City. Now it depends on you to see this majority is maintained and increasing'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
This day Feb,Feb 4 1942

Speaking at a meeting of the Derry Catholic Registration Association,its President, Rev John O'Doherty,CC, St Eugene's Cathedral,said: ''Last week the press reported a timely and able statement by the leader of the nation Eamon de Valera in which he referred to the Nationalist majority in Derry City. Now it depends on you to see this majority is maintained and increasing'.
While politically motivated, how is this objectionable?

Is a Catholic clergy man not entitled to be in favour of irish reunification?

The way Europe is going now, it would be wise for leaders of any kind to encourage large families, we have Chronically low demographic replacement

Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
While politically motivated, how is this objectionable?

Is a Catholic clergy man not entitled to be in favour of irish reunification?

The way Europe is going now, it would be wise for leaders of any kind to encourage large families, we have Chronically low demographic replacement

Don't know what you're on about. I posted it up without any comment. Certainly he's entitled to do whatever he likes. Maybe you should get in touch with the Irish News who published it.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 AM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Yes as Archbishop King said back in the 1700's 'they are a breeding people '. Mr Anderson (mayor) pointed out when interviewed by a reporter back in the 1960s that the council had built many houses for the Catholic population but it was like trying to fill a bucket with water but the bucket had a hole in it. He showed the interviewer a newspaper which had an article about a family of 21 in the Creggan.

Bear in mind the RC church did not allow contraception.
Quote:
The unionist people should get busy "breeding" if it pays such a political dividend
The irony of this aspect of NI's future, is that much of the Christian world is not "breeding" as much as other religious or ethnic groups.
Thus what might befall NI in the near future if Catholics vote as a bloc for a united Ireland, much of Europe is potentially at risk of their counties changing.
Hence the Brexit movement, at least in part by the UK.
Heck even over here in America our Speaker of the House said Americans need to have more children. Now he only approached it from an economic standpoint, not a cultural or religious one. Yet the writing is on the wall for most of the western world.

I suspect most people in this day and age do not envision little Tommy or Mary as another vote for a cause, be it a strongly held one or not.
But collectively in republics or democracies, a society can change based strictly on numbers, whether it be due to birthrates, immigration, or a combination thereof.

`

Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Don't know what you're on about. I posted it up without any comment. Certainly he's entitled to do whatever he likes. Maybe you should get in touch with the Irish News who published it.
Let's not be coy, you don't post a quote from a newspaper for nothing or without having a view on it

If I put up historical pieces quoting people who charecterised others as having a tendency to breed like rabbits or other deliberately offensive comments, I'd stand over them

Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Let's not be coy, you don't post a quote from a newspaper for nothing or without having a view on it

If I put up historical pieces quoting people who charecterised others as having a tendency to breed like rabbits or other deliberately offensive comments, I'd stand over them

Did I say 'breed like rabbits'. Can't remember saying that. The article was from an Irish nationalist newspaper. Obviously I'm going to give a unionist /Protestant viewpoint just like others on here (including yourself) are giving an opposite opinion.

Its easy to go though the posts on here and see where different people stand. You like Vector use the word 'reunification' which gives a good idea where you are coming from. Nothing wrong with that as we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Did I say 'breed like rabbits'. Can't remember saying that. The article was from an Irish nationalist newspaper. Obviously I'm going to give a unionist /Protestant viewpoint just like others on here (including yourself) are giving an opposite opinion.

Its easy to go though the posts on here and see where different people stand. You like Vector use the word 'reunification' which gives a good idea where you are coming from. Nothing wrong with that as we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Agreed and my opinion is that the individual (Mr Anderson) who thinly disguised that Catholics bred like rabbits was deliberately being offensive.

If I stuck up a historic quote about protestants supposedly being careful with money, I would assume others presumed I sympathised or somewhat agreed with those views

I don't seek to censor any views but people should fully endorse what quotes they select. If they use quotes, I have to assume they believe those quotes to be accurate

Old 02-05-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Agreed and my opinion is that the individual (Mr Anderson) who thinly disguised that Catholics bred like rabbits was deliberately being offensive.

If I stuck up a historic quote about protestants supposedly being careful with money, I would assume others presumed I sympathised or somewhat agreed with those views

I don't seek to censor any views but people should fully endorse what quotes they select. If they use quotes, I have to assume they believe those quotes to be accurate

Mr Anderson was the mayor and he was being interviewed as to the housing situation in Londonderry. I don't think he said anything wrong. He was stating the facts in regard to the building of houses. I think it would be fairly obvious that large numbers of people needing to be housed would place a burden on the provision of houses. However, the building of houses in NI was better than that in the ROI and indeed better than in some parts of England.

I posted some photos earlier which showed the Catholic Creggan area and houses built in the 1950s by a Unionist Government and the Housing Trust. I also showed the hovels that Sandy Row Protestants were living in. It was only in the 1970s that these houses in Sandy Row were demolished. Of course similar houses existed in Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow and Dublin.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:

Regarding the first paragraph, I wonder if you ever see where I try to empathize with the Unionist point of view, or that gets overlooked just because I am perceptually more in line with the Nationalist view?
Second, I have balked when you say things like I am a nationalist supporter/sympathizer, as if to imply I cannot be open-minded on the subject.
Obviously I have never lived in NI, must less in any part of the UK/Ireland, thus I do not have a horse in the race. Yet over many years of studying the history of England/Ireland/Britain I have formed views based on it.

As to your 2nd paragraph, your perspective is that the term reunification implies something that it does not, at least in my case.
Your argument was that since the island of Ireland was never wholly under Irish rule, reunification is an incorrect term, implying something false, correct?
But as I have endeavored to show you, there were times in Irish history when they were under all Irish rule, where it be with one ruler (i.e. Boru or O'Connor) or other times when many Irish kings held power over their own sections of Ireland without foreign powers controlling them.
I am of course hoping for my pint of Half & Half (in lieu of you public admission, thereby giving an inch)
We just need to find a agreed place to meet when I get over there.

I do like your last sentence, as I believe most of us involved in this discussion are happy to engage and exchange ideas with each other, regardless of whether we have similar perspectives or not.

Quote:

I will say that while Ulsterman obviously comes from a Unionist (or dare I even say, possibly a Loyalist perspective), he does on occasion quote things without an agenda. A recent example was quoting Gerry Adams (which I assume he dislikes immensely) just to show how a leading Republican has moderated his tone. To me that is progress on some level.

As to the whole breeding issue, I imagine you will be replying to my post above this regarding low western birth rates in general, much less how the numbers in NI will favor the Irish and/or Catholics in the long run.

`

Old 02-05-2019, 05:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
You are quite right Ulsterman in again reminding that there were massive building of Council Housing in traditional RC areas where the IRA planned their violence for "unity." I can also recall on visits decades ago and what you said about Shankhill as an example was spot on.I suspect that the more decent people in such areas include more reasonable ones who would say support the SDLP. Not my corner but they at least were not hand in glove with the terrorist mindset. Those folk who are so into a unity with the South should try and massage their grey cells and take note of what I said a while back about Eire scrubbing claims to Ulster and also that the Republic is not out there like the SF lot campaigning for a union. I think Ireland has had a generally reasonable stance and they also are more sharp at realising the sheer financial cost of such a direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom