Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up as news like this travels slowy across the pond unless there are major casulaities. Sounds like it could have been much worse, and one wonders what the bombers planned to accomplish with this reckless act.

In regard to Irish Bob, we all pretty much keep name calling and criticism of each other to a minimum. This is more of a discussion group exchanging views and ideas rather than arguing and making insults.Considering the nature of the subject, I think we are doing well.

As to the bombing, I have said on several occasions the senseless violence by dissident groups at this point does not have the support of the people.
Even those who want a united Ireland are probably scratching their heads wondering what this bomb was suppose to accomplish.
Ulsterman said youngsters were passing by and luckily were not killed or maimed. They could have been tourists, Irish folks that want a united Ireland, or just other innocent people, not the "enemy".
It seems like a senseless act in an effort to prove something, but what exactly, other than endangering innocent people having a night out on the town?

`

Part of the reason for posting about the bomb on Saturday 19th January 2019 is because from time to time people will say '' forget about the past get on with life '' but this shows there are those who are still hellbent on 'keeping the pot boiling'. Its easy pontificating and saying what or what should not be done but when one is at the sharp end its a different story. Having said that it's not as bad as it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
You make me sigh irish_bob........

Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You make me sigh irish_bob........
Have another tunnocks

Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Have another tunnocks
Now now Bob, don't be bitchy........

Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Now now Bob, don't be bitchy........
I love tunnicks

Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Part of the reason for posting about the bomb on Saturday 19th January 2019 is because from time to time people will say '' forget about the past get on with life '' but this shows there are those who are still hellbent on 'keeping the pot boiling'. Its easy pontificating and saying what or what should not be done but when one is at the sharp end its a different story. Having said that it's not as bad as it once was.
Well I am glad you ended your post with that comment, so I wouldn't have anything to disagree or quibble about with you.

Needless to say there will come a day in NI that moving on and forgiving the past (if not forgetting) will be key in a peaceful future. Yet as we can see by this bombing, their are still those who have not excepted the Democratic process as a means of peaceful existence.
As you can see by my posts since you made us aware of it, the intended reason is not clear other than general senseless violence. Whomever planted it obviously thought it served some purpose, but none that I can understand.
Had the young people been harmed or killed, was that part of the plan. If so to what end.
If not, and it was only to damage a court house or other symbol of British authority, then why not inform the police like the old PIRA use to.
If so, to what end would killing innocent civilians?

I could be wrong, but I suspect this incident would have less than a small handful of the general public in support of it. Some grand notion of striking a blow against imperial Britain or such might be going through their warped minds. But how would they have felt if it was one of their friends or relatives who was blown to bits while taking a stroll.

BTW - I am still waiting to see if I am going to get an acknowledgment of my reply to you in post #2971 ?

`

Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Of course I have been incorrect and have admitted to such on occasion.
I would not characterize you having done something wrong. Rather I'd say your failure to acknowledge when you are wrong and challenged/proved wrong, is what is vexing.
Not because anyone is keeping a score (I only do that with Roscoe).

As to your faux pas, you have claimed on multiple occasions that Ireland was never unified, thus the term reunification or reunified are not accurate. Recently you went so far as to claim I was using that terminology because it is a Republican term or talking point.
I am a Republican, but not the Irish kind.
Then I pointed out that the term and it's reflective desire has been around a lot longer than the modern Republican/Nationalist movement.
That is when you reasserted the incorrect claim that Ireland was never one island under control of one king or chieftain.
Also that was not the first time you made such a claim, but it was either not directed toward me, or I was not inclined to challenge your assertion at the time.

So if you know of Boru, and that Ireland was unified under Irish control at least during one point in her history, then lets say you owe me a beer next time I get over your way.
Agreed?

`

Its been acknowledged by many writers that Ireland was never one unit. As I have already said the nearest they got was with Brian Boru but his death in battle meant he never ruled over one united country. On the other hand England did rule over the island of Ireland. Even the police (unlike Britain) were an all Ireland police service. This applied to other institutions like the church and the law.

I think we have come to a place where we will have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 AM

And so it goes on. Monday 21st January Londonderry

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...Zl-CTE7TzCl3ik

Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
And so it goes on. Monday 21st January Londonderry

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...Zl-CTE7TzCl3ik
Thanks for including a link, as it makes it easier to find a particular article written in the same manner you read.

That said, I read it twice, and do not see where there was a bomb found, nor did it sound like a threat was called in.
Am I missing something on this incident other than unsubstantiated fear of another bomb because it was an abandon vehicle?

As to the previous post, I will be responding and am disappointed no first round of suds will be offered by you.
But before I get back to Boru, maybe you should look up Rory O'Connor as well.
Maybe then you might concede and be willing to buy the first pint.
I prefer my Guinness mixed with Harp.

`

Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for including a link, as it makes it easier to find a particular article written in the same manner you read.

That said, I read it twice, and do not see where there was a bomb found, nor did it sound like a threat was called in.
Am I missing something on this incident other than unsubstantiated fear of another bomb because it was an abandon vehicle?

As to the previous post, I will be responding and am disappointed no first round of suds will be offered by you.
But before I get back to Boru, maybe you should look up Rory O'Connor as well.
Maybe then you might concede and be willing to buy the first pint.
I prefer my Guinness mixed with Harp.

`

Someone parked the car and then ran off. Whether it was a hoax or not it stilled caused disruption and resulted in folk having to leave their homes. I believe it said some of them were in their seventies.

As far as a beer is concerned I drink my beer in unionist areas. I think you would be more at home in a nationalist area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom