Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Maybe they might accept living under Ulster rule ? As mentioned before in that situation we would not be under Irish rule and the Irish in Ulster would not be under British rule.

I still believe there are many Catholics who prefer British rule but are frightened by the shinner gunmen. In the past some Catholic churches supported the British link and Maynooth Catholic College got 2,000 signatures wishing to keep the link. The fear would mostly be in working-class areas where any who did not support the shinners would be seen as traitors.

Aye, Dennis was the main man in the group but the man behind the scene Silverstein I think wrote most of the songs. Sylvia's Mother was supposedly based on what happened to him.

I think you would get more of a welcome in nationalist areas and that guy who sang the anti-British song would be there to entertain you in the Rock Bar.
I cannot tell if you are being tongue in cheek as you Brits say, or throwing a barb my way with that comment about the anti-Brit song sung by the guy you posted a while back.
I remember saying those type of songs were not advisable to such an audience, as most of the kids were pretty young.
So we agreed on that, yet it seems as if your assuming I would enjoy it.

IF we do meet for pint or three, I'd hope we could have a friendly civilized talk no matter what part of town the pub was in.
Personally I like to delve into the culture of places I visit, not just hit the tourist traps and NI is no different. Considering my keen interest in the history and political dynamics, I like to see first hand how the people live, work and play.
I certainly would not spout off with anything that should cause trouble in either part of town, and I'd assume you would be the same if we were in a Nationalist bar.

That reminds me of a funny scene in the TV show Frasier. I am not sure you'll had it on over there, but it might be in re-runs. Frasier was the psychiatrist in Cheers (you'll must have seen that show) and he got his own show. Anyway in the episode "Where Every Bloke Knows Your Name", he starts going to a British pub in Seattle and starts to become one of the guys. However in a dart throwing competition, he starts making jokes about Brits, the queen, etc.
Some of the patrons are not amused.

As to the Nationalists living under Ulster rule, how realistic do you think that could be?
Regarding the Irish that like living under British rule, I was under the impression is was based more on economics rather than preferring the government. I know a shopkeeper here in the states who said her family essentially felt that way, even though they would prefer a united Ireland in principle, but would keep NI in the UK for practical monetary reasons.
Granted that is anecdotal and may not reflect the majority thinking, but there are at least some who feel that way.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I cannot tell if you are being tongue in cheek as you Brits say, or throwing a barb my way with that comment about the anti-Brit song sung by the guy you posted a while back.
I remember saying those type of songs were not advisable to such an audience, as most of the kids were pretty young.
So we agreed on that, yet it seems as if your assuming I would enjoy it.

IF we do meet for pint or three, I'd hope we could have a friendly civilized talk no matter what part of town the pub was in.
Personally I like to delve into the culture of places I visit, not just hit the tourist traps and NI is no different. Considering my keen interest in the history and political dynamics, I like to see first hand how the people live, work and play.
I certainly would not spout off with anything that should cause trouble in either part of town, and I'd assume you would be the same if we were in a Nationalist bar.

That reminds me of a funny scene in the TV show Frasier. I am not sure you'll had it on over there, but it might be in re-runs. Frasier was the psychiatrist in Cheers (you'll must have seen that show) and he got his own show. Anyway in the episode "Where Every Bloke Knows Your Name", he starts going to a British pub in Seattle and starts to become one of the guys. However in a dart throwing competition, he starts making jokes about Brits, the queen, etc.
Some of the patrons are not amused.

As to the Nationalists living under Ulster rule, how realistic do you think that could be?
Regarding the Irish that like living under British rule, I was under the impression is was based more on economics rather than preferring the government. I know a shopkeeper here in the states who said her family essentially felt that way, even though they would prefer a united Ireland in principle, but would keep NI in the UK for practical monetary reasons.
Granted that is anecdotal and may not reflect the majority thinking, but there are at least some who feel that way.

`

I threw the reference to the Irish hating British song because it showed up a different picture of the image they usually show...the poor downtrodden - nobody suffers like us one. Anyway that was in the past.

I have never seen that show you mentioned. I have heard of it but that was it.

Re Nationalists having a share ( i notice you say ' under Ulster rule ). Not UNDER Ulster rule but a shared rule by the two peoples. Yes I agree many Catholic people '' know what side their bread is buttered on '' and would accept remaining in the UK. The drawback is always Sinn Fein/IRA who even years ago threatened to court-martial those Catholics who did not support them.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
Oh dear. Now The_General thinks there would be some kind of wish by Protestants to be in the Republic? This is meant to be a an adult discussion.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Oh dear. Now The_General thinks there would be some kind of wish by Protestants to be in the Republic? This is meant to be a an adult discussion.

Maybe he just does not want to know how the Protestants in Ulster feel. Seems that he does not like the idea that there are folk who don't embrace the 'lovable Irish'. What ! the whole world loves us and this crowd in 'tha narth' do not. Well we might like the Irish but not when they are trying to bomb us into a united Ireland.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:58 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe he just does not want to know how the Protestants in Ulster feel. Seems that he does not like the idea that there are folk who don't embrace the 'lovable Irish'. What ! the whole world loves us and this crowd in 'tha narth' do not. Well we might like the Irish but not when they are trying to bomb us into a united Ireland.
Come on guys, you know as well as I do some Protestants would be happy being part of the RoI, just as some Catholics are happy to be in NI as part of the UK.
Brexit alone shows how some want to be in the EU, whether they be liberal or moderate in their politics.

Now of course hardcore Loyalists want nothing to do with the RoI, and sadly might resort to violence to try and scuttle any such move to do so.
This was documented in the video I posted a couple of weeks ago, and those looked like old pensioners. Undoubtedly the younger bucks who have been indoctrinated by the anti-Irish mindset could very well go the route of the bullet instead of the ballot, despite the agreed upon GFA.

I posed this question to you Ulsterman, and you were reluctant to answer, but I am now going to ask RJ the same question.
(Maybe you will choose to answer this time as well)
How much different would your day to day life be RJ, (assuming you live in NI), if NI were to become part of the RoI?

`

Old 01-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Come on guys, you know as well as I do some Protestants would be happy being part of the RoI, just as some Catholics are happy to be in NI as part of the UK.
Brexit alone shows how some want to be in the EU, whether they be liberal or moderate in their politics.

Now of course hardcore Loyalists want nothing to do with the RoI, and sadly might resort to violence to try and scuttle any such move to do so.
This was documented in the video I posted a couple of weeks ago, and those looked like old pensioners. Undoubtedly the younger bucks who have been indoctrinated by the anti-Irish mindset could very well go the route of the bullet instead of the ballot, despite the agreed upon GFA.

I posed this question to you Ulsterman, and you were reluctant to answer, but I am now going to ask RJ the same question.
(Maybe you will choose to answer this time as well)
How much different would your day to day life be RJ, (assuming you live in NI), if NI were to become part of the RoI?

`

Still don't get it I see or maybe don't want to get it. The UVF was formed in 1913 to resist being forced into a united Ireland. That resistance is still here today. How would you stand if a group in America wished to be united with Canada and used the bomb and bullet to try and bring it about and in the process killed thousands of people.

Your last paragraph could be turned around and the same question asked of those nationalists living in Ulster. I don't think their day to day living is affected. Indeed they are probably better off where they are.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Maybe they might accept living under Ulster rule ? As mentioned before in that situation we would not be under Irish rule and the Irish in Ulster would not be under British rule.

I still believe there are many Catholics who prefer British rule but are frightened by the shinner gunmen. In the past some Catholic churches supported the British link and Maynooth Catholic College got 2,000 signatures wishing to keep the link. The fear would mostly be in working-class areas where any who did not support the shinners would be seen as traitors.

Aye, Dennis was the main man in the group but the man behind the scene Silverstein I think wrote most of the songs. Sylvia's Mother was supposedly based on what happened to him.

I think you would get more of a welcome in nationalist areas and that guy who sang the anti-British song would be there to entertain you in the Rock Bar.
Was just responding to this post. I don't need anybody putting words in my mouth.

Just responding to the many Catholics who prefer British rule, with no source while we're here? Can't I say with voting as a source more in Northern Ireland may want to join Ireland than Brexit without a plan?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:02 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Just in response to Ulsterman who thinks all the Catholics want to be ruled by Ulster. At least I provided a reason.

Although I'm sure everybody is looking forward to you're lower GDP per capita and Brexit

Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
"Your Ma's a Hard Brexit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_TWGIDDbI

Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
The G in the titles stands for The Guardian newspaper who I presume funded this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom