Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

So on the one hand you pay no attention to him, but on the other make claims not based on factual evidence

Regardless of your view on Adams in general, he has always denied membership in the IRA.

Lets see if any of those who readily jump on any poster who does not fully accept the Unionist/British rule in NI, will chime in to correct you on this mistake?

`
I saw him being interviewed during the troubles. He was denying nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
These people are most probably NOT Irish either.
Many an actual Irishman or even someone from Northern Ireland has gone to these festivals, some straight off the boat.
For example the Wolftones, Gaelic Storm, and others have performed. Also famous people like Liam Neelson & John Duddy (The Derry Destroyer) have made appearances or MC such events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN7K7GNa7O0

In most cases they do not make public announcements about NI since it is a festive occasion. But some like the Wolftones sign "rebel songs" about the struggles of the Irish in NI.
Heck that one song I remember posting about, not understanding the words because of the heavy Irish brogue, and it turned out to be about the IRA. A lot of the audience members were signing right along, and a decent number sounded fairly Irish to me.

Then again much of your comment is based on how you would define someone who is Irish. Need they be straight off the boat, a few generations removed, or could they have homes in America even though they live across the pond during the bad weather months?
I know of one local who is from NI, and splits her time. But she was born and bred in NI and follows the politics. She doesn't like to talk about it though.

BTW - I remember Liam speaking to a crowd, but I was too far away to really hear everything he was saying. At one point though, people started booing him. I got closer and asked someone why he was booed, and they said he made a positive comment about Ian Paisely. So whether or not members of that audience were genuinely Irish, or so called "plastic paddies", they were at least politically astute enough to know who Paisley was.

`

Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
They're Plastic Paddies.
I'm sure he'll feel right at home ...
You are a goofball, and I say that in a pleasant way.

Here is a question right up your alley. Being the conservative that I perceive you to be, what do you think about the DUP's threat to stop support of the Tories if Rory Stewart becomes their leader?

Also on a related but separate question, would you want to see Brexit occur, even if it means NI becomes part of Ireland as a result?

`

Old 06-19-2019, 02:05 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
You are a goofball, and I say that in a pleasant way.

Here is a question right up your alley. Being the conservative that I perceive you to be, what do you think about the DUP's threat to stop support of the Tories if Rory Stewart becomes their leader?

Also on a related but separate question, would you want to see Brexit occur, even if it means NI becomes part of Ireland as a result?

`
Stewart is out of the running so your first question is redundant He was only ever an anti-Brexit media favourite and never a serious runner
As to your second,I've told you many times I'd be delighted if NI became part of Ireland.
But Irish people don't want it to happen and neither do a majority in NI.
It's only misguided Plastic Paddies like yourself who dream in hope.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Many an actual Irishman or even someone from Northern Ireland has gone to these festivals, some straight off the boat.
For example the Wolftones, Gaelic Storm, and others have performed. Also famous people like Liam Neelson & John Duddy (The Derry Destroyer) have made appearances or MC such events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN7K7GNa7O0

In most cases they do not make public announcements about NI since it is a festive occasion. But some like the Wolftones sign "rebel songs" about the struggles of the Irish in NI.
Heck that one song I remember posting about, not understanding the words because of the heavy Irish brogue, and it turned out to be about the IRA. A lot of the audience members were signing right along, and a decent number sounded fairly Irish to me.

Then again much of your comment is based on how you would define someone who is Irish. Need they be straight off the boat, a few generations removed, or could they have homes in America even though they live across the pond during the bad weather months?
I know of one local who is from NI, and splits her time. But she was born and bred in NI and follows the politics. She doesn't like to talk about it though.

BTW - I remember Liam speaking to a crowd, but I was too far away to really hear everything he was saying. At one point though, people started booing him. I got closer and asked someone why he was booed, and they said he made a positive comment about Ian Paisely. So whether or not members of that audience were genuinely Irish, or so called "plastic paddies", they were at least politically astute enough to know who Paisley was.

`
I highly doubt that a very high percentage of people at these events are even remotely 'Irish'. The odd tourist, touring band or Liam Neeson isn't going to be much of a percentage.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt that a very high percentage of people at these events are even remotely 'Irish'. The odd tourist, touring band or Liam Neeson isn't going to be much of a percentage.
You might be right, but it still begs the question what do you consider Irish?

At the last big St. Patrick Day festival I attended, many at least looked like they could be Irish. Then again most Americans of any stripe will say "on St. Patrick Day, everyone is Irish" . Thus you have black, brown, yellow and the like all trying to do an Irish dance with a green hat and a Guinness in their hand.
It does seem a little odd in that other ethnic holidays (Columbus Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc.) few are trying to pretend to be of that group.

Certainly the woman I mentioned who lives in NI is presumably Irish, but then again she could identify as British.
Frankly, and unlike Roscoe, if I owned property in the RoI or NI, I'd hardly consider myself Irish, or knowledgeable of what they really think based on land ownership.

I do not recall what your view on Brexit is, nor would you be ok with NI becoming part of Ireland if Brexit was the impetus?

Despite Roscoe assuming only "plastic paddies" want it to happen, many an article or commentary like this are being discussed;

Peter Robinson’s warning about the prospect of a vote on Irish unity was intended to puncture any feelings of overconfidence the DUP’s cameo appearance at the heart of British politics may have induced.

Robinson complained that “too many unionists take the longevity of the Union for granted.” While there was little danger of a border poll as long as the Tories needed DUP votes at Westminster, he suggested, a Conservative government with an overall majority might call such a poll, “and a Jeremy Corbyn-led Labour Government certainly would.”

The main concern for Robinson and his co-thinkers is that Brexit will unsettle two vital constituencies: “soft nationalists” and “soft unionists.”

Both groups have a more pragmatic, transactional view of the Union than ideologues on either side of the constitutional fence. If British rule looks set to bring instability and economic disruption in its train, that may push them into the camp of its opponents.

Sinn Féin certainly hopes so.

Ironically, in view of his own record in government, Robinson urged the DUP not to get too hung-up over the question of an Irish language act: “I couldn’t care less about the Irish language. Let them speak it until they are green, white, and orange in the face, as long as it doesn’t encroach on me.”

Sensible advice for those who want to preserve the Union, although that does not mean Robinson’s party will take it to heart.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/05/unite...-sinn-fein-dup

It is a well written article that touches on many points we all are making as it relates to a possible untied Ireland.

`

Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw him being interviewed during the troubles. He was denying nothing.
Well I see no one has chimed in to correct you yet.

Maybe watching the video will help to show you (within the first 30 seconds) that you are mistaken, or at least reading the article will;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...mask-1.3385389

That Adams might have been in the IRA is certainly a possibility, but he has never once said so, and has always denied it.

So believe what you will, but you are mistaken to say Adams ever admitted to membership, or failed to deny it.

`

Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
You might be right, but it still begs the question what do you consider Irish?

At the last big St. Patrick Day festival I attended, many at least looked like they could be Irish. Then again most Americans of any stripe will say "on St. Patrick Day, everyone is Irish" . Thus you have black, brown, yellow and the like all trying to do an Irish dance with a green hat and a Guinness in their hand.
It does seem a little odd in that other ethnic holidays (Columbus Day, Cinco de Mayo, etc.) few are trying to pretend to be of that group.

Certainly the woman I mentioned who lives in NI is presumably Irish, but then again she could identify as British.
Frankly, and unlike Roscoe, if I owned property in the RoI or NI, I'd hardly consider myself Irish, or knowledgeable of what they really think based on land ownership.

I do not recall what your view on Brexit is, nor would you be ok with NI becoming part of Ireland if Brexit was the impetus?

Despite Roscoe assuming only "plastic paddies" want it to happen, many an article or commentary like this are being discussed;

Peter Robinson’s warning about the prospect of a vote on Irish unity was intended to puncture any feelings of overconfidence the DUP’s cameo appearance at the heart of British politics may have induced.

Robinson complained that “too many unionists take the longevity of the Union for granted.” While there was little danger of a border poll as long as the Tories needed DUP votes at Westminster, he suggested, a Conservative government with an overall majority might call such a poll, “and a Jeremy Corbyn-led Labour Government certainly would.”

The main concern for Robinson and his co-thinkers is that Brexit will unsettle two vital constituencies: “soft nationalists” and “soft unionists.”

Both groups have a more pragmatic, transactional view of the Union than ideologues on either side of the constitutional fence. If British rule looks set to bring instability and economic disruption in its train, that may push them into the camp of its opponents.

Sinn Féin certainly hopes so.

Ironically, in view of his own record in government, Robinson urged the DUP not to get too hung-up over the question of an Irish language act: “I couldn’t care less about the Irish language. Let them speak it until they are green, white, and orange in the face, as long as it doesn’t encroach on me.”

Sensible advice for those who want to preserve the Union, although that does not mean Robinson’s party will take it to heart.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/05/unite...-sinn-fein-dup

It is a well written article that touches on many points we all are making as it relates to a possible untied Ireland.

`
How do you 'look' Irish? The Irish tend to 'look' like the rest of humanity but I do know how you can 'tell'if somebody is Irish - they're born and raised there and they have an Irish passport, they don't watch the Boston socks play basketball they watch Gaelic football and rugby union. Americans that call themselves Italian arent Italian either, if they were they wouldnt have baseball players on the walls of their 'Italian' restaurants but instead they would be rabid about AC Milan or Napoli. Just while I think of it if there are Americans that like to 'think' of themselves as 'African', 'Italian' or 'Irish' then why not English, Scottish, German, French or Spanish?

Old 06-21-2019, 12:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
How do you 'look' Irish? The Irish tend to 'look' like the rest of humanity but I do know how you can 'tell'if somebody is Irish - they're born and raised there and they have an Irish passport, they don't watch the Boston socks play basketball they watch Gaelic football and rugby union. Americans that call themselves Italian arent Italian either, if they were they wouldnt have baseball players on the walls of their 'Italian' restaurants but instead they would be rabid about AC Milan or Napoli. Just while I think of it if there are Americans that like to 'think' of themselves as 'African', 'Italian' or 'Irish' then why not English, Scottish, German, French or Spanish?

They do. There are plenty of German, Scottish, English, French or Portuguese that Celebrate their heritage just like Italian, Irish or African or Puerto Rican or Dominican or any other heritage.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
There were 7 million people in Ireland in 1850 there are 4.5 million people in Ireland now. What other country has half the population it did in 1850
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom