Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yes, but then they realised by playing a part at Stormont they were helping to prop up a British institution and that couldn't be allowed to continue so off they went. So far they have not went into their usual mode of being discriminated against but give them time and that whinge could again be heard. The DUP and the other parties have said time after time that they are ready to get Stormont up and running but Sinn Fein refuse to return to Stormont.

The UDR were 'sitting ducks' and unable to return like with like. Many of their members ( including the Greenfinches ) were murdered by the IRA and this sometimes included their children too.

There were some Catholics who joined the UDR but they were murdered which had the desired effect of many of them leaving but not them all there were a brave few who remained.
This is one of those posts I can both agree and disagree with.

The most interesting aspect being of SF suddenly realized they were playing a role in propping up a British institution, therefore they scuttled it, is a belief among a decent number of Brits. It doesn't make much sense, but I do know it is a prevailing belief.
The question is why?
Say what you will about Gerry Adams, but he is a sharp guy, and even people who despise him say as much. Even if he and others in SF didn't realize the eventuality you correctly point out, critics within the Nationalist/Republican community were certainly vocal about it.
Those concerns were dismissed by Adams & Co, but they were obviously something he was made aware of. He obviously weighed it against whatever end game he and others envisioned.

But before I go too deep into the current mess at Stormont (which I think both sides are playing a part), do you really believe Adams suddenly woke up one morning and found himself in the conundrum you describe?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,401,755 times
Quote:
Three UDR members of the same family murdered by the IRA. All three were off duty at the time. As the title says they were a defensive organization. The family also lost their daughter who was in the UDR she was knocked down at a checkpoint. Was it deliberate?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48776194

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMahon_killings

Old 07-06-2019, 08:46 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post

Yes it was a terrible thing which happened and as I have repeatedly said on previous posts there were bad things done by both sides.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Yes it was a terrible thing which happened and as I have repeatedly said on previous posts there were bad things done by both sides.
You are one day going to just say XYZ was terrible, without equivocation or an obligatory comparison right.
If for no other reason, just once for my sake.

One of the things the modern PSNI seems to be able to do is police without overt bias. Though the PSNI was considered little more than the RUC in sheeps clothing by some, many of the old guard from the RUC have gone.
So while I have little doubt there are some bigots on the current force, they do seem to have gained more support if not trust by the Catholic/Nationalist community.
Needless to say any positive step no matter how small, is welcomed.

The new (old issue) about flags seems petty to me, especially SF recent insistence of the "pride flag" and the DUP walking out.
But the bigger issue of flying paramilitary flags should be stopped.
I say that just as strongly against the Republicans as I do the Loyalists. Sure you are not going to take the hate out of the heart of current members of those groups, but there should not be a tolerated public display (tacit public approval) on a daily basis.

`

Old 07-09-2019, 10:09 AM

As I have pointed out how despicable some of the actions of sectarianism can be when directed toward children and women, here is the latest example that just occurred.
This time by the green tribe.
Apparently these poor girls were just marching in a parade to raise money for some local band. Now assuming it was not some sectarian type of band, why would these guys sign loud and degrading things toward teenage girls?
Even if it was for a sectarian band, have some common decency and realize that these are teenage girls.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-38294380.html

Ergo, if you would not want teenage girls from the green tribe exposed to such things, then you don't do it to those of the orange tribe.
This is of course part of the overall mentality which perpetuates the mistrust and hate.

If Ireland is to be united, the Unionists/Loyalists that stay must be made to feel a part of the future. Maybe Foster might get a boat ticket across the Irish Sea, but most who live in NI today are not leaving.
Stopping this rubbish now is an important step for any type of progress to be made.

`

Old 07-10-2019, 03:17 PM

It would appear that there is progress being made despite the naysayers.

The Grand Secretary of the Orange Order has said that he would be willing to accept a united Ireland

Rev Mervyn Gibson told the Irish Times that if a united Ireland came about as a result of a border poll he would accept the democratic result and was not "going to go to war over it

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-38298886.html

`

Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As I have pointed out how despicable some of the actions of sectarianism can be when directed toward children and women, here is the latest example that just occurred.
This time by the green tribe.
Apparently these poor girls were just marching in a parade to raise money for some local band. Now assuming it was not some sectarian type of band, why would these guys sign loud and degrading things toward teenage girls?
Even if it was for a sectarian band, have some common decency and realize that these are teenage girls.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-38294380.html

Ergo, if you would not want teenage girls from the green tribe exposed to such things, then you don't do it to those of the orange tribe.
This is of course part of the overall mentality which perpetuates the mistrust and hate.

If Ireland is to be united, the Unionists/Loyalists that stay must be made to feel a part of the future. Maybe Foster might get a boat ticket across the Irish Sea, but most who live in NI today are not leaving.
Stopping this rubbish now is an important step for any type of progress to be made.
They sang "Come Out Ye Black and Tans"
It's not a sectarian song.

But the intent was bad and the Tyrone GAA club apologized.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
They sang "Come Out Ye Black and Tans"
It's not a sectarian song.

But the intent was bad and the Tyrone GAA club apologized.
You might be right as I am not familiar with the song, but does it include ""pile of f****** huns" (whatever that is)?
That said Foster of the DUP said it was a "deeply sectarian and offensive".

The obvious issue is what one side considers wrong, the other dismisses, and then visa versa.

`

Old 07-11-2019, 12:36 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,634 times
The "pile of f****** huns" is a comment from one or more people on the bus, it's not in the song.
Sectarian, yes.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:26 PM

391 posts, read 196,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
but does it include ""pile of f****** huns" (whatever that is)?

`
Hun was a derogatory British term for Germans during the wars. Also, having politics to the right of Attila The Hun........

I take all the warriors are still off observing the twelfth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom