Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 02:54 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome, Ulsterman. The Orange in question was born in the 1820s, in NY state. I was never terribly sure why he was named Orange, and I didn't keep a careful count of other Oranges. Sometime, when I'm at a library, I should run a search on Ancestry using Orange for the 1st name and leaving the last name blank.

Its worth a try southbound. It is unusual to hear of a name like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 03:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Its worth a try southbound. It is unusual to hear of a name like that.
Well, Ulsterman, I'm not even positive that the family was even in Ulster Province, but I know at least 2 generations were born in NY state. I wondered if, perhaps, he was born in Orange County. Then I saw that Orange had a son named Lemon, & thought that they just might be nuts. But I did see other males named Orange. . .

They were definitely Protestants.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:17 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,588 times
Quote:
Well, Ulsterman, I'm not even positive that the family was even in Ulster Province, but I know at least 2 generations were born in NY state. I wondered if, perhaps, he was born in Orange County. Then I saw that Orange had a son named Lemon, & thought that they just might be nuts. But I did see other males named Orange. . .

They were definitely Protestants.

Aye southbound there was quite a lot went from Ulster in the 1700s but also others in the 1800s. I have an old Methodist Report Book ( 160 years old ) which has a report from Ireland which tells how they were forced to leave and go to America.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Aye southbound there was quite a lot went from Ulster in the 1700s but also others in the 1800s. I have an old Methodist Report Book ( 160 years old ) which has a report from Ireland which tells how they were forced to leave and go to America.
That's amazing, Ulsterman. Many of my people were Methodist. The ministers kept their own books. There were not repositories for the records. Many of the ministers traveled by horseback to different places within their jurisdictions.

My people who I know came here from Ulster Province mostly came before the American Revolutionary War but one woman came , probably, just after the turn if the 19th century.

In the 18th century, the most popular route to the new world was Rotterdam to Liverpool to Philadelphia. Some got off the ship at Wilmington Delaware which was originally part of Pennsylvania. I've read that many left from Belfast and went to Liverpool. Some went to Liverpool expecting to work for the money to make the journey but stayed in Liverpool.

I did have an Irish couple come as children, one just before the potato famine and the other during it, but I don't think that their surnames occurred in Ulster Province. None were Catholics.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Two questions

Why is it ironic in your view that Nationalists go on about Ulster being 9 counties?
It seems to me that is one of the few things both sides can agree on. Granted you can go back in time prior to when such lines were drawn, but it seems to me to bolster either side of the modern day issues.

As to Orange County being named after William of Orange, I don't doubt it as many places in America are named after places in England/Britain. After all, many of us were once you guys.
But which counties (if you know) are named after him and Ulster ?

`
There's a lot of irony in the name of Orange County, NY. William of Orange had been married to his cousin Mary Stuart and they were installed as co-rulers. NY state started out as New Netherlands (the House of Orange). Don't forget William and Mary College in Virginia.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
Not so many now days they seem to be drinking Carlsberg and other brews. Guinness himself was a great loyalist but of course today Guinness is owned by a foreign country. ?

Aren't both Guinness and baileys owned by a british company?

Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
There's a lot of irony in the name of Orange County, NY. William of Orange had been married to his cousin Mary Stuart and they were installed as co-rulers. NY state started out as New Netherlands (the House of Orange). Don't forget William and Mary College in Virginia.
Well there you go, I learned something new today. William & Mary is a well respected institution of higher learning, but I had no clue whom it was named after.
As to Orange County NY, that didn't even come to mind as the two most popular Orange counties are probably in CA & Fl.

Quote:

I'm old enough to remember when it was commonplace for Europeans to refer to Americans, specifically in the US, as ignorant colonials.
Many cities, municipalities and the like bear our colonial history from across the pond. The way things are going with anti-colonial sentiment from the liberal Democrats, don't be surprised if some of them start demanding a chance of names, or even the re-writing of our constitution.
But I digress.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
It would appear the May's marriage to, or pay for play relationship with the DUP is an impediment with both SF & DUP at odds over how Brexit will play out in NI;

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-37894738.html

She is clearly between a rock and a hard place beholden to the DUP despite the majority of people in NI not wanting to leave the EU;

Sinn Féin has urged Theresa May and Ireland’s taoiseach Leo Varadkar to plan for a referendum on a united Ireland in event the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal.
The Good Friday agreement provides for a border poll if at any time it appears to the secretary of state that “a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the UK and form part of a united Ireland.”

McDonald has already suggested to Varadkar that a forum be convened to scope out all the issues, including the costs of a united Ireland; the impact on economies on both sides of the border; the health services, pensions, taxation and currency.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...says-sinn-fein

Old 03-10-2019, 04:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It would appear the May's marriage to, or pay for play relationship with the DUP is an impediment with both SF & DUP at odds over how Brexit will play out in NI;

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-37894738.html

She is clearly between a rock and a hard place beholden to the DUP despite the majority of people in NI not wanting to leave the EU;

Sinn Féin has urged Theresa May and Ireland’s taoiseach Leo Varadkar to plan for a referendum on a united Ireland in event the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal.
The Good Friday agreement provides for a border poll if at any time it appears to the secretary of state that “a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the UK and form part of a united Ireland.”

McDonald has already suggested to Varadkar that a forum be convened to scope out all the issues, including the costs of a united Ireland; the impact on economies on both sides of the border; the health services, pensions, taxation and currency.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...says-sinn-fein
This would be the same Mary Lou McDonald who recently said a border poll would be a bad idea,then the boys in Belfast had a quiet word in her ear,then next day she flip-flopped and said she "misspoke ".

Old 03-10-2019, 05:37 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Mary lou isn't up to much but is a giant compared to the o, Neil SF head in Northern Ireland

Teresa may is hardly a political genius either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom