Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
And James I of England was James VI of Scotland. It was a whole different ballgame.

Was he from Ireland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 01:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Was he from Ireland?
What do you think?

In what became Ulster Province the Scots and the Gaels went back and forth across the Irish Sea.

James I/VI was the son of Mary Queen of Scots. Whose mother was one of Henry VIII's sisters. James was the first of the Stuart line.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
What do you think?

In what became Ulster Province the Scots and the Gaels went back and forth across the Irish Sea.

James I/VI was the son of Mary Queen of Scots. Whose mother was one of Henry VIII's sisters. James was the first of the Stuart line.

Yup and that became drastically different in the 1600's

Old 03-07-2019, 01:43 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
I'd love to visit this "ulster province" some day, first I've heard of it.

Must try and find it on a map

Old 03-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Yup and that became drastically different in the 1600's
Think whatever you want. I don't think that you've ever read about it and are trying to stir the pot.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:39 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I'd love to visit this "ulster province" some day, first I've heard of it.

Must try and find it on a map
Oh dear,you're showing your complete and utter ignorance once again and it's becoming embarrassing.

There are nine counties in the province of Ulster, six of which are in Northern Ireland and three in the Republic.

Antrim (UK)
Armagh (UK)
Cavan (ROI)
Donegal (ROI)
Down (UK)
Fermanagh (UK)
Londonderry (UK)
Monaghan (ROI)
Tyrone (UK)

It is the second largest and second most populous of Ireland's four provinces, with Belfast being its biggest city.

The other three provinces on the island of Ireland are Munster,Leinster and Connacht.

They all have professional rugby teams who play in the Pro 14 league.Guess what ? They're known as Munster,Leinster,Connacht and ... wait for it ... Ulster.

And to think you call yourself " Irish " Bob. I'm an Englishman and even I know this basic stuff.

Morto.

Last edited by Roscoe Conkling; 03-07-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Think whatever you want. I don't think that you've ever read about it and are trying to stir the pot.

southbound I'd say you are right

Old 03-07-2019, 03:03 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
I'm beginning to think there's someone on here who has laboured all his life under the impression that Ulster is just Northern Ireland.
Imagine calling yourself Irish and not knowing something as basic as the four provinces of Ireland.
Lordy lordy.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Oh dear,you're showing your complete and utter ignorance once again and it's becoming embarrassing.

There are nine counties in the province of Ulster, six of which are in Northern Ireland and three in the Republic.

Antrim (UK)
Armagh (UK)
Cavan (ROI)
Donegal (ROI)
Down (UK)
Fermanagh (UK)
Londonderry (UK)
Monaghan (ROI)
Tyrone (UK)

It is the second largest and second most populous of Ireland's four provinces, with Belfast being its biggest city.

The other three provinces on the island of Ireland are Munster,Leinster and Connacht.

They all have professional rugby teams who play in the Pro 14 league.Guess what ? They're known as Munster,Leinster,Connacht and ... wait for it ... Ulster.

And to think you call yourself " Irish " Bob. I'm an Englishman and even I know this basic stuff.

Morto.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
southbound I'd say you are right
Ulsterman, I'm patient, but enough is enough. I read about it very thoroughly when the men with my mother's maiden name were being tested with Y-DNA. I have the jist of it, obviously not as much as you, but I understand the historical context. I've also worked with a Canadian who comes from the same name. I explained it to him and he got it. I know when someone is just stirring the pot, but I'm willing to be patient first. It's complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom