Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I think it is pretty well known that they both were under death threats from Republican dissidents who felt the cause was sold out by SF.

I would not be shocked if Adams was assassinated by a dissident Republican in much the same way Gandhi was assassinated by a radical Hindu, because he felt Gandhi was giving up too much to the Muslims.

`

Yes death threats and that's all they were...threats.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've answered your questions before. I explained why you are off-base to make accusations for RJ and Ulsterman using Roman Catholic. You chose to not believe me and said that you won't google it. Then why did you persist in asking and making accusations?

And as to your rather rude comment about married people of different religions not attending each others services. . .that's your opinion. The people who I knew who did that respected each other too much to put pressure on their mate over religion. The marriages lasted until the death of one partner, sometimes for over 40 years. It worked for them.

Oh, and I knew a Jewish girl who married a gentile in the 1970s. On the day of her wedding, her parents held her funeral. Friends of the family got to attend the service of their choice.

You ask the same questions over and over and choose not to accept the answers. I think that you're pushing people to cross the line. At this point, I only respond so that people who have not been to the US know that there are multiple answers.

I know how you feel southbound. I had the same from Vector from when I first came on here. He asked for prove of this and that and then when you provided it with facts and figures he goes around again with the same questions.

I sometimes think he wants to set a record for the most posts on this section.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
I've answered your questions before. I explained why you are off-base to make accusations for RJ and Ulsterman using Roman Catholic. You chose to not believe me and said that you won't google it. Then why did you persist in asking and making accusations?
Well, well, well my little droogie, it would seem that you prompted me to do more research on Google, and you might like like what I have found.

Unlike Irish Bob who accepted Trimble's view that the insistence of using the term Roman Catholic as being prim & proper, it does turn out there is something more to it;

---

Technically, “Catholic” (when capitalized) refers to the Christian Church founded by Our Blessed Lord on the Apostle Peter, and his successors (the Popes in Rome); while “Roman Catholic” only refers to a Catholic in the diocese of Rome.

However, in the 16th century, after the Protestant revolt in England, the English started to commonly call Catholics “Roman Catholics” as a slur insinuating that they had a allegiance to a foreign prince - the Roman Pontiff.

The slur became so common in English that many, including Catholics themselves, started to use “Roman Catholic” to refer to Catholic. It remains incorrect, and not a little demeaning
, even if Catholic dioceses in the English speaking world sometimes use it to refer to themselves.

So sad, if they knew their history, they would repudiate it. But the Vatican NEVER uses “Roman Catholic” except when they are quoting someone who is using it. It NEVER occurs in the Catechism, or in any other official documents. The Catholic Church always refers to Herself as the Catholic Church.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-dif...Roman-Catholic

---

Maybe as Americans we were not aware of it, but just the fact Trimble had to explain away the issue, must have meant something would prompt such an explanation.

So if Unionists/Loyalists in NI go around insisting on saying Roman Catholic (RC), it might not be as innocent as it seems.

What do you have to say now?

`

Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Well, well, well my little droogie, it would seem that you prompted me to do more research on Google, and you might like like what I have found.

Unlike Irish Bob who accepted Trimble's view that the insistence of using the term Roman Catholic as being prim & proper, it does turn out there is something more to it;

---

Technically, “Catholic†(when capitalized) refers to the Christian Church founded by Our Blessed Lord on the Apostle Peter, and his successors (the Popes in Rome); while “Roman Catholic†only refers to a Catholic in the diocese of Rome.

However, in the 16th century, after the Protestant revolt in England, the English started to commonly call Catholics “Roman Catholics†as a slur insinuating that they had a allegiance to a foreign prince - the Roman Pontiff.

The slur became so common in English that many, including Catholics themselves, started to use “Roman Catholic†to refer to Catholic. It remains incorrect, and not a little demeaning
, even if Catholic dioceses in the English speaking world sometimes use it to refer to themselves.

So sad, if they knew their history, they would repudiate it. But the Vatican NEVER uses “Roman Catholic†except when they are quoting someone who is using it. It NEVER occurs in the Catechism, or in any other official documents. The Catholic Church always refers to Herself as the Catholic Church.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-dif...Roman-Catholic

---

Maybe as Americans we were not aware of it, but just the fact Trimble had to explain away the issue, must have meant something would prompt such an explanation.

So if Unionists/Loyalists in NI go around insisting on saying Roman Catholic (RC), it might not be as innocent as it seems.

What do you have to say now?

`
I went to a Catholic school, because of crappy public schools, until we moved when I went into 8th grade. The catechism books taught that the Roman Catholic church referred to Catholics who acknowledge the Pope as the head of the church, as opposed to the Orthodox Catholic churches who do not acknowledge the Pope as their head.

It doesn't matter to me if it was a slur 500 years ago. In the same vein, members of the Religious Society of Friends were once called Quakers as a slur. Now they call themselves Quakers.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yes death threats and that's all they were...threats.
That is not correct from what I remember.

While most attempts on his life have been from Loyalists (who even shot up a funeral and a shopping area with other people around), he was attacked at his home by dissident Republicans around this time last year.

`

Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I know how you feel southbound. I had the same from Vector from when I first came on here. He asked for prove of this and that and then when you provided it with facts and figures he goes around again with the same questions.

I sometimes think he wants to set a record for the most posts on this section.
Ulsterman, I have no clue where he lives that he's oblivious to Orthodox Catholic churches. At this point, I no longer care.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ulsterman, I have no clue where he lives that he's oblivious to Orthodox Catholic churches. At this point, I no longer care.

Aye, southbound and I don't blame you . I posted up a pic of a Presbyterian Catholic Church but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That is not correct from what I remember.

While most attempts on his life have been from Loyalists (who even shot up a funeral and a shopping area with other people around), he was attacked at his home by dissident Republicans around this time last year.

`

Was he wounded or anything ? The IRA shot a man dead in a crowded shopping centre. They also bombed a furniture centre and killed two baby children. I could go on with many more.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Aye, southbound and I don't blame you . I posted up a pic of a Presbyterian Catholic Church but it didn't seem to make any difference.
I just feel obliged, when he makes blanket statements about the US that are completely strange to me, to make it clear to others that, as a US citizen, what he's saying is news to me.

While I am not a practicing Catholic, I was raised in the church. Most of my cousins are Methodist, and we all had strict instructions to not discuss religion. To this day, I have no clue what religion/s either of my grandmothers were raised in.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I just feel obliged, when he makes blanket statements about the US that are completely strange to me, to make it clear to others that, as a US citizen, what he's saying is news to me.

While I am not a practicing Catholic, I was raised in the church. Most of my cousins are Methodist, and we all had strict instructions to not discuss religion. To this day, I have no clue what religion/s either of my grandmothers were raised in.

Southbound living here its a wee bit different but at the end of the day it is up to the individual where they worship. I have worked with Catholics and had a drink with them in times gone past. Personally for myself I don't like all the rigmarole which goes on at services in the Roman Catholic church and the High Church of England and Orthodox but if it suits other people that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom