Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When someone speculates on the source of the problem and settles on the 19th century, maybe you think that's OK, and the area was not yet Northern Ireland.

The source of the problem goes back 400+ years, and is not just limited to the British monarchy and Parliament. The outward sign of Parliament's part in the whole thing is emigration to North America.
I am not referring at all to the political nature of Northern Ireland and I welcome all opinions on that aspect of that region of the uk

I made what was intended to be a light hearted comment about your "ulster province" banner, Mr Conkling then moronically assumed I did not know where the province of ulster is despite my dad having been born there and I having been raised two miles away from what is technically the leinster - ulster border

I now appreciate you use the tern "ulster province" within the very specific context of your research into the ulster Scots migration to the U. S centuries ago, I find that movement interesting myself but nobody in everyday common parlance refers to the North East of the island of Ireland as "ulster province" , they perhaps do in American universities but not anywhere in Ireland or the UK itself

Was unfortunate that Roscoes dumb nature blew this out of proportion but sure some people have no concept of wit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 11:27 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Thanks, Ulsterman. Speaking of Orange, one of my ancestors had a half-brother whose first name was Orange. Going through old census records in certain areas you see males named Orange.

Never knew that southbound and I'm sure for many others over here it's the same. I'll have to enlighten them. thanks

Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Not so many now days they seem to be drinking Carlsberg and other brews. Guinness himself was a great loyalist but of course today Guinness is owned by a foreign country. ?
Arthur Guinness was a clever dick

Took out a nine thousand year lease on his brewery premises in Central Dublin

Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Of course you are right southbound in saying there was an Ulster Province. It was the mapmakers who designated the various provinces and counties of Ulster and indeed the whole island. This was done during the reign of Elizabeth 1. Its ironic that Irish nationalists go on about Ulster being 9 counties a configuration which was set up by the English.

Just to mention there is an Ulster County in America which takes it's name from the Ulster Province and there is also an Orange County in America which takes it's name from William of Orange.
Two questions

Why is it ironic in your view that Nationalists go on about Ulster being 9 counties?
It seems to me that is one of the few things both sides can agree on. Granted you can go back in time prior to when such lines were drawn, but it seems to me to bolster either side of the modern day issues.

As to Orange County being named after William of Orange, I don't doubt it as many places in America are named after places in England/Britain. After all, many of us were once you guys.
But which counties (if you know) are named after him and Ulster ?

`

Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
do northern ireland loyalists drink Guinness?
I have not been there enough to know what the Loyalists regularly drink, but Guinness was certainly available in that part of town.
I do know a couple of British acquaintances I made like The Old Speckled Hen. It is yellowish in color and fairly smooth.

I was and still am perplexed why Harp (which is also brewed by Guinness) is not popular in the RoI, but abundant in NI.
Thus my favorite beer (Half & Half) could be found in abundance in NI, but not s much in the RoI.

NI even has Harp Ice on tap, which I never saw in the south. I have also never seen it here across the pond, whether it be in an Irish or British bar.

`

Old 03-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I have not been there enough to know what the Loyalists regularly drink, but Guinness was certainly available in that part of town.
I do know a couple of British acquaintances I made like The Old Speckled Hen. It is yellowish in color and fairly smooth.

I was and still am perplexed why Harp (which is also brewed by Guinness) is not popular in the RoI, but abundant in NI.
Thus my favorite beer (Half & Half) could be found in abundance in NI, but not s much in the RoI.

NI even has Harp Ice on tap, which I never saw in the south. I have also never seen it here across the pond, whether it be in an Irish or British bar.

`
Harp isn't popular because its terrible

Old 03-09-2019, 01:22 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Never knew that southbound and I'm sure for many others over here it's the same. I'll have to enlighten them. thanks
You're welcome, Ulsterman. The Orange in question was born in the 1820s, in NY state. I was never terribly sure why he was named Orange, and I didn't keep a careful count of other Oranges. Sometime, when I'm at a library, I should run a search on Ancestry using Orange for the 1st name and leaving the last name blank.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Harp isn't popular because its terrible
Blasphemy coming from an Irishman.

Then explain why those in NI have it everywhere?

`

Old 03-09-2019, 02:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I am not referring at all to the political nature of Northern Ireland and I welcome all opinions on that aspect of that region of the uk

I made what was intended to be a light hearted comment about your "ulster province" banner, Mr Conkling then moronically assumed I did not know where the province of ulster is despite my dad having been born there and I having been raised two miles away from what is technically the leinster - ulster border

I now appreciate you use the tern "ulster province" within the very specific context of your research into the ulster Scots migration to the U. S centuries ago, I find that movement interesting myself but nobody in everyday common parlance refers to the North East of the island of Ireland as "ulster province" , they perhaps do in American universities but not anywhere in Ireland or the UK itself

Was unfortunate that Roscoes dumb nature blew this out of proportion but sure some people have no concept of wit
I've tried to make it plain and clear that my research was done in the context of genealogy. We are not supposed to be doing genealogy on this board so I have specified no surnames in this thread.

With the exception of one grandfather, all of my ancestors have been in the US for a long time, many going back to colonial times. Like most people in the US, I can't get most of my people back to a specific location in their last location in Europe. In the US, whether it's genealogy or history, people either use location identification as the period-specific name or period-specific/modern name. I considered using the latter, but because Northern Ireland is minus 3 counties, I used the old name. When researching my immigrant grandfather, I always use the region name, because that has been stable for probably a thousand years, while the country has changed many times.

I'm old enough to remember when it was commonplace for Europeans to refer to Americans, specifically in the US, as ignorant colonials.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
I've tried to make it plain and clear that my research was done in the context of genealogy. We are not supposed to be doing genealogy on this board so I have specified no surnames in this thread.

With the exception of one grandfather, all of my ancestors have been in the US for a long time, many going back to colonial times. Like most people in the US, I can't get most of my people back to a specific location in their last location in Europe. In the US, whether it's genealogy or history, people either use location identification as the period-specific name or period-specific/modern name. I considered using the latter, but because Northern Ireland is minus 3 counties, I used the old name. When researching my immigrant grandfather, I always use the region name, because that has been stable for probably a thousand years, while the country has changed many times.

I'm old enough to remember when it was commonplace for Europeans to refer to Americans, specifically in the US, as ignorant colonials.

His name was Setanta but on killing the hound he got the Irish name of Cuchulainn

ULSTER there were five provinces at one time

1 Slieve Cuillen and Slieve Faud stand like warrior brothers to hold the Gap of the North,that was the chief way from Ireland into Ulster.

2 Iam Fedelma - 'As to what I do' - I weave the four provincies of Ireland together for the attack on Ulster

3 This is from Fergus MacRoy; to give me warning the hosts of Ireland will be in the Gap of the North within two days.

4 it was for him[Cuchulainn] to hold the pass against the whole war hosts of Ireland

5 The foreguard of the Irish hosts had not moved a bowshot from their last nights camp before their champion went down with Cuchulainn's spear through his heart.

6 Maeve's army had all Ireland behind to feed them but Cuchulainn and Laeg had to hunt for themselves.

7 Laeg tended his wounds and looked out towards the hosts of Ireland that by now had all but reached the ford.

8 With Follaman the King's son for their captain they marched out to meet the war hosts of Ireland, for the honour of Ulster and the aiding of the Hound.

9 A great hoarse shout broke from Cuchulainn's strained and tortured heart and it came like a cry for aid to the men of Ulster.

10 Up! Up! Cuchulainn! The hosts of Ireland will be upon us now that their last champion is dead.

12 The Men of Ulster are being slain and the women carried away. The cattle are being driven off, Cuchulainn alone holds the Gap of the North against the four provinces of Ireland.

13 Do you understand that the war hosts of all Ireland are at the gates of Ulster and none but the Hound of Ulster to stand in the gate.

14 For I tell you my Queen [Maeve] that in all Ireland, in all the world, there are none who can lightly face the Men of Ulster in their wrath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom