Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,570 times

Advertisements

A very long number of years ago on one of my many trips over to delightful Ulster I can remember walking on a quiet side street - think it was in Donaghadee and seen a flag above the front door of a house and did not recognise it at all. Was a bit later in a chat with someone I was told it was a flag representing an independent Ulster?

Adams waxing on is his latest nonsense? In his control they might as well have the hammer and sickle flag. I wish those who *** on about a united Ireland can take note that such is NOT a ploy of the Republic of Ireland and shows they are being very much more balanced and sensible. (Well done irish_bob!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 09:07 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
A very long number of years ago on one of my many trips over to delightful Ulster I can remember walking on a quiet side street - think it was in Donaghadee and seen a flag above the front door of a house and did not recognise it at all. Was a bit later in a chat with someone I was told it was a flag representing an independent Ulster?

Adams waxing on is his latest nonsense? In his control they might as well have the hammer and sickle flag. I wish those who *** on about a united Ireland can take note that such is NOT a ploy of the Republic of Ireland and shows they are being very much more balanced and sensible. (Well done irish_bob!).

I know the flag you have mentioned. I reckon it is the best looking flag of the many representing Ulster. I had a visitor over from America and he too liked that flag and so I posted it over to him.

I just posted Adams's remarks to show how things are in Ulster and the different views doing the rounds.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Yeah, regarding an interim period.
Maybe you missed that bit.
From your link:

I was quite aware that Adams was not giving up the idea of a united Ireland.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM

Thanks for that flag confirmation Ulsterman. It did I must admit stick in my mind and have now searched and recognised it again!

Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that flag confirmation Ulsterman. It did I must admit stick in my mind and have now searched and recognised it again!

Cheers rj

Old 01-31-2019, 01:49 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Ignore the goon
Despite his best efforts to get under my skin, he does not faze me on a personal level. It just gets frustrating when you are dealing with a reasonably smart person, and they want to play dumb.
Still, I am open to all sorts of posting styles and thoughts, as that is how we can learn from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I haven't seen any Catholic protests saying I want to be ruled by the Ulstemen.
As Ulsterman goes on to say, it is just a hypothetical, and as he does, I doubt Nationalists and especially Republicans would go for it. That is especially true of Ulster having been gerrymandered to have a British majority.
I suspect Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness figured in the long run, the Irish Catholics will out-breed the British Protestants, thereby having a voting majority in the future.

Brexit has helped to put the issue of a united Ireland at the forefront, but one wonders if things are as close as they had hoped today, as they envisioned back in the late 1990's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Who would have thought that it was leaving the EU that would break up the U.K.?

How about Ireland uniting into one country a 100 years later as a result of a post-World War 2 entity?

I would be more concerned about an independent Scotland joining Ireland to create a three-state federalist Republic of Great Britain. Pro-European Southern England may join as the third and final state to secure statehood in the republic for the rest of England. Northern England and Wales will become the new Northern Ireland once the Royalists retreat to the North, until its eventual unification into the State of England.
I cannot imagine what the powers that be thought when they gave up their sovereignty to Brussels on not only trade/economics (I can see that to some extent), but allowing an un-elected body from another culture to override what the British people wanted.
To think they can be told their cities, nation and culture will be altered in any fashion we choose, is a hard pill to swallow.
Of course my thoughts are different when it comes to the aspect of Ireland and NI, as that seems to be the main bailiwick related to Brexit.

As to the Scottish & Irish joining, I am not so sure how something like that might come about, or if it would work.
Still NI is now set upon their own course if the GFA holds, so where would they fit into a federalist republic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
No, and you won't, it was only a hypothetical situation which might or might not arise. And there you go taking the same road. I'l repeat it as it seems you did not get it. I spoke of a joint rule of Ulster between nationalists and unionists. That will probably never happen although Gerry Adams has talked of it albeit in the short term.
Two questions.

First do you see Adams as an honest broker?
I don't mean do you like or respect him, rather do you believe he means what he says?

Second, as presumably a person with Scot heritage, what do you think of KerrTown's idea in general, and how would/could NI play a part?

`

Old 01-31-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Despite his best efforts to get under my skin, he does not faze me on a personal level. It just gets frustrating when you are dealing with a reasonably smart person, and they want to play dumb.
Still, I am open to all sorts of posting styles and thoughts, as that is how we can learn from each other.

As Ulsterman goes on to say, it is just a hypothetical, and as he does, I doubt Nationalists and especially Republicans would go for it. That is especially true of Ulster having been gerrymandered to have a British majority.
I suspect Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness figured in the long run, the Irish Catholics will out-breed the British Protestants, thereby having a voting majority in the future.

Brexit has helped to put the issue of a united Ireland at the forefront, but one wonders if things are as close as they had hoped today, as they envisioned back in the late 1990's

I cannot imagine what the powers that be thought when they gave up their sovereignty to Brussels on not only trade/economics (I can see that to some extent), but allowing an un-elected body from another culture to override what the British people wanted.
To think they can be told their cities, nation and culture will be altered in any fashion we choose, is a hard pill to swallow.
Of course my thoughts are different when it comes to the aspect of Ireland and NI, as that seems to be the main bailiwick related to Brexit.

As to the Scottish & Irish joining, I am not so sure how something like that might come about, or if it would work.
Still NI is now set upon their own course if the GFA holds, so where would they fit into a federalist republic?

Two questions.

First do you see Adams as an honest broker?
I don't mean do you like or respect him, rather do you believe he means what he says?

Second, as presumably a person with Scot heritage, what do you think of KerrTown's idea in general, and how would/could NI play a part?

`

I posted up what Adams said. That's it. He has been caught out telling lies and the murder of Mrs Conville is but one. He is a good politician I suppose and like most politicians he is devious.

At one time Scotland and Ulster were one country whether that would ever be the case again is dubious though there has been talk of a bridge being built from Ulster to Scotland. Even Boris Johnston has backed this but bringing it to fruition is another matter.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:58 PM

I sigh at that comment from Vector1 about the idea of a united Ireland being so more or less part of everything and i would say that is a bit of propaganda that has been absorbed by him. SF/IRA goes on about a united thing all the damn time but Britain doesn't, Ireland doesn't so a bit of propaganda stuff being absorbed.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I sigh at that comment from Vector1 about the idea of a united Ireland being so more or less part of everything and i would say that is a bit of propaganda that has been absorbed by him. SF/IRA goes on about a united thing all the damn time but Britain doesn't, Ireland doesn't so a bit of propaganda stuff being absorbed.

I have said it before it is those who ' keep the pot boiling ' by murdering and maiming people to force them into a united Ireland. Ulster unionists never made any claim on the Irish Free State or later names given to the 26 counties. We recognized and accepted what happened and this included the loss of three counties. However, with that loss there was no bomb and bullet attacks on those three counties in an attempt to force them into a nine county Ulster. Its a pity that Irish republicans did not do the same as there would be many people still alive today.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:37 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I have said it before it is those who ' keep the pot boiling ' by murdering and maiming people to force them into a united Ireland. Ulster unionists never made any claim on the Irish Free State or later names given to the 26 counties. We recognized and accepted what happened and this included the loss of three counties. However, with that loss there was no bomb and bullet attacks on those three counties in an attempt to force them into a nine county Ulster. Its a pity that Irish republicans did not do the same as there would be many people still alive today.
I need to quibble with one aspect of this post

Cavan, monaghan and donegal were not wanted by unionists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom