Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The G in the titles stands for The Guardian newspaper who I presume funded this nonsense.
Classic

Virtually any time someone posts an article, documentary, or even a video clip like this that does not match your ideology/beliefs, you try to discredit it by attacking the source, rather than the sentiment.

As to the substance, we were just discussing how there are Irish who don't mind living under the UK government, and undoubtedly there are Brits who do not mind living under the RoI government.
The question is becoming more of why not, rather than here are my list of reasons I would oppose it. I would suspect much of it revolves around the respective economies, but it likely also has a religious component as well.
The RoI seems to not be as dominated by Catholicism as it once was, and for some Protestants that is a refreshing aspect.

Here in America and most western culture around the world, we scratch our heads over this. However, considering the long history of religious conflict between the Irish & English (within the same religion), it is an unavoidable factor in present day NI/RoI.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Just in response to Ulsterman who thinks all the Catholics want to be ruled by Ulster. At least I provided a reason.

Although I'm sure everybody is looking forward to you're lower GDP per capita and Brexit

I did not say ''all the Catholics'' it is you you have taken this out of what I posted. If you read my reply to Vector you'll see that I spoke of a shared rule.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Classic

Virtually any time someone posts an article, documentary, or even a video clip like this that does not match your ideology/beliefs, you try to discredit it by attacking the source, rather than the sentiment.

As to the substance, we were just discussing how there are Irish who don't mind living under the UK government, and undoubtedly there are Brits who do not mind living under the RoI government.
The question is becoming more of why not, rather than here are my list of reasons I would oppose it. I would suspect much of it revolves around the respective economies, but it likely also has a religious component as well.
The RoI seems to not be as dominated by Catholicism as it once was, and for some Protestants that is a refreshing aspect.

Here in America and most western culture around the world, we scratch our heads over this. However, considering the long history of religious conflict between the Irish & English (within the same religion), it is an unavoidable factor in present day NI/RoI.

`
You're talking your usual level of bilge again.
Ireland and UK have large numbers of citizens living in each others countries and have done from many decades.
Religion doesn't come into it.
It never does.
The only people who see a religious element to it are sectarian extremists and gullible Plastic Paddies.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You're talking your usual level of bilge again.
Ireland and UK have large numbers of citizens living in each others countries and have done from many decades.
Religion doesn't come into it.
It never does.

As usual you ignore what I pointed out (i.e. your dismissal of any source that does not fit your ideology) and talk in generalities.
You also make these definitive statements like "it never does" which I put in bold.

Obviously regular Irish & British folks choose to live and work in each others countries, but those are not the ones I am speaking about.
Instead the population of NI is a very different breed of people, mainly because of their troubled sectarian past which still factors into the 21st century.
So to say religion never plays a part in their lives is absurdly amusing coming from someone who thinks he knows more about NI than any 10 posters combined.

`

Old 01-27-2019, 09:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:

As usual you ignore what I pointed out (i.e. your dismissal of any source that does not fit your ideology) and talk in generalities.
You also make these definitive statements like "it never does" which I put in bold.

Obviously regular Irish & British folks choose to live and work in each others countries, but those are not the ones I am speaking about.
Instead the population of NI is a very different breed of people, mainly because of their troubled sectarian past which still factors into the 21st century.
So to say religion never plays a part in their lives is absurdly amusing coming from someone who thinks he knows more about NI than any 10 posters combined.

`
You're really trying to hard to stir things up today - are you bored of waiting for the Plastic Paddy Arms to open for Sunday lunch of Irish stew and soda bread with free begorrahs thrown in ?
I'll let you into a secret.
Protestants from Northern Ireland live in Catholic countries,English people live in Ireland and a very large number of Irish people live in the UK.
Your ignorance of modern-day life in Ireland and the UK and your repeated attempts to sow discord where no exists are amusing to watch.It's why Irish people of all religions find Plastic Paddies so ridiculous and laugh so much at them behind their backs.
If only you knew ...

Old 01-27-2019, 04:44 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Well The_General you might not want words put into your mouth but some maybe to your advantage dear man.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You're really trying to hard to stir things up today

I'll let you into a secret.
Protestants from Northern Ireland live in Catholic countries,English people live in Ireland and a very large number of Irish people live in the UK.
Your ignorance of modern-day life in Ireland and the UK and your repeated attempts to sow discord where no exists are amusing to watch.
Again you avoided my critique of your tendency to discredit sources that do not fit your ideological bent, and ignore the underlying sentiment.

As to you trying to imply religion and sectarianism are non existent in NI, you must have had a few too many pints.
There are almost monthly, if not weekly news stories and editorials about the past, present, and future issues between the Catholic and Protestant communities in NI.

The irony of course is that if you paid attention to what others in this discussion have said, you'd know I personally do not feel as if the religious divide is the main issue.
Yet unlike you who seems to think in very two dimensional and/or black & white terms, you cannot acknowledged the other side of the coin.
I wish religious division was a thing of the past in NI (as it is for most western cultures). But to deny it plays any part whatsoever, is either myopic rigidity or being willfully obtuse.

`

Old 01-28-2019, 01:14 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Again you avoided my critique of your tendency to discredit sources that do not fit your ideological bent, and ignore the underlying sentiment.

As to you trying to imply religion and sectarianism are non existent in NI, you must have had a few too many pints.
There are almost monthly, if not weekly news stories and editorials about the past, present, and future issues between the Catholic and Protestant communities in NI.

The irony of course is that if you paid attention to what others in this discussion have said, you'd know I personally do not feel as if the religious divide is the main issue.
Yet unlike you who seems to think in very two dimensional and/or black & white terms, you cannot acknowledged the other side of the coin.
I wish religious division was a thing of the past in NI (as it is for most western cultures). But to deny it plays any part whatsoever, is either myopic rigidity or being willfully obtuse.

`
Ignore the goon

Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
I think the idea of an independent Northern Ireland state is a very interesting one and in theory would be a very civilised solution - compromise which outsiders (myself included) would be delighted with.

You would have to wonder however if many on both sides would view it as a bronze medal prize, leaving both sides empty and dissatisfied, is there any real serious discussion about such a third way?

I think this new country would have to remain in the commonwealth and I think the Republic of Ireland should itself rejoin that club but the Irish language would most likely be made official along with English, I want to stress that particular issue is not one which is important to me but I'm just imagining the type of list of demands each community might have

Old 01-28-2019, 06:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I did not say ''all the Catholics'' it is you you have taken this out of what I posted. If you read my reply to Vector you'll see that I spoke of a shared rule.

I haven't seen any Catholic protests saying I want to be ruled by the Ulstemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom