Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times

Advertisements

Who would have thought that it was leaving the EU that would break up the U.K.?

How about Ireland uniting into one country a 100 years later as a result of a post-World War 2 entity?

I would be more concerned about an independent Scotland joining Ireland to create a three-state federalist Republic of Great Britain. Pro-European Southern England may join as the third and final state to secure statehood in the republic for the rest of England. Northern England and Wales will become the new Northern Ireland once the Royalists retreat to the North, until its eventual unification into the State of England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I think the idea of an independent Northern Ireland state is a very interesting one and in theory would be a very civilised solution - compromise which outsiders (myself included) would be delighted with.

You would have to wonder however if many on both sides would view it as a bronze medal prize, leaving both sides empty and dissatisfied, is there any real serious discussion about such a third way?

I think this new country would have to remain in the commonwealth and I think the Republic of Ireland should itself rejoin that club but the Irish language would most likely be made official along with English, I want to stress that particular issue is not one which is important to me but I'm just imagining the type of list of demands each community might have

Aye, its all speculation but I think you have put a reasonable suggestion forward. The financial side of things would have to be sorted and as Cahir Healy said many years ago the Republic would not be able to put the same money into Ulster that the British government has. Of course its today we are discussing but I think the question would be the same. Could Eire afford to put the money into Ulster and if they could how long would this last.

If less money was forthcoming this would affect both Catholics and Protestants.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I haven't seen any Catholic protests saying I want to be ruled by the Ulstemen.

No, and you won't, it was only a hypothetical situation which might or might not arise. And there you go taking the same road. I'l repeat it as it seems you did not get it. I spoke of a joint rule of Ulster between nationalists and unionists. That will probably never happen although Gerry Adams has talked of it albeit in the short term.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:38 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Aye, its all speculation but I think you have put a reasonable suggestion forward. The financial side of things would have to be sorted and as Cahir Healy said many years ago the Republic would not be able to put the same money into Ulster that the British government has. Of course its today we are discussing but I think the question would be the same. Could Eire afford to put the money into Ulster and if they could how long would this last.

If less money was forthcoming this would affect both Catholics and Protestants.
Might it be reasonable to suggest both the Republic of Ireland and the UK financially support a new independent state of Northern Ireland for a set period?

It's fine playing fantasy new country but I wonder would people who were tied with head and heart to either the UK or Ireland end up even more dissatisfied?

Probably something which appears a whole lot better on paper, still I think if it was politically palatable, the funding would be forthcoming from outside nations

Old 01-28-2019, 11:42 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
No, and you won't, it was only a hypothetical situation which might or might not arise. And there you go taking the same road. I'l repeat it as it seems you did not get it. I spoke of a joint rule of Ulster between nationalists and unionists. That will probably never happen although Gerry Adams has talked of it albeit in the short term.
Whatever you do, for heavens sake don't let SF near the finance ministry, I know you lot like bonfires but there is burning money and burning money

Old 01-28-2019, 11:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:

I kinda thought that was what was already in place.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:10 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I kinda thought that was what was already in place.
Ulsterman is talking of a completely independent NI, not under British rule, nor the Republic of Ireland.

What they have presently via the Good Friday Agreement is a devolved government in Stormont (presently not functioning due to intransigence on both sides). However it is still part of the UK.
Frankly, this is a novel idea, but as Irish Bob points out it might be akin to a Bronze medal, that no one is happy with.

Now if you look at KerrTown's post, that is an even more outside of the box proposal, but anything resembling the greatest nation on the earth (hint a former colony that is now a constitutional republic), would be a step in the right direction.

`

Old 01-28-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Might it be reasonable to suggest both the Republic of Ireland and the UK financially support a new independent state of Northern Ireland for a set period?

It's fine playing fantasy new country but I wonder would people who were tied with head and heart to either the UK or Ireland end up even more dissatisfied?

Probably something which appears a whole lot better on paper, still I think if it was politically palatable, the funding would be forthcoming from outside nations

We can but speculate. There are quite a lot of foreign people now in both countries so I think they might have some bearing in what the future holds.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:46 PM

Gerry Adams: United Ireland is not the only option Monday, July 25, 2016

Mr Adams said at the weekend that he is prepared to consider alternative forms of governance for the North than a united Ireland.

In a significant intervention, Mr Adams said Sinn Féin wanted to see a real republic on the island of Ireland. He said his party would consider alternative forms of governance, in the short run.

“We’d prefer a unitary state but can we look at other methods? Yes, absolutely,” he said.

“It isn’t a matter of dragging them into a united Ireland but it is a matter of thinking about new relationships and they are thinking about new relationships.”

“What is required is a consistent, strategic position that doesn’t have to be in your face,” he added.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland....75.html

Old 01-28-2019, 04:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,830 times
Quote:
Gerry Adams: United Ireland is not the only option Monday, July 25, 2016

Mr Adams said at the weekend that he is prepared to consider alternative forms of governance for the North than a united Ireland.

In a significant intervention, Mr Adams said Sinn Féin wanted to see a real republic on the island of Ireland. He said his party would consider alternative forms of governance, in the short run.

“We’d prefer a unitary state but can we look at other methods? Yes, absolutely,” he said.

“It isn’t a matter of dragging them into a united Ireland but it is a matter of thinking about new relationships and they are thinking about new relationships.”

“What is required is a consistent, strategic position that doesn’t have to be in your face,” he added.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland....75.html
Yeah, regarding an interim period.
Maybe you missed that bit.
From your link:

Quote:
The Louth TD was speaking as the party’s Ard Comhairle met in Dublin on Saturday. Mr Adams added: “Can we be open to other suggestions either as interim or transitional measures or as a form of governance for the whole island? Yes, of course we can.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom