Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM

724 posts, read 504,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
John McMichael was a UDA man who published a booklet called Common Sense. I have never read it but going by various reports in the newspapers it proposed a united Ulster with both Protestants and Catholics playing a part. He was later murdered by the IRA.

Another interesting fact according to Ed Moloney is that one of the Provos former delegate to Libya ( who wasn't actually a Provo himself IIRC ) tried to set up a meeting between the Provos and the UDA to discuss the possibility of the formation of an independent Ulster state , right around the time of the Ulster Workers' Council strike ...

Needless to say nothing came out of the whole affair , but it's an interesting historical tidbit I thought I'd throw in . Also for what it's worth , I'd like to apologize if I'm offending anyone by going off into random historical tangents , it's just that I find the Troubles to be an extremely fascinating historical period which is why I'm prone to bring up the past .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 11:27 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Another interesting fact according to Ed Moloney is that one of the Provos former delegate to Libya ( who wasn't actually a Provo himself IIRC ) tried to set up a meeting between the Provos and the UDA to discuss the possibility of the formation of an independent Ulster state , right around the time of the Ulster Workers' Council strike ...

Needless to say nothing came out of the whole affair , but it's an interesting historical tidbit I thought I'd throw in . Also for what it's worth , I'd like to apologize if I'm offending anyone by going off into random historical tangents , it's just that I find the Troubles to be an extremely fascinating historical period which is why I'm prone to bring up the past .

Historum is a site set up for that very purpose ...to explore history. Yes, I believe you are right I can remember something about that.

I think the reason for an interest in Ulster is because its an ongoing situation.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:28 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Oh I don't mind helping out at all irish_bob I am like my country very generous to the ones that get stuff dished out to them!

Old 01-24-2019, 01:32 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
Oh I don't mind helping out at all irish_bob I am like my country very generous to the ones that get stuff dished out to them!
If you dished out a few leftover crumbs to the ducks from your home made sandwiches

You would still be telling other's about it forty years later.

Like a Scottish forest gump on the park bench, telling anyone who will listen

Old 01-24-2019, 02:00 PM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
La Mon would be a no no for me as auld memories die hard. I have had a few drinks with a victim of the La Mon bombing. He survived but his wife and sister were killed in that IRA bomb. Unlike those killed in Bloody Sunday I don't think they have been compensated or if they have it was nowhere near the sums paid out to the Bloody Sunday people. But the last I heard they were not compensated.

Agree I don't think you would be met with open arms given your support for Irish republicans

The missus and I went to see Dennis Loccarrie ( i'll never get that spelling right ) at the Waterfront he was brilliant ' dancing on daddy's feet ' etc It was a great night.
Dennis was the main lead singer, and the guy with the eye patch was mostly backing and only occasional lead. He was a wild one and an aging rocker who helped me get some action that night, so I will be eternally grateful.
Sadly I think I read where he died just a few weeks ago.
As I said that group was before my time, but they were very entertaining live, many years after their prime.

I know you gave me a wink, so hopefully that means if we do get together in NI you would not be blurting out I am a Nationalist sympathizer in a Unionist pub.
If that is the case we'd have to meet in the RoI.

In all seriousness, I think there is a good chance of me getting over there, so I'd assume you would be cool and not even joke about that if we meet.
I do not consider myself a Nationalist sympathizer unless that means I think that a untied Ireland would fix more than it would cause harm.
The other alternate could be a completely autonomous Northern Ireland, but I am not as confidant the orange and green can live in peace under a dual government. The one thing that seems certain is that many Irish will never accept living under British rule, devolved or not.

As we both know, the current situation is untenable, and if the DUP & SF do not get their acts together, something will fill the void. That could be better, or worse.

`

Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
Although I did previously indicate an attitude that you were an intelligent person irish_bob you are I am afraid being a little smart alec rather than face the basic passing truths about history and modernity. It was the EU that helped the Republic get anywhere because for decades it could NOT do such itself and as I have also been honest historically about we too giving a passing loan so if you want to do a person contradiction of my previous regard for you do feel free. I am well into the largest rail simulator programme being done for across the Irish Sea so will in my short trip down to Dublin maybe take my meal remnants to parts of the city a bit dodgy and one would not want to boast about!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Dennis was the main lead singer, and the guy with the eye patch was mostly backing and only occasional lead. He was a wild one and an aging rocker who helped me get some action that night, so I will be eternally grateful.
Sadly I think I read where he died just a few weeks ago.
As I said that group was before my time, but they were very entertaining live, many years after their prime.

I know you gave me a wink, so hopefully that means if we do get together in NI you would not be blurting out I am a Nationalist sympathizer in a Unionist pub.
If that is the case we'd have to meet in the RoI.

In all seriousness, I think there is a good chance of me getting over there, so I'd assume you would be cool and not even joke about that if we meet.
I do not consider myself a Nationalist sympathizer unless that means I think that a untied Ireland would fix more than it would cause harm.
The other alternate could be a completely autonomous Northern Ireland, but I am not as confidant the orange and green can live in peace under a dual government. The one thing that seems certain is that many Irish will never accept living under British rule, devolved or not.

As we both know, the current situation is untenable, and if the DUP & SF do not get their acts together, something will fill the void. That could be better, or worse.

`

Maybe they might accept living under Ulster rule ? As mentioned before in that situation we would not be under Irish rule and the Irish in Ulster would not be under British rule.

I still believe there are many Catholics who prefer British rule but are frightened by the shinner gunmen. In the past some Catholic churches supported the British link and Maynooth Catholic College got 2,000 signatures wishing to keep the link. The fear would mostly be in working-class areas where any who did not support the shinners would be seen as traitors.

Aye, Dennis was the main man in the group but the man behind the scene Silverstein I think wrote most of the songs. Sylvia's Mother was supposedly based on what happened to him.

I think you would get more of a welcome in nationalist areas and that guy who sang the anti-British song would be there to entertain you in the Rock Bar.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
Maybe they might accept living under Ulster rule ? As mentioned before in that situation we would not be under Irish rule and the Irish in Ulster would not be under British rule.

I still believe there are many Catholics who prefer British rule but are frightened by the shinner gunmen. In the past some Catholic churches supported the British link and Maynooth Catholic College got 2,000 signatures wishing to keep the link. The fear would mostly be in working-class areas where any who did not support the shinners would be seen as traitors.

Aye, Dennis was the main man in the group but the man behind the scene Silverstein I think wrote most of the songs. Sylvia's Mother was supposedly based on what happened to him.

I think you would get more of a welcome in nationalist areas and that guy who sang the anti-British song would be there to entertain you in the Rock Bar.

And I believe their are more Prots in Northern Ireland who might want to go to be Ireland because they voted against the Brexit.

As it is religion is mattering less and less and economics matter more and more

If there is no Brexit deal the UK is about to get hammered.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
And I believe their are more Prots in Northern Ireland who might want to go to be Ireland because they voted against the Brexit.

As it is religion is mattering less and less and economics matter more and more

If there is no Brexit deal the UK is about to get hammered.

Don't think so. It was more financial than anything to do with a united Ireland. North Down is known as the gold coast as it's mostly populated by rich business people. They have a Unionist MP at Westminster..Lady Herman.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:08 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,402,102 times
Quote:
Don't think so. It was more financial than anything to do with a united Ireland. North Down is known as the gold coast as it's mostly populated by rich business people. They have a Unionist MP at Westminster..Lady Herman.

But on the whole Northern Ireland is much poorer than the Republic of Ireland and the rest of the UK for that matter so they're not really helping you out that much either.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Norther...lic-of-Ireland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom