Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

It's right there, the native population of Ulster fought against English colonization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
They do. There are plenty of German, Scottish, English, French or Portuguese that Celebrate their heritage just like Italian, Irish or African or Puerto Rican or Dominican or any other heritage.
They are NOT German, Scottish, English, French or Portuguese, just like I am NOT German, Italian, Spanish, Scottish or Scandinavian.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
They are NOT German, Scottish, English, French or Portuguese, just like I am NOT German, Italian, Spanish, Scottish or Scandinavian.

Yeah they're Americans, but they're not Native Americans. So a Scottish or French person will still call themselves Scottish or French. I live in Massachusetts, there are tons of people of French Canadian decent here, tons of people of Irish Decent, tons of people of Italian Decent, tons of people of English Decent tons of people of Dominican Decent, tons of people of Puerto Rican Decent. No they aren't of that country but everybody will say I'm Irish, Italian, French, Scottish, English, Dominican or Puerto Rican. It just vernacular that is common place.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:40 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation_of_Ulster

It's right there, the native population of Ulster fought against English colonization

But the native population were there long before they were colonized by other tribes including those they call Irish.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:29 PM

16,601 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How do you 'look' Irish? The Irish tend to 'look' like the rest of humanity but I do know how you can 'tell'if somebody is Irish - they're born and raised there and they have an Irish passport, they don't watch the Boston socks play basketball they watch Gaelic football and rugby union. Americans that call themselves Italian arent Italian either, if they were they wouldnt have baseball players on the walls of their 'Italian' restaurants but instead they would be rabid about AC Milan or Napoli. Just while I think of it if there are Americans that like to 'think' of themselves as 'African', 'Italian' or 'Irish' then why not English, Scottish, German, French or Spanish?
Don't get me started on hyphenated-Americans, though I suspect we are of the same mindset.

I suspect you are older and therefore probably possess a skill many younger people now days seem to have lost. That being many ethnic groups/races have certain physical characteristics. So while there are some exceptions to the rule, generally you can have a sense of peoples race or ethnic background based on appearance.
Can I always tell the difference between an English, Irish or Scotsman.
No
However the older generations can look at or listen to others, and be fairly certain of what their ethnicity is.
Thus my comment, all be it generalized.
Lets put it this way, there were not a lot of minorities there from Peru and the like.

As to what makes someone Irish, vs. Northern Irish, or British, that certainly is harder to discern. I tried touching upon this when asking about traveling from one section in NI to the other. Can mere inflections, tones or even appearance alert the other side, they are traveling in their midst?
Another words lets say I am a Protestant who has an interest in a Catholic girl on the other side of the tracks.
Assuming I am not wearing a Union Jack on my sleeve (and no one knows me personally), can I be sniffed out as being on the wrong side of town?
I would guess if your name was Billy that might be an indicator as someones name, or the way it is spelled could be a give away.

Part of what had me thinking about this more was the possible trip to NI this year. When I was discussing getting together with Ulsterman for a few pints, he thought it might not be the best idea. Though he did not say it directly, I got the impression he felt it might not be safe.
I wouldn't think a Yank tourist would set off any alarm bells with the locals, but who knows.
Having been to both sides of the "peace walls" several times without incident, the only time I went into known sectarian establishments was on the Black Cab tours.

Your safety is supposedly secure as is that of your driver, but our driver made it clear he could never go to some of the places whilst not working.
He indicated he would likely be killed, which is another strange aspect of the tours. Both Loyalist & Republican drivers are given safe passage one duty, but either might be harmed otherwise.
I cannot think of an example where such things happen over across the pond, but NI is unique in many ways.

`

Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Yeah they're Americans, but they're not Native Americans. So a Scottish or French person will still call themselves Scottish or French. I live in Massachusetts, there are tons of people of French Canadian decent here, tons of people of Irish Decent, tons of people of Italian Decent, tons of people of English Decent tons of people of Dominican Decent, tons of people of Puerto Rican Decent. No they aren't of that country but everybody will say I'm Irish, Italian, French, Scottish, English, Dominican or Puerto Rican. It just vernacular that is common place.

Sort of like the people whose ancestors moved out of Britain to relocate in Ulster that today call themselves English?

Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Sort of like the people whose ancestors moved out of Britain to relocate in Ulster that today call themselves English?

Not sure I follow that. If anything they would call themselves British,Ullish or Irish. Never heard anyone call themselves English unless maybe just those from England who have newly arrived in Ulster.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:59 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I'm no expert but I don't think anybody who is North Irish call themselves English!! Anericans are funny sods when it comes to nationality and race, why are they always trying so desperately claim they are somebody theyre not?

Old 06-22-2019, 04:58 PM

16,601 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Not sure I follow that. If anything they would call themselves British,Ullish or Irish. Never heard anyone call themselves English unless maybe just those from England who have newly arrived in Ulster.
While I suspect you are correct about most of the Brits in NI not calling themselves English, why would some not identify as Scots?
I ask for obvious reasons since many a Scot was planted in the North of Ireland back in the day by the English/British. Either by hook or crook.

`

Old 06-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While I suspect you are correct about most of the Brits in NI not calling themselves English, why would some not identify as Scots?
I ask for obvious reasons since many a Scot was planted in the North of Ireland back in the day by the English/British. Either by hook or crook.

`

They class themselves as Ulster-Scots that covers both areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom