Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 02:05 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yes, you are right I got it wrong.
No problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 02:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,620 times
Quote:
Protestants have always been a small minority on the island most times numbered in thousands while Catholics were in the millions. Its a miracle they have still survived. Their life has always been between a rock and a hard place and it hasn't changed. Still under siege.
A small minority and getting smaller:

Working-age people in Northern Ireland: 44% Catholic, 40% Protestant, 16% Other.
School-age people in Northern Ireland: 51% Catholic, 37% Protestant, 12-13% Other.

Those were the figures in 2016. If this trend continues, by 2021, Catholics will be the majority of the population of Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43823506

Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
A small minority and getting smaller:

Working-age people in Northern Ireland: 44% Catholic, 40% Protestant, 16% Other.
School-age people in Northern Ireland: 51% Catholic, 37% Protestant, 12-13% Other.

Those were the figures in 2016. If this trend continues, by 2021, Catholics will be the majority of the population of Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43823506

Yes as Archbishop King said back in the 1700's 'they are a breeding people '. Mr Anderson (mayor) pointed out when interviewed by a reporter back in the 1960s that the council had built many houses for the Catholic population but it was like trying to fill a bucket with water but the bucket had a hole in it. He showed the interviewer a newspaper which had an article about a family of 21 in the Creggan.

Bear in mind the RC church did not allow contraception.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
No problem

Yes I got ' my wires crossed ' when I quoted... '' In the nine counties of historic Ulster Protestants outnumbered Catholics 56: 44 ''. That was in the nine counties not in the three counties.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yes as Archbishop King said back in the 1700's 'they are a breeding people '. Mr Anderson (mayor) pointed out when interviewed by a reporter back in the 1960s that the council had built many houses for the Catholic population but it was like trying to fill a bucket with water but the bucket had a hole in it. He showed the interviewer a newspaper which had an article about a family of 21 in the Creggan.

Bear in mind the RC church did not allow contraception.
The unionist people should get busy "breeding" if it pays such a political dividend

Old 02-04-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The unionist people should get busy "breeding" if it pays such a political dividend

Aye, but they used contraception in those years gone by Some did breed in big numbers but nothing compared to the Catholics. As I may have mentioned before there were Catholics who supported the link with Britain back in the times of Victoria. That support came from some Catholic churches and Maynooth College. Whether that still applies today is just guesswork.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Aye, but they used contraception in those years gone by Some did breed in big numbers but nothing compared to the Catholics. As I may have mentioned before there were Catholics who supported the link with Britain back in the times of Victoria. That support came from some Catholic churches and Maynooth College. Whether that still applies today is just guesswork.
People are having smaller families down here this long time, bar the travellers of course

Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
People are having smaller families down here this long time, bar the travellers of course

Wasn't aware of that. They have accepted termination of pregnancy down there or have I got it wrong ? An article I read said that there was a likelihood that some Catholics would vote DUP because of their opposition to abortion.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Wasn't aware of that. They have accepted termination of pregnancy down there or have I got it wrong ? An article I read said that there was a likelihood that some Catholics would vote DUP because of their opposition to abortion.
I've said that myself several times.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:07 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
I would muse that the change to smaller families down South is essentially due to the fact that the Church of Rome no longer controls the place and that has been an added blessing to the people overall.So well done all you progressive Irish folk! part of that old historical tragedy was that the Church did not care a proverbial damn about the pressure on families and the difficulty for parents and was not a very practical spiritual standing. I don't think that everyone not in the same corner as the Prots or routine Unionist corner want to be merged with the South but at least the ballot box keeps their wish prttected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom