Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It didn't take long for one cretinous MP to blame Brexit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeFre...93157453918209
I do not go on twitter, but after checking your link out, realize I am not missing anything.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Here's a suggestion for you.
Why not research the many media reports there are about the incident instead of just speculating ?
You know,real facts instead of barstool postulating.
You might learn something.

This is what they said...

Saoradh “The Derry 1916 Commemoration Committee have opted to cancel this Easter Monday’s annual commemoration as a mark of respect for the tragic and accidental killing of Lyra McKee.”

I'm left to wonder if it had been a Protestant reporter shot dead instead of Lyra would they have called of their parade. I doubt it.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:46 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Here's a suggestion for you.
Why not research the many media reports there are about the incident instead of just speculating ?
You know,real facts instead of barstool postulating.
You might learn something.
Well I did ask members here to give me their take on things, so why not enlighten us with your viewpoint?

I can say that several of the articles I read are 180 from each other, hence the reason I am still wondering/speculating.
Very little is being covered regarding how the riot started, vs. the death of the journalist.

I do try to hear both sides before coming to a knee-jerk reaction like some people are inclined to do.

`

Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You could be right as who really knows if Warren has some red in her. But as you understand being American, some whites try to pretend they are red, brown or some other affirmative action recognized group. They do that to get hired, promoted, admitted to schools etc.

I know the RUC/PSNI attempted such a program for hiring and promotions of Catholics, which to us Americans seem crazy.
Yet some of the things we did to integrate blacks into schools via busing might be a solution for Catholic and Protestant kids.

`
I'll just say that I remember adults with the same complexion coloration as Warren. There are a couple of ways to nail it down, the best that it can be, in records, but that's just way off of your topic. Let's just say that there were plenty of Scotch-Irish in areas with plenty of native Americans aka American Indians in the early days. She's from Oklahoma, which ups her odds, exponentially, and the DNA testing companies have been derelict in testing people in the US with known native backgrounds.

I think that all of the testing companies have been derelict in testing known populations in Europe as well, leaving it totally to chance. You can't anticipate everything, but science shouldn't just be left to chance.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 PM

465 posts, read 607,854 times
Quote:
Enjoy Gerry Adams replying to himself on Twitter but forgetting to switch accounts.
A bit like forgetting where he has buried all the bodies.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GerryAdam...57072212291584
Regardless whether you agree with his past, surely you agree with Gerry Adams’s condemnation of the troublemakers? Simply say yes.

Last edited by King of the South; 04-20-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It didn't take long for one cretinous MP to blame Brexit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgeFre...93157453918209
Curious that a conservative MP would make that comment. I have to agree with Roscoe on this one, at least to a point. While Brexit has the potential to undermine the peace process, it’s not like hard borders have already gone up. I’m going to take the Gerry Adams point of view in condemning the troublemakers, the nutty members of this splinter group misappropriating the IRA name.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
This is what they said...

Saoradh “The Derry 1916 Commemoration Committee have opted to cancel this Easter Monday’s annual commemoration as a mark of respect for the tragic and accidental killing of Lyra McKee.”

I'm left to wonder if it had been a Protestant reporter shot dead instead of Lyra would they have called of their parade. I doubt it.
I think they would have canceled it if she were Protestant. The nationalist community is embarassed here.

The nationalist community knows all too well the about the pain caused by the killing of innocent professionals such as Catholic lawyers Rosemary Nelson and Pat Finucane, who were killed by loyalist terrorists (who were proud to be Protestants).

Old 04-21-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
I think they would have canceled it if she were Protestant. The nationalist community is embarassed here.

The nationalist community knows all too well the about the pain caused by the killing of innocent professionals such as Catholic lawyers Rosemary Nelson and Pat Finucane, who were killed by loyalist terrorists (who were proud to be Protestants).

Can't see that happening as they have killed Protestant women and children. Did Pat Finucane have IRA links. I know they have a mural to him.

Yes, and unionist community know only too well the pain caused by the killing of innocent professionals such as Protestant lawyer Edgar Graham

Last edited by Ulsterman; 04-21-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM

War is bloody murder but the percentage of civilians killed by the mainstream IRA is far exceeded by the loyalist terrorists.

Finucane was a solicitor who represented defendants charged with “terrorism” related crimes. Thst was his only crime. Since the British legal system prosecuted the wrong people so often, that is hardly a crime that justified a death sentence.

I suppose I sometimes make the same mistake (like in the time I wrote the last two paragraphs) that I often rail against myself, though perhaps not often enough on this board - NI often dwells too much on the past. There is a need to deal with some old prosecutions, but both sides need to spend more effort on the future, starting with integration of schools. Sure, make some time for religious instruction for all sides but get to know your neighbors on both sides of the walls from young age.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
War is bloody murder but the percentage of civilians killed by the mainstream IRA is far exceeded by the loyalist terrorists.

Finucane was a solicitor who represented defendants charged with “terrorism” related crimes. Thst was his only crime. Since the British legal system prosecuted the wrong people so often, that is hardly a crime that justified a death sentence.

I suppose I sometimes make the same mistake (like in the time I wrote the last two paragraphs) that I often rail against myself, though perhaps not often enough on this board - NI often dwells too much on the past. There is a need to deal with some old prosecutions, but both sides need to spend more effort on the future, starting with integration of schools. Sure, make some time for religious instruction for all sides but get to know your neighbors on both sides of the walls from young age.

Pat Finucane...Of course you'll probably dismiss this as lies and that Sean O'Callaghan is talking rubbish. That's to be expected.

I knew Pat Finucane reasonably well. I first met him in 1980 at a high-level IRA finance meeting in Letterkenny, Co Donegal. The meeting took place in a private room above a public house. Also present were Gerry Adams, the now-dead Tom Cahill, Pat Doherty (now the MP for West Tyrone) and several others.

Adams and Finucane arrived together in the morning and left at lunchtime. Did Finucane introduce himself as a member of the IRA? No. Did anyone present describe him as such? No. It was, however, exclusively an IRA meeting and quite clearly, without doubt, understood to be so by all present. That is the evidence of my own eyes and ears and I stand by it today as I did yesterday and as I will tomorrow.

He came to visit me several times in Crumlin Road prison in Belfast, where he spent much of his working life acting as a trusted conduit between the IRA prisoners and the leadership on the outside. Finucane wanted to represent me, but expressed no interest in my legal position. All he wanted to know was what I had told the police, and there is no doubt in my mind as an individual that he was acting as an IRA member and exploiting his own legal position for the benefit of that organisation.

Pat Finucane was first and foremost an IRA volunteer, and he exploited his position ruthlessly to wage his war on the state. In Crumlin Road, I once explained to him that I had admitted the attempted murder of a UVF member from Portadown and went into some detail.

When I finished he looked at me with contempt on his face: "And after all that, you missed him." Hardly what you would expect to hear from a peace-loving man who believed in the primacy of law. The last occasion I met him was in Crumlin Road about 27 hours before he was murdered: I was, in fact, the last prisoner he spoke to.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...n-the-IRA.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom