Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:58 AM

518 posts, read 872,471 times

Advertisements

With the history, language, and long-standing friendship between both countries; you'd think there would be some reciprocal agreement making it easier to immigrate? But I have heard of no such thing. I believe some sort of preference should be given. Do you agree?

As an American, I've heard it's quite difficult to move to the UK and the same can be said for Brits wanting to immigrate here. I think it should be easier for every-day folks, not just those with the few in-demands or loads of money. I for one, would strongly consider moving to the UK if it were an easier path. And it would be nice to see more Brits in this country- whom I'm sure would more seamlessly adapt versus your typical third world immigrant (whom the USA seems to prefer...)

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 12-20-2014 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Is the US part of the EU or Commonwealth? No, why should it be given preference?

Old 12-20-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Is the US part of the EU or Commonwealth? No, why should it be given preference?
As I said, the history, common language, and overall allegiance between the countries. The heritage of many Americans goes back to the UK. We are interconnected in many ways.

Allowing Brits to come over here more freely and vice versa seems reasonable (and perhaps beneficial). It would automatically diffuse a common gripe many Americans (and perhaps Brits as well) have about our current immigrants not speaking the language.

Furthermore, I think it could create a stronger bond between the countries.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Seems like both countries would get a lot of riff-raft that will contribute exactly nothing to either place.

It's the same reason there is no preferred treatment for Americans and Canadians to do such things.

And about speaking the same language gripes, there's an awful lot of those people in both countries as well, who are citizens.

Besides, once Brits start going in to Denny's for breakfast and order "bangers and mash", there will be no end to the "Those Brits need to speak our language or go home" threads, here on CD. :P

Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
Various corporations enable certain employees to transfer between the two Countries already.

That's how we got to live in the US.

Some of those who go over choose to apply for a Green Card somewhere down the line.

I'm not sure I'd want to see an open door situation like we have with the EU- wouldn't happen anyway.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
In some ways. American immigration policy is out of date and doesn't meet its economic needs. It should be easier for highly educated people and those will certain required skills to live here. However, no immigration system should support those who just feel like living in a warmer climate, or for some other personal reason. The OP should not just be able to move to the UK just because they want to, or because there is some "common history" which makes little sense.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 AM

The USA seems to give preference to the poor and desperate of the third world. I'm certainly not advocating for a free-for-all open door type situation to either country. That would be a disaster. But I thought, albeit incorrectly, that there was a 'relationship' between countries that made it easier to move about.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
In some ways. American immigration policy is out of date and doesn't meet its economic needs. It should be easier for highly educated people and those will certain required skills to live here. However, no immigration system should support those who just feel like living in a warmer climate, or for some other personal reason. The OP should not just be able to move to the UK just because they want to, or because there is some "common history" which makes little sense.
What economy? They are still stuck in the greatest depression since the 30's without any sign of improvement, half of their engineers and IT people are unemployed. Strict immigration rules are good, they keep the 'grass is greener' people away. Many Europeans are already struggling, do we really need potentially millions of desperate Americans over here too?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,583,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
With the history, language, and long-standing friendship between both countries; you'd think there would be some reciprocal agreement making it easier to immigrate? But I have heard of no such thing. I believe some sort of preference should be given. Do you agree?

As an American, I've heard it's quite difficult to move to the UK and the same can be said for Brits wanting to immigrate here. I think it should be easier for every-day folks, not just those with the few in-demands or loads of money. I for one, would strongly consider moving to the UK if it were an easier path. And it would be nice to see more Brits in this country- whom I'm sure would more seamlessly adapt versus your typical third world immigrant (whom the USA seems to prefer...)
Yea, if I was PM - I would get straight out of the EU and create a massive deal with all Anglo and Commonwealth countries so then we could form a great free trade deal, in which it would make the process easier for Anglo and Commonwealth peoples to immigrate from each country - however I don't want that free movement crap that is imposed by the communists over in Brussels! But just an easier process... This would improve the economy a lot in my opinion, as business people from London, New York City, Toronto, Mumbai, Sydney and right across the commonaglosphire (a word I made up Common for commonwealth, Anglo for Anglo) can easily move between cities to live and work! Maybe this group of nations should be called the CAU (Commonanglo Union) which only cares about a common market, and not a EU style rule imposing dictatorship which imposes total free movement!

How about that?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
What economy? They are still stuck in the greatest depression since the 30's without any sign of improvement, half of their engineers and IT people are unemployed. Strict immigration rules are good, they keep the 'grass is greener' people away. Many Europeans are already struggling, do we really need potentially millions of desperate Americans over here too?
Half the engineers? I hardly think of myself as the best engineer, and I turned down four other job offers during my job hunt a few months back. Maybe I am lucky, but with that many extra positions kicking about I have trouble believing half the folks out there are looking for work.

For me, I'd love to see it be easier for people from the first world English speaking nations(a bit discriminatory, but it does keep out folks moving simply to take advantage of a better social safety net) to move about. Say a 30 day pass issuable to an individual once every year or two that would allow the holder to look for employment and would automatically be transferred into a work visa if the holder finds a job.

Probably never happen though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom