Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,615,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Never denied 'Anglo' countries are linked to varying degrees - I just disagree that the UK is more similar to the US than it is to its near neighbours.

All of those shows - Europeans watch them. Americans usually make their own version because for some reason, European shows in their original format do not do well over there.
that's because Americans cant understand British humour and Brits cannot understand American Humour. in my experience American humour seems to revolve around toilets and bodily functions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Actually, I answered it already. I said that European-Americans who are not of English stock are nonetheless largely Anglicized (English speaking), and of related European stock anyway. We're talking about overall likeness here, so it's not accurate at all to treat all non-English people as equally distant from the English. The English are a European people, thus more related to fellow Europeans than non-Europeans.
Yes but Europeans are not a homogenous group and many different European ethnic groups have influenced the British-American culture. Italians seem to have heavily influenced American cuisine as have African-Americans and Mexicans.

I would say the NE (AKA New England) is very similar to the UK most certainly but outside that region similarities diminish.

You said Miami is not like the USA? What is that suppose to mean? YOU may feel attached to the UK but I bet the vast majority of Americans don't. What has Missourian, Georgian or Southern California got in common with a Brit living in Romford or Buxton? Seriously once you ask more precise questions you will see...

Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
You are looking at it from a very superficial point of view, I infer for some reason that you have never been to America or perhaps your interaction with American culture has been very brief and superficial!

i would like to point out to you that American TV is vastly broadcasted throughout the planet, no nation on earth regardless of language "except for North Korea" can say that they do not have American TV shows getting broadcasted on their national media!

Allow me to repeat myself by telling you that I have lived in America for nine years now and I can assure you that BBC America is not exactly known, most Americans watch their own TV (CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC) and they have their own CNN-Asia, ABC-Latin America, CBS-Canada etc. That does not mean much, other than just big corporations trying to expand their business.

Americans built the memorial at Runnymede, but they have also built memorials everywhere on this planet, they are influential worldwide, not just in Britain.

The USA is a world power, they have special relationships with Mexico (Due to immigration and biggest trade partner), Canada (It's largest border and important trade partner), China (Its rival in Asia), South Korea (its ally in the Korean peninsula), Japan (its ally in Asia), Russia (its rival), France (The country that gave them the Statue of liberty and that helped them gain independence), Cuba (the rebel island to the south of Florida).

The UK is in no way more important to them that any country with strategic importance on this globe.
I totally agree with you. Unless you have spent time here its hard to understand that just because "Top Gear" is on TV doesn't mean that it is part of culture here. It's totally different in the UK where everyone reads and watches pretty much the same thing. There a million other shows, and/or things that influence culture and perspective.

But like I said before, it's hard to understand how different it is here than the UK unless you have spent time living here.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:55 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,450,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes but Europeans are not a homogenous group and many different European ethnic groups have influenced the British-American culture.
The influence is pretty overstated.

Quote:
I would say the NE (AKA New England) is very similar to the UK most certainly but outside that region similarities diminish.
Northern New England, the South, and parts of the West have the most British ancestry.

Quote:
You said Miami is not like the USA? What is that suppose to mean?
For one, Miami is very Spanish-speaking. According to Wikipedia, 2/3rds of all Miami residents speak Spanish at home. (Compared to English, which is spoken at home by only 1/4th of the population).

Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The influence is pretty overstated.
How is it? Pizza is an integral part of American cuisine. Alongside Hotdogs, Pretzels and Grits. The first two are not British in origin btw and certainly not Grits whatever that is.

Quote:
Northern New England, the South, and parts of the West have the most British ancestry.
Your point is?

''The south'' doesn't make me think England...

Quote:
For one, Miami is very Spanish-speaking. According to Wikipedia, 2/3rds of all Miami residents speak Spanish at home. (Compared to English, which is spoken at home by only 1/4th of the population).
So? Does that make Miami less American?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:15 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,450,173 times
Quote:
How is it? Pizza is an integral part of American cuisine.
And now it's popular around the world due to American influence.

Quote:
Alongside Hotdogs, Pretzels and Grits. The first two are not British in origin btw and certainly not Grits whatever that is.
Cuisine is a more significant difference between the UK and USA, though I hardly think it's of particularly great importance. Continental European countries have their own cuisine, after all.

Quote:
So? Does that make Miami less American?
Irrelevant. The point I made is, as far as the US goes, Miami is an outlier.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
And now it's popular around the world due to American influence.

Cuisine is a more significant difference between the UK and USA, though I hardly think it's of particularly great importance. Continental European countries have their own cuisine, after all.

Irrelevant. The point I made is, as far as the US goes, Miami is an outlier.
What about Seattle, Los Angeles, New Orleans or St Louis? Those places have very little in common with the UK so by your logic they are ''outliers'' too, right?

Cuisine is a part of culture Dutch Cuisine is much more similar to British cuisine than American cuisine is to British cuisine. Of course if you nit-pick (like what you do all the time) American cuisine is exactly the same.

To all you people who say the USA and UK share a great deal in common please stop ignoring Hawaii, California, Oregon, Texas, Montano etc Its not fair they count too.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,110,131 times
Europe is not Germanic, Old English has closer links to old Norse .Look how similar old English, Norse, Celtic crosses are. England only had its name from an Angle called Bede. He even put Anglo before Saxon. The whole concept of Anglo Saxon is FAKE.Records have it of Alfred of fighting for a British ideal, not English. Recent DNA tests prove hardly any Germanic blood in the English. Yes, the English ( though we are not Engle-Saxon) are Eurpoean.Our DNA is linked to Iberia. Please don't start making out the Germans= Europe and the ideals of Europe, I think they should have paid back our Lend-Lease to the Americans up to the 60`s for starting the war. I personally like America but love Italy, France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium and Scandanavia.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:35 PM

You have misunderstood me.

But I don't care to explain I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom