Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 12:36 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,461,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What about Seattle, Los Angeles, New Orleans or St Louis? Those places have very little in common with the UK so by your logic they are ''outliers'' too, right?
You think Seattle has very little in common with the UK?

The rest of the cities you mentioned have a European-American minority, unlike the US as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
To all you people who say the USA and UK share a great deal in common please stop ignoring Hawaii, California, Oregon, Texas, Montano etc Its not fair they count too.
You're just rattling off names (and non-names) of states without much forethought. Oregon? See my comment about Seattle above. Texas? Much of Texas would be considered part of the South, which is traditionally of primarily British stock. Montana? Montana is about 90% European American. Refer to my earlier comments. Oregon is also around 80% European American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Europe is not Germanic, Old English has closer links to old Norse .Look how similar old English, Norse, Celtic crosses are. England only had its name from an Angle called Bede. He even put Anglo before Saxon. The whole concept of Anglo Saxon is FAKE.Records have it of Alfred of fighting for a British ideal, not English. Recent DNA tests prove hardly any Germanic blood in the English. Yes, the English ( though we are not Engle-Saxon) are Eurpoean.Our DNA is linked to Iberia. Please don't start making out the Germans= Europe and the ideals of Europe, I think they should have paid back our Lend-Lease to the Americans up to the 60`s for starting the war. I personally like America but love Italy, France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium and Scandanavia.
Old Norse was a Germanic language as well. Germanic is a linguistic term. English is a Germanic language, thus England is part of Germanic Europe. Likewise, the USA is part of Germanic America. (Just like Spain is part of Latin Europe, and Argentina is part of Latin America.) All the Germanic peoples speak Germanic languages because they intermarried with Indo-Europeans and passed on Indo-European languages. Germanic is a branch of Indo-European. By the way, I believe you're mistaken about England not being Germanic (that is, in this case, highly related to the Anglo Saxons). Of course, the British are a blend of Anglo Saxon, Celtic, and the native peoples of the British Isles. But the Anglo Saxon part is significant. How else do you explain the fact that English is a Germanic language? But that's entirely off-topic, so I won't go into it.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM

120 posts, read 138,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You think Seattle has very little in common with the UK?

The rest of the cities you mentioned have a European-American minority, unlike the US as a whole.

You're just rattling off names (and non-names) of states without much forethought. Oregon? See my comment about Seattle above. Texas? Much of Texas would be considered part of the South, which is traditionally of primarily British stock. Montana? Montana is about 90% European American. Refer to my earlier comments. Oregon is also around 80% European American.
You seem to be under the impression that white-american is interchangeable with British or with any European for that matter.

Europe is not a homogeneous block of countries with undistinguishable features, the diversity of Europe is not based on skin color, Europe is extremely diverse in history, religion, culture, far more than any kind of diversity you could possibly have in America.

Texas is the least British place I have experienced in my life, La Costa Brava of Spain is much more British than anywhere in Texas, and they don't even speak English in Spain.

The culture is complete opposite, the food, the architecture, the way of life, the religion, the lay out of the cities, the demographics. There is hardly anything British in Texas!

White Americans in my opinion have more in common with black Americans, Canadians and even Mexicans, than with any European, and I don't mean this is a bad thing but I rarely find a common ground here in the states when I deal with Americans of any colour, to me most Americans feel foreign as if I was in Britain dealing with Italians, or South Africans or Brazilians.

Last edited by anthony69; 04-19-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 12:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,111,925 times
I agree, this is heavy going.I was responding to SNJ 90 who said The English= Germany/Germanic- ER... they don't. Therefore the English language is Germanic !! er... sorry its not, its mainly Old Norse, Possibly Danish, Brythonic, Latin, French, nothing to do with Germany. Come on.. we don't try and win the world cup by association.
If Germany wants to flex its new muscles stop trying to own America,( by ethnicity|) Europe ect: and just act a with bit more humility and send some boats to the Med

Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I agree, this is heavy going.I was responding to SNJ 90 who said The English= Germany/Germanic- ER... they don't. Therefore the English language is Germanic !! er... sorry its not, its mainly Old Norse, Possibly Danish, Brythonic, Latin, French, nothing to do with Germany. Come on.. we don't try and win the world cup by association.
If Germany wants to flex its new muscles stop trying to own America,( by ethnicity|) Europe ect: and just act a with bit more humility and send some boats to the Med
LOL. The English language is undeniably Germanic. Its acquisition of Latin and Greek vocabulary is a relatively recent development. Sure, it was influenced a bit by Old Norse (which is a Germanic language anyway), but it's not a North Germanic language. English is a West Germanic language.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony69 View Post
There is hardly anything British in Texas!
Many of the counties in East Texas report "American" (i.e., primarily a blend of English, Scottish, Welsh, and Ulster Scots ancestry) as their most predominant ancestry.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 PM

120 posts, read 138,264 times
Ancestry is irrelevant, what is relevant in a person's life is the present and that is defined by the place on where your life evolves.

If ancestry was truly relevant then we would all be Africans! Proof of this is the many Americans that go on about being African because they are black, but when you look further into their ethnic claims, you realize that most cannot even show you where Africa is on a map, many even think Africa is a country.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:04 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,111,925 times
Please don't bother. Old Norse is Scandanavian. Germanic might be aterm for a broad swathe of Northern Europe but Germany didn't exist until recently.( I feel sorry for Bavaria, personally). Would you call Denmark, Holland or Norway ..German. No you wouldnt. Scandanavian ( including the Dutch), Celtic ( including Bretons and Belgai tribes), er.. French and Belgium not to mention the Brythonics ( 80%) of current Britain ( 73%) of Eastern/Southern England are the countries DNA. We have no link to Hamburg, or Berlin.
English is a mixture of Latin, Norse, Brythonic and part Angle. ( Not Germanic).
Just accept, yes, you are closer to the Tuetonic American College football mentality of domination and superiority. ( Sounds familiar?) but nothing in common with scruffy, untidy Brits. We are more akin to Irish, Dutch, French, Spanish. Believe me

Old 04-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Please don't bother. Old Norse is Scandanavian. Germanic might be aterm for a broad swathe of Northern Europe but Germany didn't exist until recently.( I feel sorry for Bavaria, personally).
Old Norse is a Germanic language. Germanic does not mean the same thing as Germany...

Quote:
Would you call Denmark, Holland or Norway ..German.
They are Germanic nations.

Quote:
Scandanavian ( including the Dutch)
The Dutch are not Scandinavians.

Quote:
English is a mixture of Latin, Norse, Brythonic and part Angle. ( Not Germanic).
Again, Norse is Germanic. Old English is undeniably Germanic. Modern English is undeniably Germanic. You cannot speak English without using loads of words that come from Proto-Germanic!

Quote:
Just accept, yes, you are closer to the Tuetonic American College football mentality of domination and superiority. ( Sounds familiar?) but nothing in common with scruffy, untidy Brits. We are more akin to Irish, Dutch, French, Spanish. Believe me
ROFL!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,870,848 times
Traditional American music:

https://youtu.be/7LPHhNGTNPE?t=57m53s

Traditional British music:

https://youtu.be/rn_rznQkJjY?t=23m57s

They are 50x more similar than to salsa or clog dancing. Why? Probably because American culture mostly comes from the British. Texan country music sounds like British folk music, not much at all like Spanish salsa or Italian traditional music.

Quote:
Please don't bother. Old Norse is Scandanavian. Germanic might be aterm for a broad swathe of Northern Europe but Germany didn't exist until recently.( I feel sorry for Bavaria, personally). Would you call Denmark, Holland or Norway ..German. No you wouldnt. Scandanavian ( including the Dutch), Celtic ( including Bretons and Belgai tribes), er.. French and Belgium not to mention the Brythonics ( 80%) of current Britain ( 73%) of Eastern/Southern England are the countries DNA. We have no link to Hamburg, or Berlin.
English is a Germanic language and the Anglo-Saxons came from Denmark and Northern Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom