Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:31 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,472,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I don't think there's any comparison with Gordon Brown.
Jeremy Corbyn has never liked the EU, makes no secret of it and is only supporting 'remain' because weighing it all up he believes there is a better chance of changing the EU from within as things stand now. We should never forget that there is no 'good' option here. There are serious shortcomings whichever way we go.
That's a perfectly honest approach. Frankly, and bearing in mind we unceasingly complain about our lying politicians, if you you looking for a more honest politician than Jeremy Corbyn then you will have to wait a very, very long time.
Oh, I agree he is a genuine man. But the media, and the Conservatives will make sure he has no chance of being PM.

If there had been a set up in 1945 like we have today, Clement Attlee would never have become PM. The people would have been told he would ruin the country, and the National Health Service would never have got off the ground under Winston Churchill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,098,502 times
Quote:
I don't think he's a damp squib. I think he's thoughtful, and considers what he says carefully. No bull****.
[SIZE=2] I think you'll go a long way to find a more committed & honest politician. If we are going to slate someone like him (and plenty do) it must say a lot more about us than it does about him.[/SIZE]
Well, I still think he is and so does his own party, it seems.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 PM

703 posts, read 448,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Well, I still think he is and so does his own party, it seems.
No, his party doesn't like him but the supporters on the ground do. I wonder why that is?
Maybe it's because the Labour Party, ever since the days of Blair, has progressively lost touch with the people it's meant to represent. In fact, turned into a watered down clone of the Tory party so as to capture that elusive 'centre ground'.
Nevertheless that is the road they have taken, and they are discovering that abandoned principles have consequences. Jeremy Corbyn appears to be a misfit in the party precisely because he has not abandoned those principles.
I'm sure they will get rid of him, but frankly he's too good for them.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:42 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,098,502 times
Quote:
No, his party doesn't like him but the supporters on the ground do. I wonder why that is?
Maybe it's because the Labour Party, ever since the days of Blair, has progressively lost touch with the people it's meant to represent. In fact, turned into a watered down clone of the Tory party so as to capture that elusive 'centre ground'.
Nevertheless that is the road they have taken, and they are discovering that abandoned principles have consequences. Jeremy Corbyn appears to be a misfit in the party precisely because he has not abandoned those principles.
I'm sure they will get rid of him, but frankly he's too good for them.
If he was THAT good, then he would have been able to lead the Remain campaign into victory. But that hasn't happened...

Also, he has abandoned his principles because he didn't even want to join the Common Market back in 1975.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM

He hasn't changed his principles, he's changed his mind over the EU.
No one is saying he's perfect, least of all him I imagine, but there is a general consensus that he is a man of principle who believes in the core values of fairness & justice in our our so called democracy, and pursues these values in a quiet, dignified and non confrontational manner.
There aren't a great many people in government who stand genuinely for the working man. He does. Too many in his own party don't, and I have no doubt one of those will soon replace him.
Why don't we just give the man some credit.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,395,814 times
Corbyn's main flaw as a leader is that he can't communicate with the under-30s in Britain (or even the under-40s). This demographic was strongly in favour of Remain (by around 75% in that age bracket). He speaks for a different generation, with a different mindset and history--one that remembers the coal miners' strikes firsthand. Ancient history to the Gen X and Millennials. And this thoughtling is coming from a rank outsider, yes I acknowledge that fact.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,717,991 times
Corbyn can't communicate with his own MP's let alone the under 30's. The guy has the personality of a plank, and as long as he remains leader of the Labour party they will remain in the political wilderness.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Corbyn can't communicate with his own MP's let alone the under 30's. The guy has the personality of a plank, and as long as he remains leader of the Labour Party they will remain in the political wilderness.
I think the program I referred to when I started this thread rather confirms that he communicates extremely well with young people.
This articulates better than I can:-

Who's backing Jeremy Corbyn? The young

The Labour Party has been in the wilderness for years and if the attitude doesn't change they will remain there - part of the establishment and at odds with the people they supposedly stand for.
The proof of that is the fact that Jeremy was voted leader. Why wasn't it Yvette Cooper, Andy Burnham or Liz Kendall ?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom