Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,954,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I'm watching the C4 debate on channel 4 + 1 right now. We watched Mission Possible 4 earlier, so I missed the beginning at 8pm.

Our votes were sent last week in the post. I guess y'all know where my vote went........

I heard today there won't be a predicted result when the Polls close tomorrow night. I guess that means we'll just have to watch the results come in.

The bookies seem convinced the remain camp will win. They're not often wrong, but I don't know why they're so sure. It all seems pretty close to me. We will know Friday morning I guess, one way or the other.
Bookies base their odds on weight of bets placed. I heard that there were some very big bets on Remain coming in from the City.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:32 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,449,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Bookies base their odds on weight of bets placed. I heard that there were some very big bets on Remain coming in from the City.
Ah, I see Jaggy. I didn't know that.......... shows you what I know about bookmakers......... I thought it was based on some kind of inside information only known to bookies!!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,077,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
Probably because i'm jetlagged.

I'm going to vote in the afternoon.
Oh yes - you're still on American time.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:54 PM

Right, time for bed for David....... I've got a big day tomorrow. I've got to get a wash load done, and hung out on the line before my wife and her mother get up to go shopping!

I have to go along as minder for my wife's elderly mother........

Please everybody eligible go out and vote. This is a very important day, and whichever way it goes, I just want to see a high turnout. Nighty night.........

Old 06-22-2016, 04:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,570,290 times
Good luck guys

I feel like Brexit will prevail.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,746,313 times
I wonder how all the chavs will vote... maybe they will break down the voter demographics

Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,999,483 times
An American here hoping to see Brexit win the day. I always thought the EU was a mistake in the first place, and it would be nice to see it dissolve, one country at a time if necessary. Unfortunately, voters usually vote just the opposite of how I think they should, including in my own country, so odds are 'remain' will win.

Regardless whether in or out wins, this is HUGE. Remain wins, great for corporations, out wins, great for the citizens. In my humble opinion, of course.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,381,209 times
My prediction will be a win for the Brexit side. Personally, I think Remain is the better option. I believe the majority sentiment is for leaving the EU, though. I've heard and read much criticism of the EU for years, and very little enthusiasm for it.

I'm very skeptical about the opinion surveys in recent days and weeks. For one thing, Brits have an odd tendency to mislead the people doing the surveys (intentional or not?).... I think many people seriously haven't made a final decision on how they're going to vote, so they say they support "Remain" as a default. Once they get into the poll stations though, I think a majority will vote Leave.

Too bad. It will then be the UK fighting on its own, for its solitary interests, against competing regional blocs in the global economy. U.S.-Canada-Mexico has NAFTA, the continent of Europe has the remaining EU, South America is negotiating its own free trade zone, then there's the Pacific Rim... the UK can't compete on its own against all that. The world just isn't the same place it was 30 or 50 years ago.

London will be gutted of all the rich Russians, U.S. corporate adventurers, and global branch offices. They aren't in London because they want access to consumers in Dorset or Cambria or Birmingham. The international players are in London because it's been a de facto English-language business capital for the EU. If the UK leaves the EU, those branch offices will decamp for Paris or Berlin.

Not anyone else's problem, however... it'll be the UK's problem to deal with all by their lonesome.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder how all the chavs will vote... maybe they will break down the voter demographics
My concern is if the people of England vote out by majority, but the Scots, Welsh, or Irish vote by majority in. If their votes are enough to swing it against the wishes of the majority in England.

I haven't forgotten the tone of the vote in Scotland last year for independence, or the way many Scots feel about the English. I have always puzzled at the depth of bad feeling many Scots have for England, and the English.

We used to just laugh about it, because this bad feeling wasn't returned by us. But, with something as important as this vote, the majority in England being thwarted by people who make no bones about their dislike, and in many cases wanting independence from us, won't go down well.

I just hope for a decent majority either way, so this resentment won't take root. If a majority of the English vote for remain, that'll be good enough for me, and I will just forget about the result, and get on with my life. If it's remain only because of other countries in the UK, then folks in England are going to be angry about it. The seeds of English independence were sown by the vote last year in Scotland, and those will continue to grow.

If the vote is out, and Scotland voted by majority to remain, the leadership in Scotland will want another independence vote. Last time, I was relieved the Scots voted to remain. With another vote I would wish the Scots to go. We English are getting pretty fed up of other folks within the Union not liking us.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,290,005 times
Mod Note:

Thread is a temporary sticky for the next few days while the results shake out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom