Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 10:27 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,996,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I wonder if our American friends on here might pass on to their President our thanks for his intervention in the EU referendum.
If there's one thing British people don't like is being told what to do by foreigners.
Particularly Germans,French and American.
I suspect the people of those countries don't like being told what to do by foreigners as well.
Should have done what a lot of people here do, mute the tv or change the channel when Barry's speaking. When he made his comments while visiting England I didn't think his opinions would carry much weight with most people there.

You're correct, we don't like being told what to do by foreigners either, like we were in 2004 regarding who to vote for. When Bush was re-elected one of the headlines in a British newspaper asked how so many people could be so dumb. And he was running against John Kerry. Also saw man on the street type of interviews where some Brits gave their not so kind opinions on the U.S. and our government's actions back then. I took it with a grain of salt as I knew the news network would pick out the strongest opinions to edit into it's piece.

The British have been our strongest ally for a very long time, so I take special interest in what happens there. Not to mention about half of my ancestors came from England, along with some Scottish (not sure how many) and one Irish ancestor.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Should have done what a lot of people here do, mute the tv or change the channel when Barry's speaking. When he made his comments while visiting England I didn't think his opinions would carry much weight with most people there.

You're correct, we don't like being told what to do by foreigners either, like we were in 2004 regarding who to vote for. When Bush was re-elected one of the headlines in a British newspaper asked how so many people could be so dumb. And he was running against John Kerry. Also saw man on the street type of interviews where some Brits gave their not so kind opinions on the U.S. and our government's actions back then. I took it with a grain of salt as I knew the news network would pick out the strongest opinions to edit into it's piece.

The British have been our strongest ally for a very long time, so I take special interest in what happens there. Not to mention about half of my ancestors came from England, along with some Scottish (not sure how many) and one Irish ancestor.
Today, a few Scottish politicians felt the urge to tell Americans not to vote for Trump and to otherwise voice their opinions.

Donald Trump flies in to protests and a snub from Scotland's political leaders

Not that Americans care one way or the other about Scottish politicians and their opinions of Trump - or Hillary - or anything else now that I think of it, but still...obviously the urge to meddle is not confined to US presidents.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:38 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,759,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post

I've kept quiet so far about Americans on here bashing Obama. His remark was uncalled for but other than that he's tried to help ordinary people. UNlike the Bush dynasty who were and ARE for the rich.

I, too, come from English people--on both sides. My aunts and uncles came from the north of England. The north is treated like some forgotten, out of mind, distant land. I root for the north who are often the underdogs and I root for the underdogs over here too. If the British thought we were dumb to have voted for Bush, they were RIGHT. I wish the British could vote in our upcoming Presidential election!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,657,684 times
Trump cancelled his plans to visit his currently underdevelopment golf course in Ireland this weekend. Protests were planned.

Joe Biden is currently on a six day visit to Ireland. Perhaps he didn't want the contrast.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Today, a few Scottish politicians felt the urge to tell Americans not to vote for Trump and to otherwise voice their opinions.

Donald Trump flies in to protests and a snub from Scotland's political leaders

Not that Americans care one way or the other about Scottish politicians and their opinions of Trump - or Hillary - or anything else now that I think of it, but still...obviously the urge to meddle is not confined to US presidents.
Most of the comments from citizens of other countries I take with a sense of humor. Have to the love the passion that people care enough to have opinions on our elections, I guess. In 2004 things were so contentious both here and overseas due to Bush' decision to invade Iraq that it got tiresome and aggravating, some of it at least.

And of course Trump is another animal altogether, very polarizing. Will have to hold my nose and vote for him to keep Clinton out of the WH, in part to prevent her from adding justices to the Supreme Court.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've kept quiet so far about Americans on here bashing Obama. His remark was uncalled for but other than that he's tried to help ordinary people. UNlike the Bush dynasty who were and ARE for the rich.

I, too, come from English people--on both sides. My aunts and uncles came from the north of England. The north is treated like some forgotten, out of mind, distant land. I root for the north who are often the underdogs and I root for the underdogs over here too. If the British thought we were dumb to have voted for Bush, they were RIGHT. I wish the British could vote in our upcoming Presidential election!

First, let me say I didn't like either Bush as President. Arrogant and elitist, but my candidates always ended up falling by the wayside during the primaries, so in 2000 the choice was Gore or Bush. I didn't vote because I had just moved back to the U.S. and had mistakenly been told I couldn't vote. Would have voted for Bush. He seemed the more reasonable of the two at the time. And I think over time Gore has shown he wasn't worthy of the office either. Two bad choices. And in 2004 Kerry was a terrible choice. Couldn't vote for him, and thought continuity was best until most of the troops were able to be brought home from Iraq.

As for Obama, sorry but I believe he's the worst President in our country's history. Others don't, that's fine. We are all entitled to our own opinions. If we were in the political forum I'd go into it more, but that wouldn't be fair to others on this forum.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:35 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,038,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

I wonder if our American friends on here might pass on to their President our thanks for his intervention in the EU referendum.
If there's one thing British people don't like is being told what to do by foreigners.
Particularly Germans,French and American.
I suspect the people of those countries don't like being told what to do by foreigners as well.
That's true. Americans don't particularly like being told what to do by that particular temporary occupant of the White House, either. We can certainly understand where citizens of other nations might find his prescriptions distasteful.

And, fortunately for the "Leave" faction, Barry's "reverse Midas touch" (where everything he touches turns to raw sewage) worked like the proverbial charm. After all..., just as with his successful effort to persuade the UK to stay in the EU, the City of Chicago will be basking in the international limelight because of the 2016 Olympics, all made possible by the magnificent persuasive powers of B. Hussein Obama.

Oh, wait. That's right. That didn't happen, either.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,948 times
Gutted, absolutely gutted. Just hope the Leave lot come up with a plan quickly on where to go from here.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:43 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,444,875 times
I just heard on the telly, the 18 - 24 year old voters had the lowest turnout. I did say days ago, I wondered if the young would take the time to look up from their phones to vote. Apparently they didn't........ Just as long as the young don't gripe. "the old people have taken us out of the EU. It's so unfair!" All I say is, if you don't vote, then don't moan about the result.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:54 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,074,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I just heard on the telly, the 18 - 24 year old voters had the lowest turnout. I did say days ago, I wondered if the young would take the time to look up from their phones to vote. Apparently they didn't........ Just as long as the young don't gripe. "the old people have taken us out of the EU. It's so unfair!" All I say is, if you don't vote, then don't moan about the result.
But a lot of younger people were Remain, so we should be grateful that they didn't actually vote this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.