Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:35 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Immigration is making things far worse. It's causing massive strains. Too many, too quickly. This island's coastline is not made of elastic.
nor is the NHS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I love America and will be splitting my time between there and Spain for most of this year but although we are very close ideologically on a trade basis it just isn’t going to replace Europe on the doorstep.
That's up to Europe. They want to damage us as a warning to others. This goes without saying, and was always going to happen.

Maybe after a few years, we can start rebuilding a trade relationship. There is potential for massive job losses from the EU's determination to make an example of us. The job losses won't just be in the UK.

The EU obviously feel they have no choice. We have to prepare ourselves as best we can. There is no going back. Your dreams of us remaining in the EU are just that - dreams.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Being from America, I can tell you that Trump puts a capital C on Corruption. Trust him at your own peril.
There will be life after Trump. We all know what a sociopath he is. Hopefully, he won't win in 2020, but I fear he will. If so, we will have to deal with him as best we can.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times
Quote:
These are the ties that bind us. The UK and America remain close. To me, this is a far more important relationship than with the EU.
There is the concept of one country partnering with another. For example, France and Germany as partners in the European Union. (For Germany there is the alternative concept of partnering with the Russians).

Which brings up a question-who will partner with the UK?

Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
There is the concept of one country partnering with another. For example, France and Germany as partners in the European Union. (For Germany there is the alternative concept of partnering with the Russians).

Which brings up a question-who will partner with the UK.
It all depends. It sure won't be the back stabbing French. There are strains within the EU. Italy isn't happy at all. Smaller countries like Greece are in financial ruins. Poland is rumbling, and we have a long standing relationship with Poland that stretches back long before the EU.

We'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. All that matters for now, is getting out of the EU.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:47 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
It all depends. It sure won't be the back stabbing French. There are strains within the EU. Italy isn't happy at all. Smaller countries like Greece are in financial ruins. Poland is rumbling, and we have a long standing relationship with Poland that stretches back long before the EU.

We'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. All that matters for now, is getting out of the EU.
So your main argument for Brexit is population control?

Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,620 times
Quote:
That's up to Europe. They want to damage us as a warning to others. This goes without saying, and was always going to happen.

Maybe after a few years, we can start rebuilding a trade relationship. There is potential for massive job losses from the EU's determination to make an example of us. The job losses won't just be in the UK.

The EU obviously feel they have no choice. We have to prepare ourselves as best we can. There is no going back. Your dreams of us remaining in the EU are just that - dreams.
They aren’t punishing you at all, like someone posted earlier there are loads of options to leave with a deal but the UK government won’t take one preferring to try and get a deal that can’t be given, you can’t have the best bits of the EU whilst ignoring the responsibilities the other member states are having to adhere to.

They also don’t want you to leave in the first place so aren’t going to facilitate Brexit when they can see that the country’s so split and staying is a possibility.

I’m not dreaming at all, you know I’ve been saying it won’t happen since the morning after the daft vote back in 2016 and nothing’s changed, it can’t go ahead, it’s just too daft a thing to happen.

The worlds population is growing, but the worlds getting smaller, in a hundred years or so we’ll all have one currency around the world and be run by a governing body, technology is moving things so fast now, there’s no turning back to tribalism, Trump and you I’m afraid David are throwbacks to a different age, I mean that in the best possible way though xx

Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
So your main argument for Brexit is population control?
Yes. If the EU had offered a temporary end to right of movement, while we took a breath to deal with those already here, I believe the 2016 vote would have gone to remain.

David Cameron went there, and they gave him nothing. He then came back, and gave us the promised vote on the EU. His government set out to frighten us to death, and vote remain. We had threats from his Chancellor about an immediate austerity budget, and a recession to follow. They even managed to get President Obama to tell us we would go to the back of the queue for a trade deal.

The EU issued their threats, and the international bankers also. Cameron then gave a vote to every man and his dog. Even Irish citizens living in England, when their government strongly advised them to vote remain. British people living abroad were given a vote, when almost all would vote in their own interest for remain.

Cameron thought it was in the bag. So did his smug Chancellor. Well, they were both unemployed within days of the vote. The British, especially the English, came out in massive numbers to vote, and we voted to leave.

That's what we voted for, and that's what we want.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:03 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Yes. If the EU had offered a temporary end to right of movement, while we took a breath to deal with those already here, I believe the 2016 vote would have gone to remain.

David Cameron went there, and they gave him nothing. He then came back, and gave us the promised vote on the EU. His government set out to frighten us to death, and vote remain. We had threats from his Chancellor about an immediate austerity budget, and a recession to follow. They even managed to get President Obama to tell us we would go to the back of the queue for a trade deal.

The EU issued their threats, and the international bankers also. Cameron then gave a vote to every man and his dog. Even Irish citizens living in England, when their government strongly advised them to vote remain. British people living abroad were given a vote, when almost all would vote in their own interest for remain.

Cameron thought it was in the bag. So did his smug Chancellor. Well, they were both unemployed within days of the vote. The British, especially the English, came out in massive numbers to vote, and we voted to leave.

That's what we voted for, and that's what we want.
So if you Brexit how much will the population decline?

Old 02-25-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
They aren’t punishing you at all, like someone posted earlier there are loads of options to leave with a deal but the UK government won’t take one preferring to try and get a deal that can’t be given, you can’t have the best bits of the EU whilst ignoring the responsibilities the other member states are having to adhere to.

They also don’t want you to leave in the first place so aren’t going to facilitate Brexit when they can see that the country’s so split and staying is a possibility.

I’m not dreaming at all, you know I’ve been saying it won’t happen since the morning after the daft vote back in 2016 and nothing’s changed, it can’t go ahead, it’s just too daft a thing to happen.

The worlds population is growing, but the worlds getting smaller, in a hundred years or so we’ll all have one currency around the world and be run by a governing body, technology is moving things so fast now, there’s no turning back to tribalism, Trump and you I’m afraid David are throwbacks to a different age, I mean that in the best possible way though xx
The deal is a deliberately poisoned chalice. The backstop will be implemented. It is a trap laid by the EU to keep us within their control. It will never get through Parliament. All we want, is to leave the EU, and trade with them, for mutual benefit. But, they need to make an example of us, as a warning to anyone else thinking of leaving. If we do well outside the EU, they know their corrupt little club is doomed. We are willing to trade using WTO rules. The EU trades with many nations using this method. But, not apparently any chance of doing that with us. OK then......... we'll have to find a way forward as best we can. We won't be the only ones damaged by the EU's arrogance.

You are right, they despise us, but want us to stay. They want our money, and really need it. If we don't cough up, someone else has to. But, they have revealed their dislike for us this last two years. We have to leave, there is no other choice.There are plenty of throwbacks on this island, not just me. 17 million of them at the last count.

Nothing against Europe itself, but their leaders make me want to puke. I am very fond of Spain, and will be there in a weeks time. Can't beat the tapas and wine.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom