Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 PM

1,129 posts, read 470,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I give the UK a 50% chance it does not live in the EU.
I like your optimism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 12:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,438,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
More news coming in, Theresa May to rule out no deal Brexit https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-Brexit.html

That’s her done then, next stop her meaningful vote which gives the green light for remainers to throw out her deal knowing that a no deal Brexit will no longer go ahead.

God, I hope it’s not postponed for a couple of years, a second referendum is the only way to end this misery.
Good morning britinspain........ I am refreshed, and ready for the start of another day....... Where was I? Oh yes, you still grasping at straws........ The majority within Parliament do not want a no deal scenario. We all know that. They are fully paid up members of the remain club, and have been so from day one of the 2016 vote.

They never accepted the result of the vote. Doesn't matter what the people voted for, they know best. The problem is, the people have always been suspicious of the EU, and their behaviour towards us this last two years, has proven our suspicions are correct. They just don't like us. The French especially struggle to disguise their contempt.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. I would never say it's impossible for us to remain in the EU against the will of the 2016 voters. Nothing would surprise me. But, politicians go against the will of the people at their peril.

If we were forced to remain, an anti EU party would grow again. Maybe led by the charismatic Nigel Farage. Boy, he terrifies lesser politicians. The vote can't be ignored, and politicians know this. It is an absolute mess, but this has been coming for decades. The result of the vote showed just how fed up of the EU millions of Britons are. Just sick to the back teeth of it.

We are now approaching Brexit day. It is causing panic, and desperation in remainers. They will do anything to block Brexit. True anti democratic colours are being revealed. Can Trixie hang on, and take us over the line? Stay tuned......

Old 02-26-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Good morning britinspain........ I am refreshed, and ready for the start of another day....... Where was I? Oh yes, you still grasping at straws........ The majority within Parliament do not want a no deal scenario. We all know that. They are fully paid up members of the remain club, and have been so from day one of the 2016 vote.

They never accepted the result of the vote. Doesn't matter what the people voted for, they know best. The problem is, the people have always been suspicious of the EU, and their behaviour towards us this last two years, has proven our suspicions are correct. They just don't like us. The French especially struggle to disguise their contempt.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. I would never say it's impossible for us to remain in the EU against the will of the 2016 voters. Nothing would surprise me. But, politicians go against the will of the people at their peril.

If we were forced to remain, an anti EU party would grow again. Maybe led by the charismatic Nigel Farage. Boy, he terrifies lesser politicians. The vote can't be ignored, and politicians know this. It is an absolute mess, but this has been coming for decades. The result of the vote showed just how fed up of the EU millions of Britons are. Just sick to the back teeth of it.

We are now approaching Brexit day. It is causing panic, and desperation in remainers. They will do anything to block Brexit. True anti democratic colours are being revealed. Can Trixie hang on, and take us over the line? Stay tuned......
Morning, glad you slept well, you appear to have missed a few comments but that seems par for the course on this thread.

I actually pointed out your position is very much understood at least by myself and you have every right to be angry at the negative impact of so many migrants in your area.

I also pointed out that Brexit is a great way of unleashing many people’s frustration, but the damage is already done though and leaving the EU won’t undo this , it’ll just cause more hardship in the places that can least afford it.

The EU needs changing for sure and if my crystal ball is right the UK will stay and after brushing itself off can sit at the top table to make those changes happen for all of us.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Morning, glad you slept well, you appear to have missed a few comments but that seems par for the course on this thread.

I actually pointed out your position is very much understood at least by myself and you have every right to be angry at the negative impact of so many migrants in your area.

I also pointed out that Brexit is a great way of unleashing many people’s frustration, but the damage is already done though and leaving the EU won’t undo this , it’ll just cause more hardship in the places that can least afford it.

The EU needs changing for sure and if my crystal ball is right the UK will stay and after brushing itself off can sit at the top table to make those changes happen for all of us.
I always answer everybody who asks me a direct question. I dodge nobody in this thread, or anywhere else I post within city-data. Sometimes, folks just answer in a wide ranging way, not directly at me. As you saw last night, I was answering about three people here all at the same time. I am a multi tasker, even though my wife doesn't think so.......

I like to play around sometimes in this thread. I know I can come across as a Colonel Blimp type character. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have had left leaning ideals all of my life. I am no Conservative crusty old buffer.

I feel the ideals of the EU are good ones. But, it has become corrupted, and cannot even balance the books. The people operating within it like Juncker are feather nesters, making sure they are paid enormous salaries, with breathtaking pensions. It has become a club more concerned with its own internal matters, than looking out for member countries.

The right to move within the EU was meant so talented people could move within Europe at will. It wasn't meant for literally millions to move to a small island. This happening seemed of no concern to the EU, and us expressing dismay at the effects of this movement was dismissed.

This was the straw that broke the camels back for many especially English citizens. The vote was meant to go to remain, and was set up to do so. Politicians can be so stupid sometimes. But now, the feelings of millions of Britons towards the EU has been revealed. It's no longer a matter of quiet grumblings....... both politicians here and in the EU now understand the latent anger which has been revealed. The vote cannot be taken back.

Any attempts to keep us in the EU will be met with resistance, which will grow with the years, and may even turn to violence over time. We have said we want out. Politicians know this, and struggle to decide what best to do. There is only one answer, and that is to end freedom of movement to these islands. The EU will never agree to this, but that's what it would take to placate the folks who voted to leave the EU.

This is the reason for all the twisting and turning within Parliament. They know the genie is out of the bottle, and they can't put it back. So, their answer is a 'People's Vote', even though we already had one. They want another, going to remain, so they can say, "we will obey the will of the people." Don't make me laugh. All they're concerned about is remaining in the corrupt EU so many of them can stick their snouts in the trough. Just look at how many of them have left British politics for a big paying job in the EU.

So many of them live insulated lives, not seeing the mess so much of this country is in. Even local politicians very aware keep their mouths shut, and obey the party line. We have massive problems, and the EU is only one of them. But we are fed up of Eastern European criminals running drugs and prostitution rackets, and also gypsies picking pockets, and thieving in shops. Also some even begging in our streets, holding babies. It is very visual, and there for all to see. We are fed up of being told this is all part and parcel of EU membership. The rapidly growing population is also a very important issue.

We are told by some posters here, they are necessary because of an aging population. OK then, who will look after them as they age? Even more immigrants? More and more in these small islands? When will we be full? 80 million? 100 million? You think that's ridiculous? Well I don't. It has to be slowed down massively, or we're in big trouble. I don't want to see civil unrest in this country. I can see worse than that down the line, even a civil war. In England, surely not? I think yes, it's a huge possibility eventually.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:23 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Quote:

Why would the EU let us sit at the "top table" if we rescind Art 50?

I mean, we filed then ran around like headless chickens, were it repeatedly insulted by the leadership of the EU, then crawled back in. Do you think that gets us or loses us currency in the power stakes? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't gain us anything in the power stakes.

It shows world class weakness fear, and that the country prefers known scraps than hard work and potential gains. Really in my opinion we're showing the world we'd far prefer to be well appointed slaves than free thinking and acting people. There is no credibility in returning, we gain credibility in leaving, because it at very minimum demonstrates conviction, and determination, two things of critical importance in leading anything. I wouldn't consider a person who acted that way suitable for any leadership position, why would the EU think differently?

The only way to recover any international credibility is to stay the course and deal with the fall out. You don't get opportunity without risk, the bigger the risks, the larger the opportunities. Yes leaving is a huge risk, with huge opportunities, seemingly some prefer cheap holidays and prosecco over the huge opportunities we could capitalize on by leaving.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I always answer everybody who asks me a direct question. I dodge nobody in this thread, or anywhere else I post within city-data. Sometimes, folks just answer in a wide ranging way, not directly at me. As you saw last night, I was answering about three people here all at the same time. I am a multi tasker, even though my wife doesn't think so.......

I like to play around sometimes in this thread. I know I can come across as a Colonel Blimp type character. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have had left leaning ideals all of my life. I am no Conservative crusty old buffer.

I feel the ideals of the EU are good ones. But, it has become corrupted, and cannot even balance the books. The people operating within it like Juncker are feather nesters, making sure they are paid enormous salaries, with breathtaking pensions. It has become a club more concerned with its own internal matters, than looking out for member countries.

The right to move within the EU was meant so talented people could move within Europe at will. It wasn't meant for literally millions to move to a small island. This happening seemed of no concern to the EU, and us expressing dismay at the effects of this movement was dismissed.

This was the straw that broke the camels back for many especially English citizens. The vote was meant to go to remain, and was set up to do so. Politicians can be so stupid sometimes. But now, the feelings of millions of Britons towards the EU has been revealed. It's no longer a matter of quiet grumblings....... both politicians here and in the EU now understand the latent anger which has been revealed. The vote cannot be taken back.

Any attempts to keep us in the EU will be met with resistance, which will grow with the years, and may even turn to violence over time. We have said we want out. Politicians know this, and struggle to decide what best to do. There is only one answer, and that is to end freedom of movement to these islands. The EU will never agree to this, but that's what it would take to placate the folks who voted to leave the EU.

This is the reason for all the twisting and turning within Parliament. They know the genie is out of the bottle, and they can't put it back. So, their answer is a 'People's Vote', even though we already had one. They want another, going to remain, so they can say, "we will obey the will of the people." Don't make me laugh. All they're concerned about is remaining in the corrupt EU so many of them can stick their snouts in the trough. Just look at how many of them have left British politics for a big paying job in the EU.

So many of them live insulated lives, not seeing the mess so much of this country is in. Even local politicians very aware keep their mouths shut, and obey the party line. We have massive problems, and the EU is only one of them. But we are fed up of Eastern European criminals running drugs and prostitution rackets, and also gypsies picking pockets, and thieving in shops. Also some even begging in our streets, holding babies. It is very visual, and there for all to see. We are fed up of being told this is all part and parcel of EU membership. The rapidly growing population is also a very important issue.

We are told by some posters here, they are necessary because of an aging population. OK then, who will look after them as they age? Even more immigrants? More and more in these small islands? When will we be full? 80 million? 100 million? You think that's ridiculous? Well I don't. It has to be slowed down massively, or we're in big trouble. I don't want to see civil unrest in this country. I can see worse than that down the line, even a civil war. In England, surely not? I think yes, it's a huge possibility eventually.
Those are your reasons for voting and still wanting to leave the EU, all very valid for you

Other people have voted because they don't want a super state, other voted believing the lies fed to them by other self interested politicians like Boris which all turned out to be bull.

Many people voted in protest at the establishment in general never for one moment believing it would happen.

There were many reasons people voted the way they did all personal to those people.

Today if there is a vote we all know the result would be very different and this scares the life out of leavers because they will have lost that one in a million chance to take the country back 50 years.

We have to keep going forward together, yes things are not perfect but going backwards is a lot worse.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Those are your reasons for voting and still wanting to leave the EU, all very valid for you

Other people have voted because they don't want a super state, other voted believing the lies fed to them by other self interested politicians like Boris which all turned out to be bull.

Many people voted in protest at the establishment in general never for one moment believing it would happen.

There were many reasons people voted the way they did all personal to those people.

Today if there is a vote we all know the result would be very different and this scares the life out of leavers because they will have lost that one in a million chance to take the country back 50 years.

We have to keep going forward together, yes things are not perfect but going backwards is a lot worse.
Gungnir answered you better in his post above than I can. We have to see this through now.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:48 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:

Really? How do you 'know' that? Especially considering you are not even in the country? I can tell you now there are plenty of people 'over here' that voted 'stay' that would now vote 'leave', now that Junker and his cronies have shown their 'hand'. You don't have to be 'smart' to realise that British people in Spain are gonna think differently to people living in Leeds or Swansea. Personally I wouldn't even let Britons living outside of the UK have a vote in the first place.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Why would the EU let us sit at the "top table" if we rescind Art 50?

I mean, we filed then ran around like headless chickens, were it repeatedly insulted by the leadership of the EU, then crawled back in. Do you think that gets us or loses us currency in the power stakes? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't gain us anything in the power stakes.

It shows world class weakness fear, and that the country prefers known scraps than hard work and potential gains. Really in my opinion we're showing the world we'd far prefer to be well appointed slaves than free thinking and acting people. There is no credibility in returning, we gain credibility in leaving, because it at very minimum demonstrates conviction, and determination, two things of critical importance in leading anything. I wouldn't consider a person who acted that way suitable for any leadership position, why would the EU think differently?

The only way to recover any international credibility is to stay the course and deal with the fall out. You don't get opportunity without risk, the bigger the risks, the larger the opportunities. Yes leaving is a huge risk, with huge opportunities, seemingly some prefer cheap holidays and prosecco over the huge opportunities we could capitalize on by leaving.
The UKs standing on the world stage has been diminishing for the last 100 years but the Brits have always been thought of as the adult's in the room, around the world people are looking on gobsmacked at how daft the Brits have been acting and the mess being made of Brexit by the useless politicians, we do not look well from the outside.

All the talk of opportunities is pie in the sky, the empire is over, we need to stick together with Europe to have any clout at all on the world stage.

Sometimes you have to admit you are wrong and swallow that nasty tasting pill and get on with it, this is Britons time.

Last edited by britinspain; 02-26-2019 at 02:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Really? How do you 'know' that? Especially considering you are not even in the country? I can tell you now there are plenty of people 'over here' that voted 'stay' that would now vote 'leave', now that Junker and his cronies have shown their 'hand'. You don't have to be 'smart' to realise that British people in Spain are gonna think differently to people living in Leeds or Swansea. Personally I wouldn't even let Britons living outside of the UK have a vote in the first place.
And people in Harrogate and the Cotswolds will have different views to people in Leicester or Bradford.

You shouldn't be able to vote if you don't pay tax in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom