Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,854,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think Brexit was a HUGE mistake. I thought so the day it happened and I still think so now.

The world simply doesn't operate like it did in the 20th Century.
Norway and the Swiss are doing just fine. Why no hate towards them for not being part of the EU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 AM

27,286 posts, read 13,548,733 times
Brexit deal is now 90% there according to a senior EU Official, so it looks like a deal will be done. The EU were just holding out for as much money as they could.

Brexit deal 90% there, says senior EU official - The Times

Old 12-04-2017, 05:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,443,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Brexit deal is now 90% there according to a senior EU Official, so it looks like a deal will be done. The EU were just holding out for as much money as they could.
They seemed concerned about their official pensions. We've been screwed as I expected. No trade deal yet. They still want to make an example of us to frighten off anybody else wanting to leave.

They will want to give us as little as possible, and squeeze us dry. We should keep options open to just walk if we don't secure a decent trade deal.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 AM

27,286 posts, read 13,548,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
They seemed concerned about their official pensions. We've been screwed as I expected. No trade deal yet. They still want to make an example of us to frighten off anybody else wanting to leave.

They will want to give us as little as possible, and squeeze us dry. We should keep options open to just walk if we don't secure a decent trade deal.

They want the money and as you rightly point out their gold plated EU pensions.

A deal will be done because they won't get the money if no deal is done.

It just shows how grubby and disgusting the EU and it's unelected leaders are, and if anything only goes to show that we are best off out of it.

I think the pay off is going to amount to about 5 years membership charges, however it's worth it to get out of the EU once and for all.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,374 times
Quote:
They still want to make an example of us to frighten off anybody else wanting to leave.
From the point of view of EU mandarins...would it make sense to offer some version of a soft Brexit?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
From the point of view of EU mandarins...would it make sense to offer some version of a soft Brexit?
Hard to say what's going on in their minds. They are definitely concerned about us contributing to their gold plated pensions. They want a huge sum of money off us to help hold the EU edifice up.

The problem is how to skin us financially, and give as little in return as possible. Plus they have the worry of all the things they sell to us, and the employment and profit gained from this.

They are in the difficult situation of needing to throw us a bone, or we may decide we're wasting our time, and just walk, then just let the cards fall where they may. This would cause huge damage to us, and them as well.

I guess it's a staring contest. Who is going to blink first. But, we must always leave them with the doubt and fear we may just walk away, and if, as a last resort actually do it.

They're trying to wear us down, and give ever more ground. It doesn't help we have some in government looking for a way to remain in the EU. We need to be united, and stick to our guns. They are looking for doubt and weakness to exploit.

Plus I think some like Juncker hope for a snap General Election, with a new Labour government.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:24 AM

4,098 posts, read 3,738,799 times
These Ulster lot are really getting on my ****. And now Nicola is piping up again saying she wants what Northern Ireland doesn't want.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
These Ulster lot are really getting on my ****. And now Nicola is piping up again saying she wants what Northern Ireland doesn't want.
Yep, you can always depend on the Irish to throw a spanner in the works. We're gradually painting ourselves into a corner. If this carries on, then we will have to walk, and face the consequences of that.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:05 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,304,977 times
Quote:
Yep, you can always depend on the Irish to throw a spanner in the works. We're gradually painting ourselves into a corner. If this carries on, then we will have to walk, and face the consequences of that.
the DUP would be outraged at your labelling of them as " irish "

Old 12-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the DUP would be outraged at your labelling of them as " irish "
Not just the DUP, but the Irish government as well. Nothing but trouble for as long as anybody on the mainland can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom