Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 PM

29 posts, read 58,043 times

Advertisements

There's a possibility the company I work for may relocate me & my family to the Lincoln/Waddington area for work reasons.

Lincolnshire in general seems more rural living than, say, London. This doesn't bother me as we currently are living in a rural part of Virginia in the US and very much feel at home. I'm married with 3 children (elementary to high school ages) with, I'd say, an upper middle class income.

Knowing that, I would appreciate opinions on where to go vs. where to stay away from in terms of living and raising a family, lifestyle of the residents of that area, things to do, the weather, cost of living, etc. Just your overall impression of the place and how someone in my shoes might like (or hate!) it.

Thank you much in advance for any feedback and/or anecdotes.

As they say in the UK, cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 AM

27,270 posts, read 13,540,429 times
Not sure where to stay but Waddington has a big RAF Air Base there, so I would probably move somewhere a big quitet that Waddington itself.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 PM

Thanks BNW, but the Air Base is part of the reason we may go! So guess we'll have to get used to it!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,944,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville35 View Post
Thanks BNW, but the Air Base is part of the reason we may go! So guess we'll have to get used to it!
Lincolnshire is not that big ... a moderate commute and you can get out of the crowds.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM

308 posts, read 238,074 times
Lincolnshire is very flat in the main.the city of lincoln itself got some attractive bits,lovely cathederal and medeival streets.What its like to live in the city i dont know,in the past ive heard mixed views.same as anywhere i guess.

Avoid Boston at any cost,theres a lot of problems between the locals and East Europeans,also between Romanians and other East Europeans.it has a high crime rate for its size,much of it done by the locals incidentally.Boston had the highest OUT vote in the EU referendum.Im not sure you would get a nice welcome at all.

The main coastal towns are Skegness(known to all as Skeggy) and Mablethorpe.This time of the year they are packed out,but really dead in winter.They are what they are,typical faded British seaside resorts who had their best days in the 1950s.Ok for a fun day out though.

Further up the coast lies Cleethorpes,which is similar but bigger,it joins on to Grimsby,once one of Europes largest fishing towns.Almost all the trawlers are now gone and Grimsby now packs frozen fish in enormous factories.Fish thats flown in from Iceland daily!!! Ive friends in Grimsby,not as bad as its often painted and Cleethorpes worth a day out.

S.c.u.n.t.h.o.r.p.e is a steel town(well for the time being),not a lot going on and not somewhere i would recommend living.Dreadful 1960s built shopping area to boot.You cant even write its name on this site without full stops lol

Lincolnshire countryside is lovely,just very flat and towns like Stamford are well worth a visit.As for the weather,quite warm in summer and cold in winter.Well by British standards anyhow.The coast is known for its cold winds.

Hope that is a bit of help and good luck

Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Thank you "Ian Loves Dogs" for the virtual "tour" and your thoughts on those towns! I really appreciate it.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 PM

308 posts, read 238,074 times
Your welcome,i was in Grimsby for the best part of a week in May,and saw them nearly all bar Boston,but that makes the news often enough without the need to go.

i missed out by accident Louth,a small town,which is lovely though clogged by traffic(as is much of Lincolnshire),lots of 17th/18th century buildings.Bit more hilly there as well.

Incidentally,if you arent white you will be very much in a minority.Its not a place known for its racists,but its wise to be aware you will stand out.You wont find a single hairdresser who knows about black hair etc.If you are Hispanic,you will probably be thought to be Indian/Pakistani which in the current climate will draw some remarks about terrorists and the like.you could also be thought of as Portugese/Italian which is pretty neutral.This is because,outside of London its rare to meet an Hispanic.I dont like to bring it up but forewarned is forearmed.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Lincolnshire is not that big ... a moderate commute and you can get out of the crowds.
It's very big in terms of counties. The largest after "Yorkshire", which isn't really a county.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardms View Post
It's very big in terms of counties. The largest after "Yorkshire", which isn't really a county.
Well this post was well worth reviving an old thread...

Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Lincolnshire is very flat in the main.the city of lincoln itself got some attractive bits,lovely cathederal and medeival streets.What its like to live in the city i dont know,in the past ive heard mixed views.same as anywhere i guess.

Avoid Boston at any cost,theres a lot of problems between the locals and East Europeans,also between Romanians and other East Europeans.it has a high crime rate for its size,much of it done by the locals incidentally.Boston had the highest OUT vote in the EU referendum.Im not sure you would get a nice welcome at all.

The main coastal towns are Skegness(known to all as Skeggy) and Mablethorpe.This time of the year they are packed out,but really dead in winter.They are what they are,typical faded British seaside resorts who had their best days in the 1950s.Ok for a fun day out though.

Further up the coast lies Cleethorpes,which is similar but bigger,it joins on to Grimsby,once one of Europes largest fishing towns.Almost all the trawlers are now gone and Grimsby now packs frozen fish in enormous factories.Fish thats flown in from Iceland daily!!! Ive friends in Grimsby,not as bad as its often painted and Cleethorpes worth a day out.

S.c.u.n.t.h.o.r.p.e is a steel town(well for the time being),not a lot going on and not somewhere i would recommend living.Dreadful 1960s built shopping area to boot.You cant even write its name on this site without full stops lol

Lincolnshire countryside is lovely,just very flat and towns like Stamford are well worth a visit.As for the weather,quite warm in summer and cold in winter.Well by British standards anyhow.The coast is known for its cold winds.

Hope that is a bit of help and good luck
Think this person would be better living in London and SE England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom