Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,825,635 times

Advertisements

On an old coffee mug:

"See all, hear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, pay nowt. And if ever tha does owt for nowt, allus do it for thisen."

My family came from 'alifax. One gt grandmother from York (Temple Newsam), a gt gt grandmother, from some area of Bradford.
(Sorry, that's the genealogy kicking in.)

It's easier to understand when you see it written out. Back when I was in an online Yorkshire genealogy group, they used to have us baffled with their Yorkshire dialect sayings. It was unintelligible even in writing. I think they finally made a website for it and it's probably still out there somewhere. Back then Sheffield Univ. was studying the dying dialect. They had recordings of very old people and it was impossible to understand what they were saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,192,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks for the correction. There HAD to be someone who would really know how to spell it.
Ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
I'm just an American, but isn't it Keighley? Home of Timothy Taylor, the brewer of my favorite beer, Landlord?

Old 07-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Ahem

Oh, all right. YOU corrected the spelling.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:57 AM

RIght off, she uses that third person construction. You'll hear, "He were." She also used the "T" sound for "the." Her daddy "looks like a moooonky."

Usually, to be honest, I usually don't bother watching videos but this one is a classic and it's a CUTENESS overload. A darling little 3 year old girl, lotsa laffs and she LUVS 'er mummy and daddy. (This is short but worth watching.) Watch and smile:

http://www.welovesheffield.uk/magazi...ent-viral.html

Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,328,965 times
In south east London and Kent I always hear people saying "we was" doing this or "you was" doing that instead of "were". No idea how far it extends, but I correct my child so she knows the correct version, even if she says it differently around friends.

Last edited by Hengist; 08-01-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
In south east London and Kent I always hear people saying "we was" doing this or "you was" doing that instead of "were". No idea how far it extends, but I correct my child so she knows the correct version, even if she says it differently around friends.
We get that over here too but it's just low class English. Sometimes they say, "I seen" instead of "I saw."

BTW-------------HAPPY YORKSHIRE DAY----August 1st.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:28 PM

372 posts, read 577,859 times
Quote:
RIght off, she uses that third person construction. You'll hear, "He were." She also used the "T" sound for "the." Her daddy "looks like a moooonky."

Usually, to be honest, I usually don't bother watching videos but this one is a classic and it's a CUTENESS overload. A darling little 3 year old girl, lotsa laffs and she LUVS 'er mummy and daddy. (This is short but worth watching.) Watch and smile:

Girl with Yorkshire accent goes viral - We
You can enjoy hearing a lot of the Yorkshire dialect by watching the old "All Creatures Great and Small" series.

The guys in the movie "The Full Monty" have what seems to me a similar dialect, but not quite the same.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
You can enjoy hearing a lot of the Yorkshire dialect by watching the old "All Creatures Great and Small" series.

The guys in the movie "The Full Monty" have what seems to me a similar dialect, but not quite the same.
The Full Monty was Sheffield in Yorkshire.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 PM

372 posts, read 577,859 times
Quote:
The Full Monty was Sheffield in Yorkshire.
I knew it was set in Sheffield but didn't look to see that Sheffield is in Yorkshire. Thanks!
My UK geography skills are somewhat lacking.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
I knew it was set in Sheffield but didn't look to see that Sheffield is in Yorkshire. Thanks!
My UK geography skills are somewhat lacking.
That's okay, I don't know the rest of England very well. I only know Yorkshire because of family and genealogy. Used to be divided into Ridings, West Riding/WRY is the one I'm most familiar with but it gets very confusing!!!!!!! So confusing that I can barely stand to read about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom