Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
what a pity as its scum of the earth were getting into the UK from EU countries who are ripping the **** out of the country... maybe not all but a large percentage of them are. its too easy for them here. and they get everything including housing that people from here would love but will never get..
Whoever made the rules must be crazy. Good people can't get in but (others) can.

We can't get in either. We are retired, dh is British citizen who paid into the system his entire working life. HE can get in but he won't leave me here alone. We are retired and not rich. System is screwed up for those wanting to come here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,601,746 times
I wonder where the OP was thinking of living in the UK? most of the big cities have their problems.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Whoever made the rules must be crazy. Good people can't get in but (others) can.

We can't get in either. We are retired, dh is British citizen who paid into the system his entire working life. HE can get in but he won't leave me here alone. We are retired and not rich. System is screwed up for those wanting to come here too.
What's the issue?

I'm relocating back to the UK, and IIRC income needs to be £18k-£19k. (but dependent on living expenses, my income needs to be something like £9k because I own a house free and clear without encumbrances) If you receive private income from retirement funds that should follow you, and so should SSR. So I don't know what the issue is, my private income (and I'm not retired) covers the mandated minimum, plus I do contract Data and Software work which keeps me in beer, motorcycles, videogames and cars.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:26 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What's the issue?

I'm relocating back to the UK, and IIRC income needs to be £18k-£19k. (but dependent on living expenses, my income needs to be something like £9k because I own a house free and clear without encumbrances) If you receive private income from retirement funds that should follow you, and so should SSR. So I don't know what the issue is, my private income (and I'm not retired) covers the mandated minimum, plus I do contract Data and Software work which keeps me in beer, motorcycles, videogames and cars.

I agree,

If the husband is UK citizen and paid National Insurance there is no reason his income and your SS/ retirement accounts can't cover the mandated minimum.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 711 times
Wife and me, both US Citizens, wish to retire to the UK. We have two sons living in the UK with 4 Grandchildren, all grandchildren born to UK Citizen mothers, all kids UK Citizens. Sons have been living and working in the UK, both legally, for over 15 to 18 years each. We have US retirement income sufficient, we believe, to sustain our capacity to independently live and rent a home in the UK. Annual retirement income is approximately £.38,500 GBP, $50,200 US. Anyone with guidance or a suggested contact that can assist us in clarifying process and paperwork we need to follow?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
Hi, tainolopez
Nothing has changed since this thread was started. It is simply impossible for US citizens to retire to the UK as there is no retirement visa. There is a visa for "elderly dependent relatives" that would allow a UK citizen (or permanent legal resident) to sponser a parent but only under extreme circumstances. When they say dependent they mean one of two things:
a. someone who is physically or mentally incapable of looking after themselves and needs someone to wash, dress and feed them or
b. someone who is entirely financially dependent on the UK citizen and would be destitute if they did not receive money regularly from them.
There is also an investor visa but you need millions to qualify for that.
Sorry I can't give you any good news.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 443 times
What about just living in a London rental for a year or 2 at the most? I see 6 months is allowed, then can one apply to extend it up to 2 years? I am retired and can afford it. I'm in San Francisco and it is way more expensive to live there.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelEurope View Post
What about just living in a London rental for a year or 2 at the most? I see 6 months is allowed, then can one apply to extend it up to 2 years? I am retired and can afford it. I'm in San Francisco and it is way more expensive to live there.
You can't extend a visitor visa for up to 2 years. Its 6 months that's it.

You can apply for a innovator or start up visa (and start up a business within 3 months of entry), a student visa, a medical visa.

If you can prove right of abode you could get residency.

Also remember you'd need to pay for UK health coverage now £1000 per year.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:50 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
The following is from https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa Bolding mine.

"If you need to visit the UK regularly If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit."

"Your visa may be cancelled and you may get a long-term ban on visiting if your travel history shows you’re repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods."

Also,
The fee for a long-term Standard Visitor visa depends on its length:
  • 2 years - £361
  • 5 years - £655
  • 10 years - £822

Old 07-27-2019, 11:20 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Odd that the UK makes it so difficult for US retirees with a good, steady income stream to get a simple long term residence permit that excludes work or business activity. I was looking for the chance to live in Europe for a year or two after I retired, but chose Germany as my home base.

I arrived in Leipzig on May 1 on a 90 day tourist visa. Just a few weeks ago, I was able to get a 2 year residence permit in Germany (no work or business allowed) and my monthly retirement income is a bit under $5K USD. It was very easy, just had to show EU health insurance coverage, proof of income, proof of permanent address in Germany, pay a 100 Euro fee, fill out the 3 page form, and a 10 minute application review with a foreign office case worker. I speak German quite well, so this was not so difficult. A week later, I got my approval letter in the mail, and in August I go to pick up my ID card. After all I had read about how difficult it is for a non EU resident to arrive and simply apply to live in Europe for a year or two, I was a bit surprised that it worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom