Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:52 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,856 times

Advertisements

Well folks, I´ve been out living in Spain (Andalucía) for almost 5 years. Due to many reasons (low pay, corruption, little job opportunities) my fiancé and I have decided to move back to Scotland.
My fiancé is from Spain, he works 6 days a week for very little money, I was teaching English but I barely cleared €800 per month gross. I´d be alone Monday to Saturday until 1530, we are rural. I was depressed being alone plus with my mother being alone back in Scotland. I think the job opportunities are much better back home, things seem to be better, better career opportunities, I don´t find things that much more expensive (some of the fruit and veg yes). Many things are more expensive here. I will really miss the outdoors lifestyle but as my partner said, at least we can come here on holiday and retire. I was told that the door is always open for me to return to teach and my partner still has his job to return to also.
We both have jobs in Scotland.

I can´t believe that my Dad passed away almost 2 years ago...I am still battling depression/terrible grief. I think I am in limbo, I am all over the place. For now I believe I´m doing the right thing. My fiancé wants to try the experience of living in a different country...lots of Spanish are moving to the UK for jobs. I had a good life here apart from being alone every day while my fiancé was working. It´s ok if my mother was coming to visit but she likes to go home too and she has been really bad. I think us moving back will help her too.

I think the only problem that I have about moving back is getting used to the weather again in Scotland, I´ll really miss the weather here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Welcome back home.. and hope it turns out well for you both...

Old 09-17-2016, 02:20 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,065,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Well folks, I´ve been out living in Spain (Andalucía) for almost 5 years. Due to many reasons (low pay, corruption, little job opportunities) my fiancé and I have decided to move back to Scotland.
My fiancé is from Spain, he works 6 days a week for very little money, I was teaching English but I barely cleared €800 per month gross. I´d be alone Monday to Saturday until 1530, we are rural. I was depressed being alone plus with my mother being alone back in Scotland. I think the job opportunities are much better back home, things seem to be better, better career opportunities, I don´t find things that much more expensive (some of the fruit and veg yes). Many things are more expensive here. I will really miss the outdoors lifestyle but as my partner said, at least we can come here on holiday and retire. I was told that the door is always open for me to return to teach and my partner still has his job to return to also.

I can´t believe that my Dad passed away almost 2 years ago...I am still battling depression/terrible grief. I think I am in limbo, I am all over the place. For now I believe I´m doing the right thing. My fiancé wants to try the experience of living in a different country...lots of Spanish are moving to the UK for jobs. I had a good life here apart from being alone every day while my fiancé was working. It´s ok if my mother was coming to visit but she likes to go home too and she has been really bad. I think us moving back will help her too.

I think the only problem that I have about moving back is getting used to the weather again in Scotland, I´ll really miss the weather here.
First of all, sorry to hear about your Dad. It might be easier for both you and your mother, if you move back, as at least you'll both have each other.

I lived in England for several years, before moving back to Wales (still within the UK for me, so hardly much of a difference). I did notice however, that everyone's lives seemed to have stayed the same, whereas I'd 'moved on' a bit, as I'd experienced living in a different place. So, whatever life was like before you left for Spain, it will probably go back to being like that again.

Yes, you'll have to get used to the totally different weather - one your fiancé won't be used to at all! Also, food prices have gone up over the past few years, but I guess you'll get used to it after a while.

It's good that you both have jobs when you move - that will make things a lot easier. And it's good that your fiancé doesn't mind moving to a different country. I hope it all works out for you. Sometimes you have to take a chance on things. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,535,624 times
I'm sorry to hear about your dad

I know Spain has had it in that respect... I've had mates out there and came home.

Welcome back home

Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Hi everyone thanks for the nice comments. I know it´s been almost 2 years but for us it feels like a week. Still very fresh in the mind. My head is all over the place, I think it´s the grief and depression. Starting to feel bad about moving to Scotland I will miss it for sure. My fiancé on the other hand is really looking forward to the move he loves everything about Scotland, even the weather. He is looking forward to earning good money and working 5 days a week, not 6. In Spain I don´t think the jobs are good (pay, contracts, rights, managers). He says at least we can come back on holiday. I will be working for the government so I´ll earn much more than what I have been in Spain. I think it´s quite difficult to save in Spain because of the low salaries. Cost of living is more expensive now, wages have never gone up.

I wonder if things will ever get better in Spain??

Old 09-19-2016, 06:59 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
It's understandable. The economic situation in Spain at the moment is pretty bleak, things seem far more positive in Scotland on that front.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,065,675 times
Quote:
Hi everyone thanks for the nice comments. I know it´s been almost 2 years but for us it feels like a week. Still very fresh in the mind. My head is all over the place, I think it´s the grief and depression. Starting to feel bad about moving to Scotland I will miss it for sure. My fiancé on the other hand is really looking forward to the move he loves everything about Scotland, even the weather. He is looking forward to earning good money and working 5 days a week, not 6. In Spain I don´t think the jobs are good (pay, contracts, rights, managers). He says at least we can come back on holiday. I will be working for the government so I´ll earn much more than what I have been in Spain. I think it´s quite difficult to save in Spain because of the low salaries. Cost of living is more expensive now, wages have never gone up.

It sounds like you'll have a better quality of life, moving back, if you both have decent jobs. And maybe you will become a bit happier in yourself, after a while. You'll probably get used to the change in weather eventually, but just think about the holidays when you can go back to Spain!

You're lucky that your fiancé is on board with moving. As I know that some couples who are from different areas, have disagreements about where to live. This happened to my school friend and her husband - and they were only from different areas in Wales! But he wouldn't budge, and she was a bit resentful about moving away from her family, to live where he lived.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:38 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,148 times
Quote:

Welcome back Scotslass!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:18 AM

Thank you

Old 10-23-2016, 09:19 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,622,407 times
Quote:

Buddy, first of all sorry to hear that about your dad.

Inside Spain, haven't you think to move to another region?

Andalucia and Extremadura are like other worlds inside Spain. I have a british lad which came to Alicante in July and in August he was working as a translator teacher earning 1.500€ net per month working 6 hours a day 5 days in the week. In Spain the avg wage is close to 1.900€ (brut), I've never heard of wages of 800€ for full-time jobs, only on part-time jobs. This makes me think what a big difference can be between a region and another.

In Andalucia the corruption is quite big if we walk about Western European standards, but is low-medium if we talk about overall European standards. Lots of good jobs and public jobs in towns from Andalucia get cherry picked to persons of their own family, or neighbours, or friends, etc. But this happens in towns, not in cities. The corruption in Spain is at government scale, like in France or Italy, I mean it doesn't affect on the health (health expectancy nor quality are still among the top 5 of Europe), wages, education, police, security, etc... unless in those small towns of Andalucia where happens the cherry pick chooses, Andalucia has lots of ongoing corruption cases. From a couple of years ago the Spanish economy is growing at giant steps (and now S&P or Fitch's ratings are BBB+), recovering the GDP which had before of the crisis, and more than 2 million persons which were unemployed have now jobs (from 5.9M unemployed people at it's peak to 3.8M nowadays), but yes, it has still 4-5 years to fully recover the employment levels which were before the crisis and obviously job options are better on Scotland than in all of southern Europe.

Have you thought in moving to Scotland for 2-3-4 years and then come back again to Spain? Or moving to another place inside Spain... like Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid... Madrid, Navarra, the Basque Country, Cantabria and the north of Galicia have unemployment rates as low as France or Belgium, you can save something in Scotland and then try again in any of those places, as a native English speaker you can do translate jobs or teaching jobs.

I hope that you will do it well and recover your zest. Have a great day man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom