Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,167 times

Advertisements

I promise I've done a lot of research and I apologize for starting yet another thread about this.

I'm a US citizen, my great-grandparents and their families were from Ireland and Scotland, and unfortunately I no longer have any relatives living in either place.

I love Scotland (Inverness and Edinburgh top my list of favorite places) and every time I visit, it saddens me to leave. The people are wonderful and it feels more like home than anywhere else I've ever lived. It is also nice to not stand out as a ginger!! I just "fit" better there and have promised myself that I would figure out a way to relocate soon.
(a bit more about me: 39, divorced, no kids, no pets currently, currently reducing the amount of clothes and shoes in my closets so hopefully it would be a pretty easy move)

A prospective employer has asked me if I am willing to pay for my own work visa, or if I would require a sponsor. My question is this: I am certainly willing to pay for it myself, but wouldn't an employer also need to sponsor me? I don't see any way to obtain a visa without a sponsor. Also, is this common practice? I don't want to seem pushy or greedy; I'm a very meek person actually.

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, and I would be very grateful for any advice/insight anyone can offer.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by SouthernGinger77; 09-23-2016 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,890 times
Your prospective employer doesn't seem very clued up. Check to see if his company is on this list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onsors-workers
If it isn't, he needs to apply for a sponsorship licence as only he can sponsor you. Also check to see if the job is on this list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ccupation-list
If it isn't, he would need to show that he can't find any qualified applicant in the whole of the EU despite extensive advertising or the work visa application will be thrown out.
Good Luck.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,167 times
Thank you so much for your help.

The company is listed in the first link, and the job is more or less in the second (perhaps not exactly, though). I will ask about that.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:12 AM

169 posts, read 169,114 times
Basically, it's hard as you know what for us Americans trying to escape this place and move to the UK short of marrying Ellie Goulding lol. I researched high and low on finding ways to work for the NHS because I'm an MD and it seems near impossible. Probably not, but a ton of work. I guess if my heart is really set on it, I'd put in the effort (which I honestly haven't actually given up on.....or. Ellie lol again)

Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,978,748 times
It is kind of crazy. I have a daughter, born and raised in Canada, who is living in Edinburgh, working as a teacher and who became a British citizen on the strength of my being born in England though I only lived there for 6 months before my parents moved me away. Had I not been born there though I could still have been a British citizen because my father was born and grew up in Wales, however I do not believe my daughter could have. Nor could she be American, although I am too.

I would caution you though that having too many options is probably as bad if not worse than none. There are too many things we don't (or at least many of us don't) think about when we take off for parts unknown - and most relate to that time when we finally 'retire' ... when we may see benefits cut because we were not in our 'home country' long enough, etc. or, in the case of those who are American, at tax time every year (no matter what you do, you cannot currently escape being American if you are unless you renounce citizenship and even that has become costly and difficult - and unless you are rich, you could find this a big problem - don't ask how I know). I found these things out the hard way. The grass may seem greener but sometimes I think the paint wears off faster than one would like.

That said, if you hanker after Scotland, maybe you could find an American company that has a branch there and perhaps you could see about a position there for them, if not now, then down the line after you have worked for them for a while. Otherwise, maybe you could just save up and take a long sabbatical there someday.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 AM

13,649 posts, read 10,045,306 times
I'd have to ask you; At what time of the year have you visited?

It's worth a visit/stay in the middle of winter, just to find the harsh reality of life that far north. It's cold up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom